Should strokes always be paired when training them?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Sep 2025
216
193
772
In my local club we basically only play matches during practice. I usually pick one stroke I want to improve each session, and try to hit it much, even if ball is not optimal. Will this make me a worse player? I get better at the stroke hopefully, but I don’t learn when to use it!

So should they always be paired? Bh short serve with a long fast one if they stand to close, push with flick if ball is a bit high, chopping with smash or counter if ball bounce high?
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Feb 2024
198
249
620
If you are in Sweden you should be able to find a proper club.

First of all, if you play with purpose you will progress. So that’s good!

About pairing shots, it’s a very basic tactic that’s used all over. If I were you I’d just ask my club mates to do some basic schemes before every match.
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Moderator
Oct 2014
20,849
27,591
73,606
Read 17 reviews
In my local club we basically only play matches during practice. I usually pick one stroke I want to improve each session, and try to hit it much, even if ball is not optimal. Will this make me a worse player? I get better at the stroke hopefully, but I don’t learn when to use it!

So should they always be paired? Bh short serve with a long fast one if they stand to close, push with flick if ball is a bit high, chopping with smash or counter if ball bounce high?
Your question is important but you are not phrasing it the way most coaches would phrase it.

It is important to find a balance between working on a technique and using it in the situations where it occurs. In some psychology of training, it is called "block" vs "random" practice and there are a few other things that capture the same idea.

Your question also seems to have some tactical element involved. But as was pointed out, find a good club to train at or work with a mentor/coach. That is usually the best unless something makes it impossible.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Souther
Top