Survey on travel costs/time

says what [IMG]
Each of my sessions are 3-3,5 hours. City sessions (free) are 3 hours. Club is $5 for 3,5 hours.
Here, we go by hourly fees.

Do you always have people to play with? Here there's a policy that you need a partner, although some places like the place I'm looking at are more like training facilities, so they do have a lot of people to play with.

Q: do I always have someone to play with?
A. Yes, unless I arrive early.

Just today I was at the more formal club (that charges $5) and I played a high ranking (2000) player. We played a match and I lost (6-11, 9-11, 5-11). There were very few people today (9 people) as we had bad storms and many people have been without electricity for 2 days.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
My main club price: 37USD per month.
Distance: I go after work, from work its 5 min. but 25 min from home.

Coaching: Only 20$ per session. Lasts 2-3 hours

Tournament travel: My main club started having semi annual tournaments, but if I were to travel for one it would be over 4 hours of driving.

What it comes down to, is whether YOU think it's worth it. A new player that likes the game and wants to get better wouldn't spend much, but someone who's really buckled into the game would want to spend more. Table tennis is a lot cheaper than other sports but it still comes down to how important it is to you. Who cares what other people do, other people may be more dedicated or less dedicated than you.

Good thread

Reactions: Archosaurus
says what [IMG]
My main club price: 37USD per month.
Distance: I go after work, from work its 5 min. but 25 min from home.

Coaching: Only 20$ per session. Lasts 2-3 hours

Tournament travel: My main club started having semi annual tournaments, but if I were to travel for one it would be over 4 hours of driving.

What it comes down to, is whether YOU think it's worth it. A new player that likes the game and wants to get better wouldn't spend much, but someone who's really buckled into the game would want to spend more. Table tennis is a lot cheaper than other sports but it still comes down to how important it is to you. Who cares what other people do, other people may be more dedicated or less dedicated than you.

Good thread

"My wallet's saying no
but my body
my body is telling me yeeesssss!"

I'm part of a tt club in France, so its really cheap compared to what I read. I can go whenever I want with club partners, the coach is a close a friend and paid by the club to coach about 9 hours per weeks (2 hours for adults, rest is invested on kids and young ones). The membership is about €130 per years, by car it takes 5 min from my home (many time I dont even take my car). The membership includes being a part a "team". A team plays 14 matches per seasons. A team is composed of 4 players, some years ago the teams were composed of 6 players : 7 matches "home", 7 matches "away" (the fees are paid by the club when a team is playing "away").
A match between two teams, each player will play 3 singles and one double.

So yeah its really cheap, once your are member of the club for a few years, you can even ask for a keys set and the you can even go train at 3 am if you want to.......

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
I'm part of a tt club in France, so its really cheap compared to what I read. I can go whenever I want with club partners, the coach is a close a friend and paid by the club to coach about 9 hours per weeks (2 hours for adults, rest is invested on kids and young ones). The membership is about €130 per years, by car it takes 5 min from my home (many time I dont even take my car). The membership includes being a part a "team". A team plays 14 matches per seasons. A team is composed of 4 players, some years ago the teams were composed of 6 players : 7 matches "home", 7 matches "away" (the fees are paid by the club when a team is playing "away").
A match between two teams, each player will play 3 singles and one double.

So yeah its really cheap, once your are member of the club for a few years, you can even ask for a keys set and the you can even go train at 3 am if you want to.......

That's obviously a very good deal, especially coach part and 7 day/24 hr access. Since money has to come from somewhere - are there subsidies from the government involved?

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Hello.

I'm interested: just how dry do you guys bleed to be able to play where you play? :p

List your distance traveled and average cost for a trip there and back, and also how long it takes + any additional costs there might be, like vehicle maintenance per month.

I'm asking because I found a very tempting place that has quite good prices for training and probably the most competitive players in the whole country, but simply traveling there would be way over my budget. I want to know if I'm just being a cheapskate or it is reasonable to not want to pay a pretty big sum of money every time I go there.

I live in a very large city about as different from Finland as it is possible to be, I suspect. My commute from home or work to my table tennis club is minimum 40 minutes, and longer at rush hour. It is about 25 km each way. Gas in the US is cheap, and I am not sure how to factor in wear and tear on my car. On my return trip, I pay about $1.50 USD in tolls (fast and more direct but oddly enough on the way to the club a traffic nightmare that I avoid).

The thing is, though, only you can know your budget and priorities.

For me, doing this 3 times a week is not something I even think about in terms of costs or travel time. It is just what I do. Back when I was a broke student, it would have been different.

After reading this thread, I think again to myself, and not for the first time, that I should live somewhere in France.
My club costs $60 per month. But it is available 7 days a week and unlimited play. Some people pay an $8 daily fee instead, or they by three passes for $20.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shuki
The town is giving us subsidies, we also organize a national tournament each years also but the main part it the town providing us the club local for free ( in ""exchange"" we let the club for various schools of the town about 4 hours per weeks, its also good for the club in order to find new young players/talents :D ).