Skyline or H3

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
Hi all,
I am curious about these two rubbers. Many people say Skyline is used mostly by penholders while H3 is for shakehand players. I also notice the topsheet of Skyline is a bit thinner and the pip structure is different from H3, shorter and the gap is wider between pips. Wonder how this affects the style of playing between shakehand and penhold.
Aside from the fact that Xuxin and Malin used Skyline, is there a reason for this?

Thx

Why are you asking? If the question is to decide for yourself, then try it yourself - commercial versions are not expensive.
If you're just curious about other's subjective opinions - here goes: Never tried tg3, so speaking about tg2 only.

TG2 is definitely superior in short game, I feel like it's a little less sensitive to spin, but the sponge feels harder and it is definitely harder to do several top spins in a row (comparing to h3) technique wise. First spinny shot with tg2 is deadlier, the arc is lower on power loops.

Played shakehand and penhold and really it's a matter of preference. Personally, I think h3 is more versatile with plastic balls we have now, short game is not a problem anymore.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Have used H2, H3, TG2 and TG3. There is a very thorough article written in Chinese about these four rubbers. The topsheet differs from each other:
Topsheet Hardness: H2>TG2>H3>TG3
Clarity/feel at the same sponge hardness: TG3>H3>TG2>H2
Speed in low impact: TG3>H3>TG2>H2
Spin with thin brushing:TG2=H2>H3=TG3
Max power : H2>TG2>H3>TG3
Short game/service: TG2=H2>TG3>H3

H3 suffers in short game because the new H3 is close to non tacky. Formula for the TG rubber remains the same.

Hope this helps

Reactions: Marc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
Why are you asking? If the question is to decide for yourself, then try it yourself - commercial versions are not expensive.
If you're just curious about other's subjective opinions - here goes: Never tried tg3, so speaking about tg2 only.

TG2 is definitely superior in short game, I feel like it's a little less sensitive to spin, but the sponge feels harder and it is definitely harder to do several top spins in a row (comparing to h3) technique wise. First spinny shot with tg2 is deadlier, the arc is lower on power loops.

Played shakehand and penhold and really it's a matter of preference. Personally, I think h3 is more versatile with plastic balls we have now, short game is not a problem anymore.
maybe i wasn't clear on my question.
so, why does penholder prefer Skyline? Why is it more effective for the penhold grip? I am a shakehand player so I don't really know the penhold technique

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
so, why does penholder prefer Skyline? Why is it more effective for the penhold grip? I am a shakehand player so I don't really know the penhold technique
TG2 and TG3 were allegedly designed with penholders in mind. It rewards a bigger swing with more acceleration. It's also more tacky. Try them both, you may end up liking one more that you wouldn't expect.

The topsheet of the skyline is harder and the sponge is pretty similar if not the same. I think the only reason the tg2 feels harder is the topsheet, it's like it has tension, but no, or maybe veeerry little catapult.

Again, it's personal, you need to to try these rubbers to understand their differences and how they play.

Btw, another nice rubber is the yinhe jupiter 3 and battle 2. If dhs doesn't do it for you, you could try these two.

My guess would be that a penhold player tend to kill the ball quicker because it is harder to play defensive. Then they would want a faster tool for this.

Cheers
L-zr