SDC Handmade Blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I have seen this carbon core before but I can’t remember where hmm lol.
Lots of places probably, there are some blades that use a center composite layer.

You may have seen it back in 2020, the first center composite blade I made: https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/topics/sdc-handmade-blades.19018/post-331966

or in 2022 when I posted this one: https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/topics/sdc-handmade-blades.19018/post-361271

However, although I never posted it here, I made this almost same composition also in 2021 (#393)

393-7.jpg

Reactions: CCBladecraft
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Carbon in the center, don't think I've seen that before. What's the point with this?

Cheers
L-zr

Edit: can’t be for the hardness , Stiffness ? Weight ?
Instead of using 2 harder carbon layers, I use 3 softer ones, this dilutes the difference and takes away some of that "balsa feeling".

Reactions: Lazer
This user has no status.
Lots of places probably, there are some blades that use a center composite layer.

You may have seen it back in 2020, the first center composite blade I made: https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/topics/sdc-handmade-blades.19018/post-331966

or in 2022 when I posted this one: https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/topics/sdc-handmade-blades.19018/post-361271

However, although I never posted it here, I made this almost same composition also in 2021 (#393)

393-7.jpg
bingo 2021 is the one! I sent a very similar blade to our friend in France. You don’t experience warping taking out the koto cross ply?

This user has no status.
Exactly, it was him who requested this composition from me. No warping at all 🙂
I knew it was him who asked you to copy it. After that I was pretty much done with that guy. Never again. Anyways, that blade from 2021 that you made is called “boomslang” and was created by Charlie from BBC. Pretty sweet blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022
I have a BBC Triflex that I purchased over 10 years ago which has 3 carbon layers. It has been discontinued for several years.

It is a very fast blade that plays great with SP.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I knew it was him who asked you to copy it. After that I was pretty much done with that guy. Never again. Anyways, that blade from 2021 that you made is called “boomslang” and was created by Charlie from BBC. Pretty sweet blade.
If I ceased communication with everyone who asks me to "copy" a blade, I wouldn't have any customers 😂. I have a good relationship with him, no problem whatsoever.

When I build something out of the top of my head it's usually different, or I try to put some kind of twist on an existing composition, but the truth is that there are good established formulas, and some customers seek those proven formulas, so at this point everyone is copying each other, even big brands. Of course I also have many unique compositions and custom tailored from scratch to specific needs, so there's a bit of everything going...

This user has no status.
If I ceased communication with everyone who asks me to "copy" a blade, I wouldn't have any customers 😂. I have a good relationship with him, no problem whatsoever.

When I build something out of the top of my head it's usually different, or I try to put some kind of twist on an existing composition, but the truth is that there are good established formulas, and some customers seek those proven formulas, so at this point everyone is copying each other, even big brands. Of course I also have many unique compositions and custom tailored from scratch to specific needs, so there's a bit of everything going...
Yeah of course I get that. But there’s a difference, and you knew what you were doing. I know you’ve been doing this long enough to understand that.

Im aware of the blades most people use and what’s out there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Yeah of course I get that. But there’s a difference, and you knew what you were doing. I know you’ve been doing this long enough to understand that.

Im aware of the blades most people use and what’s out there.
I'm not sure what you mean but ok. You're turning this into a whole thing when it doesn't need to be. My customer wanted that composition made with Kiso Hinoki and a French flag inspired handle. I could do it so that's what I did.

393-1.jpg

Reactions: SamTheMan
This user has no status.
I'm not sure what you mean but ok. You're turning this into a whole thing when it doesn't need to be. My customer wanted that composition made with Kiso Hinoki and a French flag inspired handle. I could do it so that's what I did.

393-1.jpg
My point is if I take a blade makers unique composition or idea, such as that one, I wouldn’t make it without giving credit. When I make a BBC blade it’s stated that’s what it is, the hardbats I’m working right now are stated as hock clones or hock inspired whichever I put. Even though Bernard has passed I feel it’s respectful to admit, I didn’t come up with a three ply birch core, he did. Just like you didn’t come up with that composition and I know you were aware it was another blademakers blade. It doesn’t hurt to give credit where credit is due. If that’s not your style then it is what it is.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
My point is if I take a blade makers unique composition or idea, such as that one, I wouldn’t make it without giving credit. When I make a BBC blade it’s stated that’s what it is, the hardbats I’m working right now are stated as hock clones or hock inspired whichever I put. Even though Bernard has passed I feel it’s respectful to admit, I didn’t come up with a three ply birch core, he did. Just like you didn’t come up with that composition and I know you were aware it was another blademakers blade. It doesn’t hurt to give credit where credit is due. If that’s not your style then it is what it is.
I make it one of my life's leading values to be fair to others, so don't question my integrity please. How could I credit anyone if I didn't even post the blade? The only reason we are talking about it is because you brought it up, you might have seen it somewhere, but not from me.

As for this most recent one, I think it's different enough that I don't need to credit anyone. I would do it without a problem if I had "taken" the composition like you say, but it wasn't even my thought process when I created the blade. It was a 3+2 blade where I added a third carbon layer because I didn't feel it would have been stable enough, not a BBC blade where I removed the Koto layers, so it didn't even cross my mind. I don't look to the side to see what others are doing, I look ahead. I only know that blade from BBC because someone requested it, I don't know who Bernard is and I have no idea what other blademakers are doing because I have enough concerns with my own work.

NDH

says Spin to win!
I'm going to defend @hipnotic here (I have no bias either way).

I understand what you are saying about giving credit, and I would agree with you in most situations.

But custom table tennis blades? That's a hard one because the reality is..... There is only so much you can do?

Just look at Butterfly and their 4506 different blades all based on the Viscaria with different handles.....

I know of one custom blade maker (SDC) because it's not something I've explored much, and to be frank, after seeing his blades on this forum, he's the only person I'd buy from.

The market for this must be tiny! So even if you credited XYZ, it would have no meaning to *most* people and that's assuming the blade maker even knew about them.

The only time I personally think it would be appropriate to credit someone is if you copied their entire design.

But that's just me :)

This user has no status.
I make it one of my life's leading values to be fair to others, so don't question my integrity please. How could I credit anyone if I didn't even post the blade? The only reason we are talking about it is because you brought it up, you might have seen it somewhere, but not from me.

As for this most recent one, I think it's different enough that I don't need to credit anyone. I would do it without a problem if I had "taken" the composition like you say, but it wasn't even my thought process when I created the blade. It was a 3+2 blade where I added a third carbon layer because I didn't feel it would have been stable enough, not a BBC blade where I removed the Koto layers, so it didn't even cross my mind. I don't look to the side to see what others are doing, I look ahead. I only know that blade from BBC because someone requested it, I don't know who Bernard is and I have no idea what other blademakers are doing because I have enough concerns with my own work.
I don’t think your most recent is a copy either. Like I said I recognize the core , then you posted the blade that I made and you copied from 2021 that’s how we got here. If you’re not lying then help me understand this message thread because to me it looks like I point out he had another blademaker copy the blade, and he confirms yes and then says you made it.
IMG_3550.jpeg

This user has no status.
I'm going to defend @hipnotic here (I have no bias either way).

I understand what you are saying about giving credit, and I would agree with you in most situations.

But custom table tennis blades? That's a hard one because the reality is..... There is only so much you can do?

Just look at Butterfly and their 4506 different blades all based on the Viscaria with different handles.....

I know of one custom blade maker (SDC) because it's not something I've explored much, and to be frank, after seeing his blades on this forum, he's the only person I'd buy from.

The market for this must be tiny! So even if you credited XYZ, it would have no meaning to *most* people and that's assuming the blade maker even knew about them.

The only time I personally think it would be appropriate to credit someone is if you copied their entire design.

But that's just me :)
*facepalm* I’m not sure I really wanna respond to this you sound pretty biased for a non biased opinion. But what the hell why not. Maybe you should look up other blademakers to see what else is out there?... Sure if you order your woods online premade there’s only so much you can do, so many variations. But that’s what hipnotic does and there’s still tons you can do especially if you add in composites, glue, weight of composites, weight of wood! There’s so much. Most of my blades have plies that are custom thickness. This one in particular that Sergio and I disagree on happened to use materials that are readily available.

And you kinda proved my point yeah most people on this forum are SDC guys and that’s all you know. Which is why it wouldn’t be such a bad thing for him to give credit I think people should know who this blade was created by which was Charlie. And if you don’t know Charlie you should he’s a blademaker who has been making blades for over 50 years. He invented the first carbon core blade called the carbo-flex that used this size balsa in 1969.

This user has no status.
@CCBladecraft, you are a blade-maker, you are a semi-god to all of us mere TT players. Please behave like one. I can't lose this illusion too!
Haha! I’m sorry! Am I wrong?? I just feel that if you knowingly copy someone’s blade there should be a little credit given. If I’m wrong I’ll move on. I’m not looking to have any beef I think hipnotic does great work and I like that, not in a bad way, he can copy the viscaria or timo boll alc or whatever else is out there from the big guys. But it’s hits a little different when I see a blade that Charlie and I make. Which again is fine but why not just say that’s where you got it from? He says so when he copies other blades doesn’t he?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Haha! I’m sorry! Am I wrong?? I just feel that if you knowingly copy someone’s blade there should be a little credit given. If I’m wrong I’ll move on. I’m not looking to have any beef I think hipnotic does great work and I like that, not in a bad way, he can copy the viscaria or timo boll alc or whatever else is out there from the big guys. But it’s hits a little different when I see a blade that Charlie and I make. Which again is fine but why not just say that’s where you got it from? He says so when he copies other blades doesn’t he?

It's a bit like operating on a different wave-length. From your side, being proud of what you do and being aware of who comes with what idea, and remembering it/history, it is all good and worth, and nothing wrong in that. Even expecting that someone else recognizes that, is not really wrong, it is perhaps, if I may, a bit sub-standard for a semi-god (;-), but not really wrong. From SDC's side, his focus is elsewhere (as he actually pointed out), and I'm confident he is giving or willing to give you and others all the credits and more. But his focus is not that, you see. These things are in the background for him. The terms like "copying" or not, they are not priority, their importance fades. I can't describe it well. I was a bit said when this slight controversy happened. And I still see you both as semi-gods.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
*facepalm* I’m not sure I really wanna respond to this you sound pretty biased for a non biased opinion. But what the hell why not. Maybe you should look up other blademakers to see what else is out there?... Sure if you order your woods online premade there’s only so much you can do, so many variations. But that’s what hipnotic does and there’s still tons you can do especially if you add in composites, glue, weight of composites, weight of wood! There’s so much. Most of my blades have plies that are custom thickness. This one in particular that Sergio and I disagree on happened to use materials that are readily available.

And you kinda proved my point yeah most people on this forum are SDC guys and that’s all you know. Which is why it wouldn’t be such a bad thing for him to give credit I think people should know who this blade was created by which was Charlie. And if you don’t know Charlie you should he’s a blademaker who has been making blades for over 50 years. He invented the first carbon core blade called the carbo-flex that used this size balsa in 1969.
I really didn't want to go down this path but you are forcing my hand so I have to defend myself.

Let's recap, I posted a blade, you said it reminded you of something because it had 3 carbon layers, I showed some blades I made in the past with 3 carbon layers. I had no idea where this was going, but you clearly did, like something trapped in the backed of your mind. You already knew about the "copied" blade, but I never posted it. So I will ask again, how can I credit someone if I never posted the blade?

You clearly don't have any idea about what I do, so I'll enlighten you. The majority of my work is to make custom blades, I do some blades now and then out of my own initiative that I put for sale on the website, but those are a minority. If a customer comes to me asking for a certain composition, and if it's within my reach to do it, I will do it. And I go the extra miles for my customers, so even if I can't do it I will try to find a way. I really hate these pi**ing contests, I did this, you did that, but it's offensive when someone says I'm just gluing layers. If you bother to look through this thread you will find hundreds of unique compositions and designs, not one. I share more knowledge than anyone else about blade building, I was the first to have a scientific and technical approach to blade building, not just gluing layers, I work with more fibers than anyone else, and possibly wood too. Every aspect of my blades is customizable: weight, thickness, size, balance, handle shape and size, handle design, fancy bling bling, you name it. This includes layer thickness too. I buy my woods premade and woods that are ready available? You are clueless... I worked very hard to have the stock of woods I have, and I buy them from all different places so I can fulfill the aforementioned requests from my customers. I'm just not lucky to have the tools and space you have (just imagine if I did), I can't re-saw my own wood and I don't have enough space to store all the materials I would like. I worked for two years on a tiny garage without even enough space for a proper bandsaw, and I still managed to do what I did. I buy my Ayous cores with 4mm, and I bring them down to whatever thickness needed, so as any other wood, just not with as much ease as you. So, if anything, I'm having more effort than you.

I don't have models of blades, and I don't publicize my blades, I post here and on social media, that's it, and I'm posting less and less. I'm basically posting the blades I put for sale on the website and my approach is very simple: I made this blade, it plays like this, if you think it suits you then buy it. No BS or shiny words, straight to the point and objective. I stopped posting the custom stuff long ago, and believe me, I have very cool stuff to show. I have my fair share of flops and mistakes, but the majority of people love what I do, and that's what gives me the strength to keep going. I've been having amazing feedback and I don't share it either, you know why? Because I have to control the demand, I'm already working at full capacity for long and every time I post this kind of stuff there is a rush of orders. Despite not being very active here I have a 7 months waiting list, and it just keeps growing. People try each others blades and love it, so they come to me. It's growing organically, it's not me telling them my blades are good, it's them telling me they are good, and it's an amazing feeling.

And you know what? I deserve every bit of my "success" because I work my a** off. Between buying materials, processing materials, answering emails, actually building the blades, taking pics, packing and sending, dealing with accounting... I'm working 10-12h a day, 6-7 days a week. I haven't taken more than 3 days vacation since this started (and this happens 1 time a year, 2 at best), I stopped training and playing because I don't have the time. So don't tell me I have it easy and that I'm just gluing layers.

Last edited: