Should I upgrade my blade or change rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Isn't ML5 like one of the fastest blades out there? If you don't mind giving up some tackiness try changing rubber first. Hurricane 3 is really slow because of the tack. Keep in mind if you lose tack you will lose some spin so your shots might sail long. Which means your stroke needs to change.

HL5 is by far not the fastest blade see e.g. https://ttgearlab.com/2019/02/18/dhs-hurricane-long-5-3-overview-lab-test/ or https://ttgearlab.com/2023/06/05/butterfly-fan-zhendong-series-lab-test/
H3 is also not slow. Even not the older, tackier ones when brush looping.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I read L5/H3/MX-P too slow... started to cough violently, then laughed, could not breath, and the orange juice i drank came running out my nose with snot stinging me all the way.

There must be some serious issues going on with impact, on can pound the world into submission with that setup if stroke, grip and impact are there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I read L5/H3/MX-P too slow... started to cough violently, then laughed, could not breath, and the orange juice i drank came running out my nose with snot stinging me all the way.

There must be some serious issues going on with impact, on can pound the world into submission with that setup if stroke, grip and impact are there.
Nah, someone made him confess that he doesn't boost, he wants the H3 to magically become faster without boosting. He needs to move to Neverland.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

Absolutely correct.
Just because somebody has got a box of matches he/she is still far away of knowing how to light a fire 😂

• Haha
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
HL5 is by far not the fastest blade see e.g. https://ttgearlab.com/2019/02/18/dhs-hurricane-long-5-3-overview-lab-test/ or https://ttgearlab.com/2023/06/05/butterfly-fan-zhendong-series-lab-test/
H3 is also not slow. Even not the older, tackier ones when brush looping.
I never said it was the fastest blade. It is very much in the higher ranges vs all other blades.

H3 is definitely too slow for me. Which is why I choose K3 for my FH. I don't have good enough footwork or stamina to use H3.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
this is my personal opinion and is not to be taken seriously:
If you can not create enough speed to beat the opposition
with your current setup - any other setup will also not do it.

Post a video of how you play in a game. Perhaps it's not the equipment that needs to change.

Honestly, I am not sure more than these two posts were needed. It is good that it was brought out that the H3 is unboosted.

If you changed to a rubber that does not need to be boosted by you, it might be fine. But we really can't tell anything about what you really would benefit from without seeing you play. So posting footage would be valuable for you.

But, it is also interesting, some people say H3 is slow. Some say it is fast. This is because of different kinds of impacts. Even unboosted, with a certain kind of contact/impact, H3 can be very fast.

But if you are not going to post footage, you may as well flip your racket, test MXP and see if it works for your FH and if it does, just get a sheet of it for FH.

Whatever else it is, the issue is certainly not a result of the speed of the equipment.

Reactions: JJ Ng and mocker88
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
But, it is also interesting, some people say H3 is slow. Some say it is fast. This is because of different kinds of impacts. Even unboosted, with a certain kind of contact/impact, H3 can be very fast.
this so true and in the same time virtually impossible to get through to many players.
Of course there ARE limits to all tools but with the correct technique it is still possible to get a lot out of them.
And it does not need super strength to do it. Especially tacky hard rubbers respond very well indeed to subtle brushing - but it has to be learned.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
this so true and in the same time virtually impossible to get through to many players.
Of course there ARE limits to all tools but with the correct technique it is still possible to get a lot out of them.
And it does not need super strength to do it. Especially tacky hard rubbers respond very well indeed to subtle brushing - but it has to be learned.

Table tennis is a very interesting sport. The racket is fairly light (blade and rubbers combined)....even a "heavy" setup is pretty light relative to any other racket sport. The ball is very light. You don't actually need much force to make the ball go fast and/or to make the ball spin. You just need the right timing and a certain kind of contact. The kind of contact would depend on the kind of shot and the kind of rubbers you are using.

The women in the sport seem to get the ball going pretty darn fast with those small strokes and how they time the ball off the bounce. It takes technique but the amount of force added is not the only issue in making the ball fizz with spin and speed.

I start to think my equipment is a little slow for me. (Currently Ma Long 5, FH Hurricane 3 Neo, BH MX-P.) I want something a little faster to put more pressure on my opponents. Should I change the blade or should I change the rubber? I'm thinking of these options:
  • Option 1: Ma Long 5, FH MX-P, BH MX-P.
  • Option 2: Viscaria Super ALC, FH Hurricane 3 Neo, BH MX-P.
Will these option help me accomplish my goal? Which one will work better? Pro/Cons?

Thank you!
As the years go by, we get fatter and slower. And our rackets are lighter and faster...

Reactions: impluse101
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I heard it takes 3 days of waiting! :) Isn't H3 Neo pre-boosted by the manufacturer?
I don't know why people say 3 days. I have never waited 3 days to boost a rubber. I boost, wait about 6 hours, and it is usually about ready to go. Or I just boost overnight and play the very next day.

H3 Neo has no pre-boosted effect, or maybe it is so minimal that nobody can sense it. It does not even feel 5% boosted.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I don't know why people say 3 days. I have never waited 3 days to boost a rubber. I boost, wait about 6 hours, and it is usually about ready to go. Or I just boost overnight and play the very next day.

H3 Neo has no pre-boosted effect, or maybe it is so minimal that nobody can sense it. It does not even feel 5% boosted.
I agree. H3 regular or H3 neo, all feel the same. I am mixing and matching old H3 regular or H3 neo. I cannot tell at this moment anymore. Even the sponge looks the same. When I peel the rubber off, the printing on the sponge is different. That's how I can tell if I have been playing with H3 regular or H3 neo on that blade. But whatever. I cannot tell. Both H3 regular and H3 neo, I apply three layers of boosters.

I thnk I am just used to boost it once and leave it for 24 hours for booster to take effects. Usually after one layer, the rubber is lightly change. After three layers, inevitably all sponges curl up.

I have even heard of people saying that, don't apply the rubber until the sponges go back to their original form (I assuem flat?). If that's the case, I will be waiting forever!

Many rubbers, once you boost it, never ever go back to being flat. So I am not sure what people are talking about waiting for the boosted rubber to get back to its "original" form before gluing to the blade.

I usually glue the rubber to the blade after 24 hours passes following the last layer being applied. The sponge, at that moment, is curled up so I have to apply some extra glue to make sure the sponge will stick to the blade. Then I used a racket press to make sure adhesion takes place.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
When I peel the rubber off, the printing on the sponge is different. That's how I can tell if I have been playing with H3 regular or H3 neo on that blade.
This still does not help me because just from the writing i can not tell if it is a Neo or a standard H3
Do you know the code that gives the secret away ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
This still does not help me because just from the writing i can not tell if it is a Neo or a standard H3
Do you know the code that gives the secret away ?
I am not looking at the code. On H3 Neo sponge, the printing is more prominent and the letters and numbers are larger. On the regular H3 sponge, the printing is more "faint" and the letters and numbers are smaller. When you put them side by side, you can tell. Please see the photos below:

The first photo on the right side, that's H3 Neo sponge. You see the printing. It is 2.20 sponge. I bought it, 39 degree, from TT11. The second photo, on the left side, with the red sponge, that's Stiga Genesis (first generation). That type of printing, more "faint" and smaller, goes on regular H3 sponge. So that's what I meant. I don't have any peeled off H3 regular currently so I cannot put them side-by-side. But I have seen it and that's why I am 100% certain that DHS makes Stiga Genesis (at least first generation) for Stiga.

2023-7-18 G-1 and H3 neo.jpeg
2023-7-18 Stiga Genesis and Yinhe Big Dipper.jpeg