Table Tennis on 4 tables!

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hey everyone, I just had this video sent in to me on the TableTennisDaily facebook page. It is dam impressive! The rallies are very, very good!

Who has played this type of table tennis? Does it have a name? I have heard it is becoming very popular in Germany.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
I think the game requires a higher athletic ability but it is easier.
In this game, you are required to:

Move more quickly to get to the ball and cover more distances

Have a good backhand because it is hard to step around

Have great strength to be able to push the ball quickly all the way. As you can see at 2:09 in the video, if the ball bounces twice on the other side, the opponent can wait for it. That gives the opponent a huge advantage, so you must hit it off the end.

Here is why the game might be harder:

Studies have been done, and have proven that the top table tennis players have as good cardio strength as the top soccer players. BUT at just slightly lower levels, we do not need to be in excellent athletic condition. We see that He Zhi Wen was ranked 70 at age 52. We would never see a soccer player or tennis player in the top 100. I have looked at a tennis ranking list and the oldest player in the top 100 men and women is 35.

He Zhi Wen would not be able to be anywhere near the top 100 in this new game. Blockers would not be able to dominate the lower levels.

But I think the game is easier. You can whack the ball in the middle and they would not have a kill shot. You can't drop shot, because the opponent can just wait for the ball to bounce a lot and then whack it. The rallies would be longer, and maybe that's good, but there would be no more multiball training, because it is so easy to get the ball on the table.

Just my thoughts.

This user has no status.
Its known as Vierertisch / 4er-Tisch

The rules are quite similair to Table Tennis. But the ball is allowed to bounce twice on the opponents half and the serving rule is more like tennis; you have to serve crosscourt one time from the left side and one time to the right side.

For the rest I beleive the other rules are the same as the regular tabletennis rules (apart from the net height).

Reactions: agold and Dan
says Aging is a killer
Great looking game. I might try it at my club. The thing is though that TT loses much of it's features that make it so versatile.
1 The area needed is much bigger, thus can't fit into many of small social clubs barrooms etc. Think badminton type area.
2 The 8 players that could be using those tables now fall to 2.
3 Older or immobile/disabled players are much more disadvantaged.
But it does suit the ITTF desire to make the balls eventually be as big as tennis balls. Ok 44mm.
It does add to the number of ways that we can play the sport and train for the sport.

This user has no status.
Yeah that´s right. In Germany almost everybody knows 4er-Tisch.
Check out our facebook website:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vierertisch/224887957523989?ref=hl

and our homepage:
http://4er-tisch.de/

111.JPG

4 Tables. One Passion!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Does anyone know how high the net is for this? I've been trying to look around online, but I can't find anywhere that has any rules. I imagine any number of bounces is acceptable, seeing as the ball bounced two times during one rally, but there seem to be some implied service rules that are also not explained. Anyone have information? I totally want to try this at my club in the other room where we have 4 tables that are not often used.

This user has no status.
Does anyone know how high the net is for this? I've been trying to look around online, but I can't find anywhere that has any rules. I imagine any number of bounces is acceptable, seeing as the ball bounced two times during one rally, but there seem to be some implied service rules that are also not explained. Anyone have information? I totally want to try this at my club in the other room where we have 4 tables that are not often used.

28 Centimeters

This user has no status.
We actually tried this after practice on Monday! The game is super fun!

Check out probably the first ever points played in Greece! This is us getting the hang of it, after we stopped recording there were some really great points, including an around the net (more like around the chair supported structure thingy!) shot!

We also played doubles, ideal for elder people, or those who are too lazy to run around! :p

I suggest if you have the chance to try it! It is so liberating to spin with everything you have, and still hit the table (most of the times :D)!

Now we only have to get a proper net, anyone knows where we can find one?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
I'd like to try it for fun :) It is kind of crazy.

Have to say it is a completely different game though, more like mini tennis than table tennis. Lots of subtle stuff is completely removed from the game and it becomes more of a slug fest. I really can't imagine why it should have a rule allowing the ball to bounce many times - seems completely unnecessary and removes a lot from the game. Why are there no short serves ? Is that forbidden ?

It is interesting to wonder how Table Tennis would change by changes in the size of the table. I guess the table size we have is an historical accident rather than any scientifically considered size. It is too late to change now with millions (billions*) of TT tables in the world, but what would the game be like with a table 10cm wider and 10cm longer ?

*There's a question for somebody to have a go at. How many table tennis tables are there in the world ? Are there more tables in China than there are people in the UK ?