Start learning this now! Thank me later :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2022
Hello guys,
In this video we are focusing on mental shortcuts that help pro players to be faster and more balanced for every stroke. Example of FZD in action included.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Sorry, I need to disagree on a point here.

Training footworks is the basis for high level table tennis play - that is no doubt correct.
But if you are taking some videos of pros in action and then taking about footwork rules, then that is not correct.

Any high level player will know, in real match situations, a lot of times, there is what we call "sudden movement" or "reflexes", which has the main purpose to get to the ball.
Many times, these motions are not text book. There are times the foot/body is not in the correct position, but a super player can still get the ball back and with quality too.
In Chinese, we call these the "feeling of the hand" (you can return a high quality return, despite being out of position)

your own video of FZD/ZJK has many of these where there was no proper text book footwork at all.

These high level movements cannot be taught, it is sudden reflexes with years of proper text book footwork.

So, for the purpose of educational video (of what you are doing) - and showing people that "these sudden reflexes" are "correct" footwork - is the part I don't agree.

From a coaching position, it is forbidden to anchor your foot.
In fact, when you are in high intense drills, your heal will hardly even touch the ground.

Reactions: lodro and KM1976
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2022
Tony, I see your point, and agree to some extend but...
Video shows most of the points in one set that FZD won. Let say 10 out of 12. Its not random clips.

Does it mean that FZD is playing >80% of balls with incorrect footwork and still is on top of the ranking? Well, I do not think so. He has perfect reasoning for what he is doing. He is moving in advance, he is not reacting, he follows the program :) It can be taught.
The last point of the set was the reaction you are probably talking about (jump for FH down the line), but otherwise I dont think so.

Anyways I am not telling that shuffling is wrong. This is basic footwork, but I am reffering to confussion that players have about weight transfering. That is why we want a player to plant the playing foot before stroke. It serves as support for stability of stroke and helps with learning spatial awareness of both strokes (FH and BH). Same reason with relative constant distance of knee and elbow.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
The video sounds promising but left me with zero idea of what to actually try to do any differently than before. So from that perspective is it useless to me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Tony, I see your point, and agree to some extend but...
Video shows most of the points in one set that FZD won. Let say 10 out of 12. Its not random clips.

Does it mean that FZD is playing >80% of balls with incorrect footwork and still is on top of the ranking? Well, I do not think so. He has perfect reasoning for what he is doing. He is moving in advance, he is not reacting, he follows the program :) It can be taught.
The last point of the set was the reaction you are probably talking about (jump for FH down the line), but otherwise I dont think so.

Anyways I am not telling that shuffling is wrong. This is basic footwork, but I am reffering to confussion that players have about weight transfering. That is why we want a player to plant the playing foot before stroke. It serves as support for stability of stroke and helps with learning spatial awareness of both strokes (FH and BH). Same reason with relative constant distance of knee and elbow.

I don't really have time to replay your whole video, so this is the first 75 seconds:

0:58 first point - pivot not in position
1:09 3rd point - pivot not in position
1:13 4th point - no footwork, just moved arm

Watch it a few times, and you can tell me what is text book and what is not and think for the position of coaching "beginners" if you want players to also hit without being in position.

As I said already and obviously you didn't read correctly, Fan isn't playing ">80% of balls with incorrect footwork and still is on top of the ranking".
Read my earlier posts again and you will seek the answer to your wrong understanding of my point

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2022
That was my point in the video. What seems right at the time can change if you see another context. TT is evolving.

As I see it:
0:58 - no intention to pivot. just cover BH side with potential to play BH down the line. ZJK played to FZD FH elbow so he is forced to do quick switch and adjust body to make space for the FH shot.
1:09 - this is interesting. From the movement of ZJK stroke on BH it seems that the trajectory is curving more to towards middle side of table with kick to FZD FH side. Actually, FZD is ready to play FH from middle, but the ball kicks in the oposite direction and FZD is again forced to react to that. After he saves the unpleasant ball he then pivots with clear intention.(pause the video and step it with "," and "." keys)
1:13 - this is situation that I was reffering to training FH cross with slightly different posture of body. It seem counterintutitive at first, but I think this shot was for FZD more confortable than those in previous two examples. Not optimal, but not bad either. It looks like he has right foot in front, but if you take line of play into consideration his posture is actually fairly balanced and effective.

In my videos I am not trying to argue, or tell that general knowledge and training methods are wrong. Just trying to offer different perspective to our game.
I just want people to think about TT more.

Hope it make sense :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
That was my point in the video. What seems right at the time can change if you see another context. TT is evolving.

As I see it:
0:58 - no intention to pivot. just cover BH side with potential to play BH down the line. ZJK played to FZD FH elbow so he is forced to do quick switch and adjust body to make space for the FH shot.
1:09 - this is interesting. From the movement of ZJK stroke on BH it seems that the trajectory is curving more to towards middle side of table with kick to FZD FH side. Actually, FZD is ready to play FH from middle, but the ball kicks in the oposite direction and FZD is again forced to react to that. After he saves the unpleasant ball he then pivots with clear intention.(pause the video and step it with "," and "." keys)
1:13 - this is situation that I was reffering to training FH cross with slightly different posture of body. It seem counterintutitive at first, but I think this shot was for FZD more confortable than those in previous two examples. Not optimal, but not bad either. It looks like he has right foot in front, but if you take line of play into consideration his posture is actually fairly balanced and effective.

In my videos I am not trying to argue, or tell that general knowledge and training methods are wrong. Just trying to offer different perspective to our game.
I just want people to think about TT more.

Hope it make sense :)

If your video is for beginners or to be used as educational, then you can't use "surprised" movement as text book content. Think about it and thank me later.

Got nothing about evolving, its been like this for 30 years that I have been involved with the sport.
I've been involved with both development in weak 3rd work TT countries, and semi pro circles in top 5 in the world.

0:58, FZD was stuck, he could not move, so he played a non text book stroke and got the ball back - in high level circles, we call that high quality shots, shots made when out of position.

(But) You don't teach that to beginners, to just play with your arm, and anchor your whole body like Fan did.
You are talking about footwork, but there was no footwork? So your video content is not suitable for your message. Seems like I am just repeating myself.

You should rather take training videos, and slow motion it for educational.