Solo Drills

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
I'll try to describe my experience in solo drills..
The simplest thing is using a bucket or a cup or something like that placing it somewhere on the opposite side of the table and trying to make a topspin in it (my coach forced me to do for some time :) ).
Second is training around the net shots(this is what I invented :D for myself when there's no one to play with). So your first position is like you're receiving when playing doubles - somewhere on the forehand side of the table. Then with your free hand you throw from left to right so the ball bounces off the right side of the table. While it's still falling (not when rising) in the air(the later the better) you try to top/side spin it to the right corner of the opposite side of the table. So basically your trying to make it around the net. I like this exercise because it needs footwork and some "feel" (at first tries I recommend making a slow loop). I hope my description is understandable :)

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Maybe carl can do a spiel on what I recommend on how to practice developing impact timing and touch fro serves off the table.

Stand anywhere there is room, in house, club or subway platform while awaiting train... use a short stroke to quickly accelerate the bat to impact ball at BOTTOM and make ball go out a meter or two, and have ball spin back to you. Rinse and repeat.

Great to develop the touch needed for the impact to make a short serve, even if the serve is not yet battle-ready, at least you got the required timing and touch for the impact. That is the most important part before you figure out how to land the first bounce where you need it to make a short and tight underspin short serve.

Next level would agree with this methinks.

It isn't a Der_Echte original idea (pun intended - that name means original or genuine) I got it form Bogeyhunter or someone on the TT forums in 2007.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Right now the only solo drills I do are the Marcos Freitas ball bouncing against the side of the table (almost got 4 minutes but not quite. Darn.) and spinning serves into a laundry basket. I also think ball drops are extremely useful, although I'm pretty lazy about doing them.

I've done Der_Echte's drill for a long time, but now I'm trying to keep the motion much shorter. It's amazing how much power you get into a backspin serve with basically no backswing at all. But you have to wait so long to start your backswing - it almost feels like the ball is in your racket when you start it.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I remember Ringer-Schemer describing his serve impact when he was learning from Bogeyhunter... (Hey, that dude taught us a lot about serves !) Schemer said teh sound of rubber impacting ball was REAL LOUD, kinda surprisingly loud for an underspin serves... that tells me years ago he "GOT IT" in how to make a good impact of getting topsheet to wrap the ball and fling it out like who flung the chuck.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
There is another solo drill I showed a player at Chantilly Chinese club today. It was an idea I showed him on how you can impact ball on a short serve really low and kinda close to the net and still Backhand flip it safely with room to spare.

What I did was drop the ball a foot over net height halfway to net or more and step back to a normal position 1/2 step from table. I waited until the ball was bouncing maybe no higher than less than half the height of net... then I would step in and flip the ball BH... I impacted the ball maybe 2-4 cm above the table, I still got some spin on the ball and landed it safely, some near endline (the faster ones) and some a foot from endline.

So when by self with a box of balls, drop one halfway to net from net height, let bounce a couple times, then move in and BH flip focusing on impacting it on the rise off teh bounce with a soft wrist and side banana it over, or try to straight flip it. Go for a medium pace and as much spin as you can safely put on it.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
That exercise also practices the step in timing, balance, and if you try to - recovery. All those are very important to receive serves from a good server, which you will see at higher levels of amature play. Of course the term "Higher" levels can be a very loose term and relative, but applicable anyway.

it also exercises using your judgment of how much you can go for the shot in terms of power and keep it safe. This gets you to make on the fly decisions of how you want to impact and where you want to put it to go along with the tactical goal you have for that point.

That is also very important stuff at any level.

This drill also puts a premium on effective biomechanics. You might get away with poor form and land it if you are pretty much only bunting it, but this drill makes you realize when you got it wrong if you are properly trying for medium pace and partial to good spin.

This drill also gets you to have the courage to take the ball right off the bounce. The benefits of this apply to a lot of other shot situations and can help out your overall game, especially the short touch game on serve receive, but also having the courage to get close to the ball for countertopspins close to table.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Another unmentioned benefit is developing effective step under table footwork (hitting side leg). The first two things I saw my friend do wrong when trying to BH banana flip the ball was he didn't step under the table enough, and then he had his blade way too closed.

When stepping to the ball, you really got to get down, top of hip ought to be table level to get the right "height" of your center of balance to make good use of balance and leverage. Very often, we do a half-azz step under and the result is usually a position that is too high centered and not close enough to the ball to have enough balance and leverage to make the shot high percentage and high quality.

That is why Carl has often said about my BH that IF and I say again IF Der_Echte can footwork to the ball, it is over. The BH flip is gunna be destructive and fatal.

When I was explaining the shot to my friend, I was advising him to make a very safe BH banana flick getting REAL close to ball, like 2-4 cm and take it right off the bounce. Reason I advised my friend this (my TT friend is a great hitter and looper, but is developing other aspects of the game) is that taking it off the bounce is an easy way to control the incoming spin, especially if you are in position on time using a soft banana BH flip. That is why I asked him to start with that shot. It is easy to make a high percentage return if you get there in position to see the ball looking over it in a good position of leverage.

We all get starting with the "easier" stuff and moving up and I think we all accept there are many ways to go about TT things. Personally, I do not use a banana flip off the bounce very much, even though that is what I asked my friend to start learning.

A much higher level amature player (I think this guy was 2200+ level, at least he is in top Div one of the DC regional league, maybe he is higher, dunno) overheard what I was advising and said uhn-uh. (no in US English) I understand where this near-elite amature player is coming from. If I flipped the ball BH in the same manner I advised my friend and my placement wasn't a surprise, the point would be over on the counter attack for sure. So I understand this good player is right when he says this isn't a good way to learn flipping. The flip at his level must be sudden, fast, spinny or flat, be very well placed, and not telegraphed. I think that getting a 1700-1800 USATT level player to develop and achieve a consistent performance in doing such a shot is a very tall order and not very practical to get to a level of consistency and quality to use it in a match.

That opens up ages old arguments that not all coaches have ever agreed upon. Should one use PROGRESSION and VARIETY, and grow along the way to ever-increasing difficult quality shots, or should a player right away learn difficult things, even if he cannot get it good enough to use in a match to his benefit in even 6 months??!!!@@@&&@@ ??? I think we will never totally agree and that is good for the sport IMO. We should have differing approaches and definitions of success.

MY idea was to get him to develop this precious ability to get close to the ball with loose hand pressure, a skill that can positively affect many other areaas of his game, then work towards taking the ball later (when ball is higher) with more forward stroke or more explosive stroke with a firmer grip pressure to make a faster and spinnier (and hopefully) more troublesome ball to opponent.

To summarize, for this shot (the BH flip of a short underspin serve) I advocated a path of progression of...

Phase 1 - Learn how to get real close to ball and take it off bounce, using a controlled slow to medium speed stroke with a soft grip pressure to control incoming spin, and place ball well. Resultant ball will not have a lot of pace, but will have varying spin and a high percentage chance to land - at that player's level 1700-1800 USATT (EST), such a return of serve can be troublesome to opponent or entice him to attack off time and off balance.

Phase 2 - Let ball come to top of bounce, use explosive whip motion total banana stroke impact ball exactly in the rear with a totally side swipe banana stroke with some forward finish to make a decently spinny troublesome return to opponent

Phase 3 - Impact ball near top of bounce with either conventional straight flip BH very explosive to make very heavy spin to land deep near endline.

Phase 4 - Impact ball at top of bounce with banana stroke that has a finish at impact with more solid contact and firm grip pressure going mostly forward with side/forward variation... makes a fast spinny return.

Thoughts and how it all fits in?

Maybe I make another coaching thread bout this as it is a hot topic among players and coaches - whether there is THE way or several effective ways and HOW to get "there".

says what [IMG]
I only really BH flick if people offer me a kill. If it's easy and I can get to it, it's over.

Otherwise, I'm going to alternate between fade looping to the left from my POV, or half looping half flicking hard into their backhand corner. Of course, if the opponent has some weird weakness, I place the ball that way.

I think you'd really need to have top tier footwork to be able to effectively get into position to backhand flick a quality short serve to the wide forehand. A really good short serve with a lot of spin is also quite fast, it's a lot harder to get into position than it looks like on video.

says what [IMG]
Showed a 9 yr old girl at the club this BH flick drill and she made progress and enjoys the drill.
Did you teach the technique from scratch?

A lot of people have this idea that the BH flick is a super advanced shot that shouldn't be taught until someone is, I dunno, a world champion. :rolleyes:

I personally think it can be taught shortly after the BH loop.

This user has no status.
My coach used the BH flick as a way to teach us a proper BH drive/loop. His reasoning is that we already know how the arm has to move for a BH loop or drive but it's difficult to get the wrist moving correctly and on time. As soon as I got to where my flick against a medium underspin serve was a 50% success shot, my BH loop became a heell of a lot more consistent. Kinda goes back to Der_Echte's post about one way or the highway.

This user has no status.
It's really interesting this bottle method ! Thanks ;)

Gamba,

I Just recently discovered this exercise... The following are my learnings from it:

1. I have learned to contact the ball more thinly, thus increasing my ability to rotate the ball = spin. To be able to contact thinly being relaxed is key! This information it's all over, however until you feel it by yourself then it really gets engrained in your technique.

2. When I first started I had to swing 4 to 5 times before being able to lift the ball. I started getting lower, bending knees, keeping legs wide and apart, now I can lift the ball 80% first attempt. Key Learning: importance of balance! I'm focusing more now on transferring weight, to produce power, improve body mechanics.

3. As a result of the bottle exercise I improved my back hand dramatically, very associated with my new ability to contact thinly and being relaxed during the whole process... I'm starting to be able to attack away from the table... It's not perfect yet, but I can thank the bottle for that.

I hope this helps in your development!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Did you teach the technique from scratch?

A lot of people have this idea that the BH flick is a super advanced shot that shouldn't be taught until someone is, I dunno, a world champion. :rolleyes:

I personally think it can be taught shortly after the BH loop.

I just showed her what to do and how to do it. I give a quick demonstration of the early impact off the bounce side swipe banana style, and the let it rise go more forward style and let her go at it. After all it has got to be fun for their age or they go nowhere and lose interest. This girl was particularly motivated.

I wasn't trying to get her to flip like a pro. Heck, she is only 9 and cannot reach but 1/2 the table.

The important habits I wanted her to practice (and have fun) were the recognizing it is short, moving to the ball, stepping under table on balance, hit in rhythm off the bounce, have hte courage to get close to the ball with a soft hand. Having fun training those things is what was important. I served short and no so much underspin and challenged her to flip off the bounce and safe, but with good placement, wide past corners or at middle pocket. Every time she would get one right to the right place, I would say WINNER or POINT. She liked doing that drill. She went through a couple hundred balls and was still happy and trying.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Showed the drop ball, wait, and flip drill to a player after league tonite and he liked the drill a lot. Easy to do by self if there are barriers to stop balls from going everywhere and if you got a box of balls.

We even did a drill where server must serve short underspin, receiver must use a flip, then play out point.