SDC Handmade Blades

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Last edited:
Reactions: hipnotic and Giangt
I think this only shows the limitation of all wood blades wherein you have to make the blade very thick in order to have carbon level off+ speeds. This is why carbon is used or any other composite materials for better speed yet not making the blade too thick and heavy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
This blade has an ALC layer, but you are right, to make an equivalent of this using only wood it would have to be much thicker and heavier.

I think this only shows the limitation of all wood blades wherein you have to make the blade very thick in order to have carbon level off+ speeds. This is why carbon is used or any other composite materials for better speed yet not making the blade too thick and heavy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
One of my favorite builds so far!

Composition: Black Limba / Ako / Carbon / Ayous / Carbon / Ako / Black Limba
Weight: 91g
Thickness: 5.5mm
Headsize: 159x150mm

2_2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Reactions: hipnotic
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
The veneers come in large rolls and I cut them to size. I end up with sheets more figured than others. I found that the more figured sheets, with more white parts, are ~2g heavier than the all black ones.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
This was a very special request. The composition is similar to the M. Maze but with a thinner core and larger head size. But the handle was the biggest I've ever made, in fact it was the biggest handle I've ever seen on a TT blade!

Composition: Black Limba / Aramid-Carbon / Limba / Kiri / Limba / Aramid-Carbon / Black Limba
Thickness: 5.55 mm
Weight: 87.3g
Head size: 158x152mm
Handle: 112x31x27mm
Freq.: 1290 Hz

59_1.jpg

59_3.jpg

59_4.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
So I’m the one ordering this blade. I have always struggled with commercial handles being too short, thin (yeah, large hands) and narrow and decided after multiple recomendations to order from Sérgio.

Due to the Covid-19 situation I haven’t been able to play as much as I would have liked but managed to get a good 2hr session yesterday. I’ve been playing with various Viscaria-type Butterfly blades previously and wanted a bit less speed and more dwell which the blade seems to deliver perfectly. The quality is excellent and the level of craftmanship is indeed impressive.

The main talking point here is oviously the handle which is made as requested. I did find it hard to decide on measurements simply because there really isn’t much to compare with here. All in all I’m very pleased with the handles size and shape. A mm or two could possibly have been shaven of with redards to thickness but length and width is spot on for me.

For me the blade feels awesome. I obviously need more time to fully asses it but so far I am very pleased with ordering from Sérgio!

This was a very special request. The composition is similar to the M. Maze but with a thinner core and larger head size. But the handle was the biggest I've ever made, in fact it was the biggest handle I've ever seen on a TT blade!

Composition: Black Limba / Aramid-Carbon / Limba / Kiri / Limba / Aramid-Carbon / Black Limba
Thickness: 5.55 mm
Weight: 87.3g
Head size: 158x152mm
Handle: 112x31x27mm
Freq.: 1290 Hz

View attachment 21096

View attachment 21097

View attachment 21098

Reactions: hipnotic
says I buy too much equipment
says I buy too much equipment
Jul 2019
One of my favorite builds so far!

Composition: Black Limba / Ako / Carbon / Ayous / Carbon / Ako / Black Limba
Weight: 91g
Thickness: 5.5mm
Headsize: 159x150mm

cache.php

Since I probably won't be playing at my club for quite some time I might as well post my initial thoughts of the amazing blade Hipnotic made. First of all big thanks to Hipnotic, the entire process of ordering the blade was very pleasant and I would definitely recommend anyone on the forum looking for a custom blade to hit up Hipnotic. The quality, craftsmanship and looks of the blade he made me are absolutely stunning.

I have been using Xiom Vega X on the FH and Gewo Nanoflex FT40 on the BH. Unfortunately due to the ongoing pandemic I haven't been able to try the blade at my club yet. I have been using it on my outdoor table with my robot quite a bit in the last two weeks, also played my father a few times but only for a very short hit each time. Now the testing environment is not great due to the wind and not so great table but I have gotten quite an idea of how the blade plays especially comparing it to some of my other blades.

Lets start with the handle, the wenge/purpleheart combo looks gorgeous and it is the most comfortable one I've ever used. I had asked for it to be lowered 2mm which gives the blade it's bigger head while having a slightly smaller neck. I absolutely love that the chamfer near the rubber is so large, much larger than on any commercial blade and much more comfortable for my thumb but also my index finger on the backhand benefits from it. It just feels so much more natural than a handle with a shorter chamfer, Not sure why no other manufacturer does this. There's also a second custom lens as shown in the picture, I still wanted the blade makers logo visible on my blade so I asked for both.
Now the speed, the frequency measures in at 1250 Hz. The blade feels only slightly faster than my Violin and about the same speed as my Violin carbon-inner. It has plenty of power away from the table though, on top of the carbon this has probably also to do with the slightly heavier weight compared to the rest of my blades (full setup is between 7-10g heavier than most of my other ones).
Control is very high, the blade has quite a bit of dwell time for a carbon blade and for me it's great in the short game. Both blocking and driving are incredibly stable, the sweetspot on this blade is absolutely massive. It obviously doesn't quite give the same feedback of an all wood blade but it's still very nice because it's pretty thin as well. It feels nice and soft on slower balls but when you start to put some power in the blade really starts to kick while still feeling very safe to hit harder with.
Spin is also very good on this blade, it seems pretty flexible because the spin I'm getting is quite high. This in combination with the dwell makes for a very pleasant experience when playing topspins.
The only thing that's a little strange for me is the arc of the ball when looping but only sometimes and it only really happens on the FH. It's quite unlike any setup I have played with, in general the quality of my shots is pretty good (for my standard at least) but sometimes it's completely random even if I think I hit the ball well. My shots always have a the spin I want to put in but occasionally the arc is either very high short or very low and it goes over the table. Can be very unpredictable at times. This is probably due to me not being completely used to the blade yet but I feel the Vega X is not the best combination with this blade so I might give another rubber a shot and see if that helps. It could also be because the sweetspot feels so large that when my shot is unpredictable I just didn't hit it in the right spot without me noticing. Not being able to play in a club setting has me only guessing though since the wind and table can affect the ball in some funny ways at times.

So once again thank you very much Hipnotic, really can't wait to test out the blade at my club but I'm afraid that might be a while. Glad to see more people like the look of my blade too.