Saudi Smash 2024

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
I don't remember Bobrow in his first days to be sincere, but I can't recall hearing complaints about him.
But I'm taking your word for it since you've been watching him longer than I have.

With regards to Riley, what annoys me more than his commentary is his accent. I can't stand it and sometimes I can't understand what he's saying.
Ok I understand that's local the accent where he grew up, but with international viewers from all over the world, WTT should have chosen someone with a more neutral accent.
Stop hating on northern accents.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
My only beef with the commenting is Fraser's co-commentator (sorry didn't get his name). He's constantly talking during the points. When Fraser does solo commentary, he doesn't talk during the point mostly. Part of my enjoyment of table tennis is the sound of the ball interacting with blade and/or table. Certain sports have unique, pleasant sounds such as the swish of a basketball or the crack of a baseball bat. Speed glue sound was the best, but even now the cracking or tock sound is pleasant to me. Occasionally, I'll click on a match on YouTube with Asian commentators who literally talk non-stop and that is just unwatchable for me.
There's so much dead time in table tennis anyway they just need to just pause whatever they're talking about for a second or two and focus on the action before starting up the topic again.

But I do appreciate a bit of noise outside of the sound of the game itself. Gasps and oohs and ahhs from the crowd really add to the tension and atmosphere and makes everything a lot more exciting. Lately we only get any audience reaction when Chinese players are playing, so in the presence of a lame crowd I don't mind the commentators filling that role.

Reactions: jbvttcc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I don't remember Bobrow in his first days to be sincere, but I can't recall hearing complaints about him.
But I'm taking your word for it since you've been watching him longer than I have.

With regards to Riley, what annoys me more than his commentary is his accent. I can't stand it and sometimes I can't understand what he's saying.
Ok I understand that's local the accent where he grew up, but with international viewers from all over the world, WTT should have chosen someone with a more neutral accent.
I understand where you are coming from. He does use a lot of British slang as well but in the modern world, I guess we are supposed to be open to all kinds of diversity.

says Master blocker
says Master blocker
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
I understand where you are coming from. He does use a lot of British slang as well but in the modern world, I guess we are supposed to be open to all kinds of diversity.
It's not a matter of tolerance to diversity but rather practicality. International viewers are not accustomed to local accents and WTT should consider this. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know but at least that's the way I see it.

Last edited:
says Master blocker
says Master blocker
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
Despite his loss to Lin Shidong, Noshad "the Wizard" Alamiyan reminds you why you have no right to complain when someone serves you off the table and blocks you down at the club level by doing it to world class players and winning points.
I've read that he has sometype of a neurological problem and he can't top spin from his FH and that's why he has such an unusual playing style.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
It's not a matter of tolerance to diversity but rather practicality. International are not accustomed to local accents and WTT should consider this. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know but at least that's the way I see it.
I think you're right that the "standard" American English accent is most easily understood by most of the world due to about a century worth of Hollywood influence.

Still, I've been told by my Vietnamese ex girlfriend that my typically Californian accent was difficult to understand compared to her Singaporean friends' English. I'm all for diversity and enjoy a range of English accents but I would probably draw the line at Singlish (no offense to our Singaporeans here) :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Arkady
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
It's not a matter of tolerance to diversity but rather practicality. International are not accustomed to local accents and WTT should consider this. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know but at least that's the way I see it.
As a northerner myself, i find Bobrow's American accent far more irritating, as well as the constant stories he tells about having dinner with the players families etc.

Reactions: enj and NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
So it's not forgotten about, wanted to highlight how well Maharu Yoshimura played from the qualifying rounds all the way until today. Guy is still super athletic at the ripe old table tennis age of 30 and gave WCQ everything he could handle for the first 3 games. Some amazing rallies in that one.

Reactions: driversbeat
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I will go on record to say that I thought Miu had a better shot at beating CM than Miwa in the team final a few months back.

Maybe I don't know better than the Japanese national team coaching staff after all? :unsure:

Seriously though that was both uncomfortable and incredible to watch.
Nah, it is the Chinese coaching staff you underestimate. Unless you are like Miwa and continually evolving at too rapid a rate to pin down comfortably, or using long pips which thry do not have time to clone yet, they continually improve the practice clones and countermeasures against your playing style until they can recite your weaknesses and place the ball where you hate it in their sleep.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Nah, it is the Chinese coaching staff you underestimate. Unless you are like Miwa and continually evolving at too rapid a rate to pin down comfortably, or using long pips which thry do not have time to clone yet, they continually improve the practice clones and countermeasures against your playing style until they can recite your weaknesses and place the ball where you hate it in their sleep.
That's a good point that we were all talking about on that day when CNT women were fallen to pips. Specific preparation for the perceived top threats plays a huge role in this whole situation. This tends to make the wins and close losses by the perceived foreign 'ace' a bit more impressive and reasonable.