Why are J-pen rackets so expensive?

Wuh

This user has no status.
Why are j-pen rackets so expensive in comparison to c-pen rackets? I’ve been trying to find a new j-pen racket but my budget is low and I can’t find anything within my budget at the moment. But I can find so many c-pen rackets within my price range and it just confuses me. Considering attempting to make my own racket right now.

Wuh

This user has no status.
Cost of material
a lot of Jpen uses very expensive wood, like cypress or hinoki
and not many brands make Jpen, the ones that do, focus on quality, not quantity (since its such a small and niche market)

Look at Yinhe Jpen, there have few cost effective options
What would you say is the cheapest fully built J-pen racket I could get on the market at the moment?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Cost of material
a lot of Jpen uses very expensive wood, like cypress or hinoki
and not many brands make Jpen, the ones that do, focus on quality, not quantity (since its such a small and niche market)

Look at Yinhe Jpen, there have few cost effective options
I think those blades (Jpen) also use a lot of hinoki or cypress. And they might be made in Japan where the labor costs are higher. Finally, maybe lack of demand has something to do with it? Meaning, the manufacturers might need to charge a higher price per blade to make their money back but then that decreases demand any further.

I have seen many shakehand blades that have a layer of hinoki, etc. and are still very afforable. But maybe those blades are made in China or Slovenia (I think Tibhar makes some cheaper blades in Slovenia), where labor costs are cheaper and the blades even with hinoki wood in them are very affordable.

Reactions: Wuh
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022
I think forum member Sergio of SDC will make j pen if you request it. You can get any composition, so you are not limited to a 1 ply blade.

His prices are very reasonable and he does excellent work. (I have one of his blades, although not a j pen)

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
J-Pen are beloved because of using Kiso-Hinoki one ply as the construction material. The premium lies in the cost of material. Have you ever see J-Pen that is using ply wood or carbon fiber e.g. ALC or ZLC? My point exactly. J-Pen are for the purist. J-Pen are not for winning nice shinny plastic medals ( a bonus if we do win ). J-Pen player play simply to enjoy the sublime feeling. Just like a Kyudo archer. Their goals is not winning competitions but attaining the perfect jinba-ittai ( unity of archer with the bow ).

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
Show & Tell pls. I personally have not seen one. I need to broaden my horizon.
Off the top of my head, Butterfly has released a fair number of composite jpen, the most recent ones being Garaydia Revolver series, they also released Ryu Seung Min ZLC which is a variation of the Haruvatart (also ZLC) and the RSM T5000, and have made blades like Selebes arylate, Capricorn and Tectonic T5000 in the past. Juic and TSP/Victas have a few composite jpen, like Juic Light Carbo and TSP Hino-Carbon Power, and Kokutaku has made a jpen version of the Laser carbon blade. That being said it is much more common to see single ply hinoki jpens because they are more popular, the feeling of a thick single ply hinoki is unreplaceable

Reactions: Wuh and Gozo Aruna
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think those blades (Jpen) also use a lot of hinoki or cypress. And they might be made in Japan where the labor costs are higher. Finally, maybe lack of demand has something to do with it? Meaning, the manufacturers might need to charge a higher price per blade to make their money back but then that decreases demand any further.

I have seen many shakehand blades that have a layer of hinoki, etc. and are still very afforable. But maybe those blades are made in China or Slovenia (I think Tibhar makes some cheaper blades in Slovenia), where labor costs are cheaper and the blades even with hinoki wood in them are very affordable.

It all depend which country the raw material is from.
Some are cheaper, while some other are more expensive.

Jpen have not been main selling skus for any brands for few decades now, so no one is expecting to make money off it. That is why so many brands don't even sell Jpen.

buying CPen blades today is already very difficult
Jpen is even more difficult. If you not in the far east, good luck

Reactions: JJ Ng and Wuh
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
There are tons of carbon based Jpen blades out there.
and for decades too already
I had a JPen carbon blade back in 1994. I don't see them around as much anymore. I also don't know where that blade went. Back in 1994, adding carbon to the blade (shakehand or penhold) was new and novel.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
I had a JPen carbon blade back in 1994. I don't see them around as much anymore. I also don't know where that blade went. Back in 1994, adding carbon to the blade (shakehand or penhold) was new and novel.
Let me assist to recall your memory.

You hated that blade so much, you threw it inside a woodchipper and never ever saw it again.

#Hinoki4Life

Reactions: Wuh and JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
giving away your age 🙈

carbon was added to blades from the late 1980s, before that, it was all wood

Reactions: Wuh and JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
J-Pen are beloved because of using Kiso-Hinoki one ply as the construction material. The premium lies in the cost of material.
J-Pen are for the purist. J-Pen are not for winning nice shinny plastic medals ( a bonus if we do win ). J-Pen player play simply to enjoy the sublime feeling. Just like a Kyudo archer. Their goals is not winning competitions but attaining the perfect jinba-ittai ( unity of archer with the bow ).
Love your comments about Jpen Hinoki blades especially your analogy with Kyudo.
A quality single ply Hinoki blade, like those from Darker, is a precision instrument that indeed contributes to the sublime feeling that’s experienced when we’re playing table tennis.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Love your comments about Jpen Hinoki blades especially your analogy with Kyudo.
A quality single ply Hinoki blade, like those from Darker, is a precision instrument that indeed contributes to the sublime feeling that’s experienced when we’re playing table tennis.
I never knew about how wonderful it is to play with a one-ply-hinoki blade until
I play again with my old five ply all wood blade. After the comparison I made up my mind; never shall I go back to multiple layer all-wood blade again.

It is the same with a seven ply all wood blade. It is stiff and does not have the catapult feel of a one-ply-hinoki.

Reactions: Wuh and jbvttcc