stratus powerwood

This user has no status.
Hi all.

I have been using Tibhar Stratus Powerwood with a straight handle for the last 5 months. I have found out that my hand slips much more than on primorac off-. Which is quite annoying in long rallies. Would you say that the stratus has a very smooth handle. Did anyone else have the same problem? Or is it just me.

This user has no status.
I think I will stay with it for the next 3/4 months and save up for a different blade like Carbonado 190/145 as I heard they are quite good or the Rosewood. I will stay with the flared handle. Straight is good but not the best for me. I am also thinking about the Viscaria all of them are in the range £100-120

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
I have big hands. I use to build up tape or wrap a considerable amount and that actually worked pretty good but that was a bit of a hassle could look kind of strange. So I started using these rubber selves. Which are a nice product. Obviously you can roll them out straight over the entire handle or I just double them up and the work great. I buy flare grip paddles and double them up in the middle and they end up being more straight handled. There are about a 1.50 a pop so I have them for all my rackets.
958d6e31570aaf2fcff6048e0da8c75d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
my power wood also has a smooth finish on its handle btw. I was wondering if it was because they put a finish over the white graphic lines they transfer or print on the handle. you know to protect it a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The straight handled SPW tends to slip unless you have a high grip on the handle. I use grip tape as well. I think buying tennis grip tape and using half of the amount given for a tennis racket is the best. Cheaper than TT grip tape which is the same but overpriced.

I had the same problem with a Viscaria flare and the grip tape did a great job. I'm using another blade with anatomic handle and it's great, never felt any slippage, but I have a bit less wrist mobility on my backhand something I'm able to avoid with a loose grip when needed.

I'm using Tourna Grip and like NextLevel told it's cheaper than TT grip tape and works just fine.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have big hands. I use to build up tape or wrap a considerable amount and that actually worked pretty good but that was a bit of a hassle could look kind of strange. So I started using these rubber selves. Which are a nice product. Obviously you can roll them out straight over the entire handle or I just double them up and the work great. I buy flare grip paddles and double them up in the middle and they end up being more straight handled. There are about a 1.50 a pop so I have them for all my rackets.
958d6e31570aaf2fcff6048e0da8c75d.jpg

You've almost made the shape of an anatomic handle with the way you double up the rubber grip. Have you ever tried an anatomic handle. It might feel really good to you with one of your grips on it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Yes I have tried anatomic handles and I like it. But I just started going with flare because they are the biggest base to start with. Before I used tennis rap or anything I would build up thick rubber bands in the center of the grip and this would give me something to grip while helping me to remember to hold it loosely. often playing or practicing while only holding it with two fingers. I would still put rubber bands under the tennis rap in the middle to help promote this loose grip and you can see I still have some rubber bands to a lesser degrees on the power wood.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Will do shuki. I need to make it over there to play sometime soon. I've been traveling a tone and when here slammed with deadlines. I haven't even see ray in a while and we're neighbors more or less.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Will do shuki. I need to make it over there to play sometime soon. I've been traveling a tone and when here slammed with deadlines. I haven't even see ray in a while and we are nabors

great! i'd love to see you at our club more frequently! ray's been improving quite a bit and I'd love to run some drills with you again!

Reactions: gmiller2233
I'm using a Stratus Power Wood for about two weeks and after one session I put a grip tape on this blade too. The finish is great, the handle is sanded and the tape just gives me a few millimeters and avoid any slippage when my hands get sweaty.

I bought this blade for training purposes and for my sons, but at this moment it's my favorite axe. The OFF- is underrated, this blade is flat out OFF, almost as fast as Viscaria and way faster than an ALL+ blade I have. With a long FL handle with the grip tape it is the most comfy blade I've used (I have big hands).

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
This is the way I used to do it. You really don't need much of the grip tape. You can actually use less than this. I can't find a picture of it, but for a long time I just used one strip in the middle of the handle, not so much to make it bigger but just a little sticker and easier to switch grip. This is tennis grip, but cut to be just a few inches long. One tennis grip can wrap a bunch of table tennis handles.

I eventually weened myself off of it. Lately I have been thinking about trying it again.

Also Luis is right, the Stratus Powerwood is almost as fast as a Viscaria, and by far my favorite all-Wood blade.

favorite viscaria 3.jpg

Last edited: