SDC Handmade Blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
This blade has a very similar composition to the one I've just posted, the biggest difference is the use of S-AxC instead of AxC. It's a bit faster, springier, but still very soft in the realm of composite blades.

Available FS.

- Limba / Ayous / S-AxC / Ayous / S-AxC / Ayous / Limba
- 90.5g
- 5.9mm
- 158x152mm
- ST(102x28.0x23.0mm)
- 1380Hz
- Balance: 3.4cm (Med)

874-1.jpg

874-2.jpg

874-3.jpg

874-4.jpg
wow, a lot of effort went into making the handle...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Keeping with the inner fiber concept for maximum feeling and touch, I tried to make this one even faster than the previous blade I posted. That can easily be done by thickening the core, the problem is that the composition was already on the heavy side, so I switched from Ayous to Kiri which is lighter. That allowed me to use a thicker core while having a lower weight. I must say that this blade is one of my recent favorites, it has an exceptional feel, with "outer fiber" type speed.

Available FS.

- Limba / Ayous / S-AxC / Kiri / S-AxC / Ayous / Limba
- 89.0g
- 6.4mm
- 158x152mm
- ST(102x28.0x23.0mm)
- 1421Hz
- Balance: 3.2cm (Med)

866-1.jpg

866-2.jpg

866-3.jpg

866-4.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
Keeping with the inner fiber concept for maximum feeling and touch, I tried to make this one even faster than the previous blade I posted. That can easily be done by thickening the core, the problem is that the composition was already on the heavy side, so I switched from Ayous to Kiri which is lighter. That allowed me to use a thicker core while having a lower weight. I must say that this blade is one of my recent favorites, it has an exceptional feel, with "outer fiber" type speed.
Would the feeling and touch increased / same / decreased if you would have still used thick Ayous core?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Would the feeling and touch increased / same / decreased if you would have still used thick Ayous core?
That question doesn't have a direct answer. Ayous, samba, obeche, abachi, different names for the same species depending on the region where it comes from, can greatly vary in density as well. I have cores ranging from 300 - 450 Kg/m3, that's a lot, and with wood, density and hardness are directly proportional (within the same species of course). From experience, I prefer using a dense Kiri core rather than a light Ayous one, those are usually too soft. The average density is around 380 kg/m3, and that's what I like to use, in that case we could assume a slightly harder feeling (apart from the weight increase). If the density was higher then the hardness and weight would increase even more, but you could also expect more speed and more "kick" on higher gears. In essence, it would feel like a different blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Is it a secret or would you tell me where you get your kiri cores from?
It's not a secret, as many big manufacturers do, you can easily get it from china. But because I like to have the widest range possible for density, I also source them from different locations (those I will keep a secret 😅). I also buy locally, but here they grow Paulownia Tomentosa, which is a bit different than the usual Paulownia Elongata.

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
It's not a secret, as many big manufacturers do, you can easily get it from china. But because I like to have the widest range possible for density, I also source them from different locations (those I will keep a secret 😅). I also buy locally, but here they grow Paulownia Tomentosa, which is a bit different than the usual Paulownia Elongata.
Thanks for the reply- i was hoping you have a cheaper source as i think its too expensive from china.
I could give you 2 sources from germany, if you want...

This user has no status.
Thanks for the reply- i was hoping you have a cheaper source as i think its too expensive from china.
I could give you 2 sources from germany, if you want...
You guys talking about places that actually make the cores and send several sheets of wood? Or like lumber yards to go buy a big stick and make your own?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
You guys talking about places that actually make the cores and send several sheets of wood? Or like lumber yards to go buy a big stick and make your own?
First option. I still don't have the possibility to re-saw wood myself, I don't even have a nice wood planer like you 😅.

This user has no status.
First option. I still don't have the possibility to re-saw wood myself, I don't even have a nice wood planer like you 😅.
I’m surprised I thought for sure you did. Really no need since you have good sources that make whatever thicknesses you want, I could never find a place except for years ago I ordered some paulownia.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I’m surprised I thought for sure you did. Really no need since you have good sources that make whatever thicknesses you want, I could never find a place except for years ago I ordered some paulownia.
I still do, just not with a nice planer. I buy them thicker than I need and then bring them down as required.

Reactions: CCBladecraft
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I often get asked about the fastest blade possible, but not so much about the slowest one. Well, I decided to build it anyway... This is the slowest (still playable) blade I've ever built. Honestly, I don't even know how this will perform, there is almost no bounce! But if you do get the ball to cross to the other side of the table, you will surely annoy the hell out of your opponent 😅.

Available FS.

- Ayous / Balsa / Balsa / Balsa / Ayous
- 56.0g
- 5.2mm
- 161x155mm
- ST(102x28.0x23.0mm)
- 840Hz
- Balance: 2.4cm (Low)

887-1.jpg

887-2.jpg

887-3.jpg

I often get asked about the fastest blade possible, but not so much about the slowest one. Well, I decided to build it anyway... This is the slowest (still playable) blade I've ever built. Honestly, I don't even know how this will perform, there is almost no bounce! But if you do get the ball to cross to the other side of the table, you will surely annoy the hell out of your opponent 😅.

Available FS.

- Ayous / Balsa / Balsa / Balsa / Ayous
- 56.0g
- 5.2mm
- 161x155mm
- ST(102x28.0x23.0mm)
- 840Hz
- Balance: 2.4cm (Low)
⚠️ Caution fragile!⚠️:D

• Haha
Reactions: latej and hipnotic
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
The Persson Power Play is another popular blade, but still considered a bit slow for the new ball. This is an interpretation of that composition, but with a small change in the orientation of the plies and swapping the "foil" layer for a very thin unidirectional carbon, in order to make it faster.

Available FS.

- Koto / Uni-C / Ayous / Ayous / Ayous / Uni-C / Koto
- 91.0g
- 5.9mm
- 155x150mm
- FL (103x25.0mm)
- 1356Hz
- Balance: 3.5cm (Med)

891-1.jpg

891-2.jpg

891-3.jpg

Reactions: P1ngP0ng3r
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
A very thick, stiff and light Balsa core blade with a compact head size and Hinoki outer layers. The main characteristic of this blade is that it doesn't feel as bouncy as expected from this type of construction. Instead, due to the 3 carbon layers, it gets progressively faster with harder shots, and despite not being a speed monster, it provides a better balance between passive/active shots, than some Balsa blades out there.

Available FS.

- Hinoki / Soft-Carbon / Balsa / Soft-Carbon / Balsa / Soft-Carbon / Hinoki
- 76.4g
- 8.25mm
- 154x148mm
- FL (101x25mm)
- 1765Hz
- Balance: 1.8cm (Very Low)

890-1.jpg

890-2.jpg

890-3.jpg

Reactions: Haraold