SUNNYSIX rubbers / GEWO Hype KR Pro(Yoo Nam Kyu) / ITC with Ryu Seung Min

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Lee91,

Longtime forum operator "Hedgehog" gave up his huge forum recently, I guess he is busy with ITC designing blades?

He was never appreciated enough by people in my opinion.

Who is running Sunny rubbers? Where are they sold in Korea? I cannot locate a distributor in my quick search.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Lee91,

Longtime forum operator "Hedgehog" gave up his huge forum recently, I guess he is busy with ITC designing blades?

He was never appreciated enough by people in my opinion.

Who is running Sunny rubbers? Where are they sold in Korea? I cannot locate a distributor in my quick search.

I have heard "Hedgehog" was discouraged by some people(the ones you mentioned) and he wanted to apply himself to writing articles.

Sunnysix runs Sunny rubbers, and they are being sold in Korea. I think they don't have any overseas distributors yet, and the website is

http://sunnysix.net/index.php

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hedgehog, 고슴두치, (Jeremy Yoon to the rest of the world) was ALWAYS excellent at writing articles. They always had such great insight, even 10+ yrs ago. His Daum website was the absolute best and biggest of Korean TT forums for over a decade.

Why Butterfly or anyone would get rid of him as a writer on their websites is beyond belief. Maybe he had an American attitude that leadership hated on real bad. His posts on OOAK forum showed he had both classic Korean and American attitudes/beliefs.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Mr. Lee, I can see your viewpoint. You have to understand that if you ran what was pretty much equivalent to the national forum and let people run amok without control, it could get out of hand quickly. Americans have a saying - Haters are gunna hate. Koreans do not have such an expression exactly.

I have been active on forums for ONLY ten years and can say that the list of forums that died due to lack of control is HUGE.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
What I wanted to say is.. "some" people argued that his attitude is too firm, though he had to control huge forum, and Hedgehog was discouraged by "these" people, and I have heard that this is one of the reason why he gave up his forum.
I understand why Hedgehog had to be somewhat firm, and I understand why people might have hated him. I recognize his contribution to Korean table tennis by running such a huge forum. I didn't meant his attitude is bad.
I can't convey the meaning well in English. :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
hedge hog guy's article is all subjective and always make what he sells look good. (from xiom developer days to ITC's)
his site was a platform to sell his stuff and recently people caught up to this gimmick.

Yea I have heard of it. But I have become active pretty recently in hedgehog forum, so I can't say I know much about it.
One thing I clearly remember is that his subjective articles made some people don't like him.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Yea I have heard of it. But I have become active pretty recently in hedgehog forum, so I can't say I know much about it.
One thing I clearly remember is that his subjective articles made some people don't like him.

now it became tak9.com 's community site hahaha
I guess its all about the business

This user has no status.
since I am based in Korea, I just recently got my hands on the Gewo Hype Kr and will be getting the sunny7 rubber in a couple of days. I tried out the Gewo on my backhand side and I loved how I was able to backhand loop heavy underspin balls very easily using this rubber. It was very bouncy at first so I had to get used to it but I like the responsiveness I got with it. When I get the sunny7 rubber for the forehand side, I will try it out and let you guys know

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
A quick Gewo Hype Kr review.

Having played with a tacky chinese rubber on FH on an off- class carbon blade for almost 3 years, the inner EJ has won and I decided to try some new equipment after the end of the league season in April. Thought I'd give OSP Expert a try and put MX-S on FH and EL-S on BH. Played 3 tournaments with the new setup since then.

In short, everything Dan and yogibear wrote about MX-S/EL-S in their reviews is true. Both rubbers are plenty fast even on the Expert and are very spinny. El-S in particular is a very nice rubber that is very easy to play with no matter how tired or how out of position you are. MS-S is awesome until you're about to play your 10th match on the day of the tournament and are feeling a bit tired :)

So, I decided to EJ a bit more and try something other than MX-S for my FH. Tried EL-S but it felt a bit too soft. Picked GEWO's Hype Kr and purchased a pair of sheets in max thickness in early June. Since then I practiced about twice a week on average with the new setup, and here are my thoughts on Hype Kr.

Anyhow, the gory details. The first thing one noticed after opening the Hype Kr package is the booster smell. It is almost sweet and nothing like EL-S/MX-S. The tuning effect is quite noticeable when rubber is laying flat with the sponge down - the corners of the rubber curl up a bit.

Visually Hype Kr looks almost the same as EL-S aside from the sponge colour. The topsheet surface and the pips feel and look identical to me. The sponge structure and bubble size seems very similar as well.

IMG_20170702_182015.jpg
Hardness-wise (under the highly unscientific finger press test) Hype Kr feels somewhere in between EL-S and MX-S.

Playing impressions:

Short game: Hype Kr is very similar to both ES-S (and MX-S) in the short game. Very grippy topsheet, similar spin sensitivity to EL-S.

Attacking shots: This is where the boosted nature of Hype Kr shows itself. I agree with Paul - Hype Kr is a very responsive rubber, definitely faster than EL-S, with much stronger catapult, and consequentially lower arc, longer throw. I would even say it is at least as fast as MX-S on full effort shots. Most importantly, much less effort is needed to engage the catapult as compared to MX-S. Spinwise it seems to be just as spinny as EL-S on slower loops and as MX-S on faster loops with full sponge engagement.

TLDR: IMHO, Hype Kr is a very interesting rubber with a lot of potential. Ideal target audience - players with good technique who need a spinny and fast rubber, with strong catapult effect, that retains the best properties of both EL-S and MX-S but is easier to play with than MX-S.

I am about to play two tournaments, which ought to be a real test for the rubber. Will do a follow up afterwards.

This user has no status.
Thanks for the review. I feel very similar to the way that vvk1 does here. What I really like the Gewo more and more I use it is the fact that I can loop any ball very easily. Some of the people in my club were surprised at some of the balls that were coming back to them. My backhand has improved dramatically using this rubber. Blocking is also good with this rubber and it does have a longer throw so shots have to be placed or it will fly a little long.<br>

Now as for the sunny7 rubber. I have been using it for about 2 weeks now and I would like to share a couple of things about it. First, it is very tacky similar to the hurricane 3 neo commercial or the whale 2. When bouncing the ball on my OSP Virtuoso, the ball basically dies after one bounce and gets stuck on the rubber. I felt that the throw was very low and the hardness was around 39-40, even with booster it felt harder than my hurricane 3 neo at 39 degrees. I was afraid that the ball would barely make it across the net. However, after the initial couple of hits, I could settle in and hit some massive topspins. You will definitely need to use a lot of force in order to use this rubber.

I talked to the SunnySix representative via phone because I was so curious about the rubber and he told me that they were basically trying to copy the rubber that Ma Long and the Chinese National Team uses which is the Hurricane 3 blue sponge. Although I have never used the blue sponge, I have used the provincial, commercial and the nittaku hurricane 3 neo and I felt that the throw was lower than those rubbers.

Blocks were fair easy especially when the opponent is hitting that ball hard as the power basically gets reflected back to them. However, you do have to put a little force behind the shot or else it will go into the net. Also, if you brush the ball too much, the ball doesn't go very far so you do have to put impact on the ball. All in all, it is perfect for people like me to like to hit very hard especially on the forehand with a lot of spin. However, if you are the type of person who wants the rubber to do some of the work for you, I don't think this is the rubber for you.

As for reference, I have used various rubbers throughout my table tennis mainly hurricane 3, whale 2, tenergy 05, tenergy 64, joola express 1, tibhar el-s, el-p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Thanks for the review. I feel very similar to the way that vvk1 does here.

Me too.

What I really like the Gewo more and more I use it is the fact that I can loop any ball very easily.

Important point, as this is where Evolution EL-S also excels. Some rubbers have all the power for the NEXT shot, but do not offer any support on the FIRST.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
Anyone can compare it to the MX-P?

I don't have a sheet of MX-P handy at the moment, but I used to play with it when it just came out. One thing I can definitely remember is the quite noticeable shrinkage of MX-P once the booster airs out. Whereas after a month of use and a couple of re-gluings, Hype Kr has not shrunk at all.