Russian Open Gavin Rumgay Commentary

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Its nice to finally create a post to you all you table tennis admirers out there!

I would really like to hear your views on my commentary at the recent GAC Group Russian World Tour in Ekaterinburg!

Did you find my commentary intriguing?

Was it interesting? Did it have you on the edge of your seats? What about the technical and tactical knowledge I was sharing with you all?

Can myself (Expert Commentator-as the ITTF call it) & John Burgess (General Commentator) work well together?

I would love to hear your comments.....

I am hoping to become a big part of the World Tour Series for 2013 onwards.....

Thanks Gavin Rumgay (Scotland No 1)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
I can only copy in here what I already said in the other topic about your commentary..

That was great!!
Anyways - why this Gavin is not here??
He should make some posts too, right??
I was very happy to hear him commentating again, just he was too downtrodden by this John, who at some point, simply had to mention and talk a little about Ma Lin, who wasnt even in this tournament.. That guy should go and propose to Ma Lin, he would refuse and John would jump from the cliff, lol

I am happy for Gavin commentatin, he is seeing things like no other commentator I know. He is thinking or trying to think just like the players playing. He is trying to analyze what their strategy is, what they are trying to do! Not talking about when they played who or who they beat in earlier rounds.
We can find that info online too! But to tell us that they use no spin serves and trying to attack in there or in there, that is something we didnt hear before! And THAT is what we can really learn from! Because - this part of the game is often not learned or explained so this is opportunity for us and I am happy that Gavin was there to tell us! I hope he will commentate as often as possible!

So I quit this post with shout:

GO, GAVIN, GO!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Thanks for your commentary Gavin. It's always great to hear from a player's perspective. You pick up on so much more than John, and your voice doesn't annoy me like his does. :p
A tournament with yourself and Matthew Syed commentating would be fantastic. Knowledgeable voices are something the online table tennis community is missing, and I for one am glad you're on board Gavin. Keep up the good work ;)

trg

says thought I'd share :-)...

trg

says thought I'd share :-)...
Jun 2011
Hi Gavin, I thought you did a great job at the Russian Open.

I agree with other people here that your experience playing at international level is important I think as it allows you to provide some insights into
the details of some of the rallies, shots, mental aspects etc. I personally would like more of that.
Also, you anekdote on the your doubles experience playing against Xu Xin and Zhang Jike was great - more of that stuff too, please!

I remember one Pro Tour event where former German headcoach Richard Prause was a guest commentator, and it was brilliant cause he brought so much insight and stories into it. How about once in a while inviting in coaches or players from various teams/nations go give their view/insights?

Thanks again - and congrats on having an amazing job that allows you to travel the world and watch world-class table tennis!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Lovely to hear your insight there! I can really see that the fact I am still playing on the World Tour and coming up against some of these top guys is added to the excitement! Cheers for your time!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Hi Gavin, I thought you did a great job at the Russian Open.

I agree with other people here that your experience playing at international level is important I think as it allows you to provide some insights into
the details of some of the rallies, shots, mental aspects etc. I personally would like more of that.
Also, you anekdote on the your doubles experience playing against Xu Xin and Zhang Jike was great - more of that stuff too, please!

I remember one Pro Tour event where former German headcoach Richard Prause was a guest commentator, and it was brilliant cause he brought so much insight and stories into it. How about once in a while inviting in coaches or players from various teams/nations go give their view/insights?

Thanks again - and congrats on having an amazing job that allows you to travel the world and watch world-class table tennis!
Agreed completely!
I was always wondering, during time-out or inbetween the games, what the coach is telling the player ??
I never heared this, only once when I watched Korbel - he said :
"Skusím ledničku!" .. which in general means: "I will try the fridge" .. which makes no sense, lol :D
Maybe some code or what..
Anyways - inviting coaches and another players is always great!
yes, yes, and yes again, try that!
We have Womens World cup comming up, will you commentate there??
I hope so and I also hope some coach or player will be happy to assist you..
Daniela Dodean for example, and you would be happy as she is pretty beautiful too, lol ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I am hoping to do the World Tour Finals in China in December.... Fingers crossed with that but the selection is out of my control!

In regards to Dodean, I think that would work well for sure.... Equivalent of Maria Sharapova sitting beside me in the commentary box at the US Open!!!!! I like it!

In all seriousness though, I hope to deliver a high quality service for viewers like you. Kind regards, Gavin

says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
Administrator
Oct 2010
Just seen this cool photo posted by Gavin Rumgay's new club on facebook. Gavin now plays for inside ppcv in Pro B :)

He is on the micro phone

rumnewclub.jpg