Setup Questions

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
A few thoughts:
The sheet was assembled with the data of a japanese youtube channel that would measure these things. Since this includes very old rubber tests it might be possible that the easurement method evolved and tenergy05 results are skewed a little.

The grip column does not say anything about the sponge, but only about the topsheet and how sticky it is. They measure how much weight the can drag with the topsheet only before the object slips.

The hardness measurement always includes sponge and topsheet, that's why some harder sponge rubbers might measure softer due to a thicker and softer topsheet for the overall hardness measurement.

I think the channel is called anatomic edge on YouTube, but unfortunately itis injapanese only.

A few thoughts:
The sheet was assembled with the data of a japanese youtube channel that would measure these things. Since this includes very old rubber tests it might be possible that the easurement method evolved and tenergy05 results are skewed a little.

The grip column does not say anything about the sponge, but only about the topsheet and how sticky it is. They measure how much weight the can drag with the topsheet only before the object slips.

The hardness measurement always includes sponge and topsheet, that's why some harder sponge rubbers might measure softer due to a thicker and softer topsheet for the overall hardness measurement.

I think the channel is called anatomic edge on YouTube, but unfortunately itis injapanese only.
I don’t see it says anything about the stickiness. It’s the friction that is measured. If it is measured with the pull of a weight then the hardness of a sponge can make a difference.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
I don’t see it says anything about the stickiness. It’s the friction that is measured.
let's not argue about the usage of my words. It was only when i was asked to explain the grip column further, when i used the word "sticky" and i think it describes what most non-native english speakers would understand if you showed them the test. It tests how much the weight sticks on the rubber without slipping. We can exchange that for "tacky" or "tackiness" but most people that don't want to start fights over words on the internet will understand what it means

If it is measured with the pull of a weight then the hardness of a sponge can make a difference.
Theoretically the hardness of the sponge can influence how much the topgrip is dent in and hence make the physical properties of the topsheet have additionial friction. The ranges of weight used seem to indicate that the sponge will be "activated" or rather squeezed already, be it 1 kg of downwards force or 1.5kg i would assume both are way beyond what you would see in the game. Just image the difference between 1kg and the weight of the table tennis ball (2,4 gramms) and how fast you would need to accellerate the ball into the rubber for it to excerpt similar force.

Last edited:
let's not argue about the usage of my words. It was only when i was asked to explain the grip column further, when i used the word "sticky" and i think it describes what most non-native english speakers would understand if you showed them the test. It tests how much the weight sticks on the rubber without slipping. We can exchange that for "tacky" or "tackiness" but most people that don't want to start fights over words on the internet will understand what it means

Theoretically the hardness of the sponge can influence how much the topgrip is dent in and hence make the physical properties of the topsheet have additionial tackiness. The ranges of weight used seem to indicate that the sponge will be "activated" or rather squeezed already, be it 1 kg of downwards force or 1.5kg i would assume both are way beyond what you would see in the game. Just image the difference between 1kg and the weight of the table tennis ball (2,4 gramms) and how fast you would need to accellerate the ball into the rubber for it to excerpt similar force.
I don’t like the word tackiness for this purpose. Both friction and grip says more…

Cheers
L-zr