The best wood blade

says Aging is a killer
American Hinoki WRC 1-ply 9mm. I've owned 3 and played with them for about 4years.
Avalox P700
Nittaku Runlox-05. Same as Avalox P500.
Darker 7P-2A. Newest acquisition great feeling but handle a bit too narrow as compared to the others.

Having got used to the 1-ply, all other blades tend to feel flimsy.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
American Hinoki WRC 1-ply 9mm. I've owned 3 and played with them for about 4years.
Avalox P700
Nittaku Runlox-05. Same as Avalox P500.
Darker 7P-2A. Newest acquisition great feeling but handle a bit too narrow as compared to the others.

Having got used to the 1-ply, all other blades tend to feel flimsy.

Tinykin, if you like one ply Hinoki, you should try Darker Speed 90. Way better quality than the American Hinoki blades. They are still really good, but the Darker Speed 90 is just outrageous. If you did not like the 7P-2A's handle, think about getting a straight handle. They are thicker. The Darker Speed 90 is the most amazing all wood blade I have felt. Only problem with One Ply Hinoki blades, they break easily because they are one ply and the blades split at the grains in the wood. I recommend one of those metal cases fully supported if you are going to use a One Ply.

My favorite all wood blade for practical purposes remains the Stiga Clipper. One Ply blades are too thick at 9-12mm. A Clipper, at 7mm is manageable.

Reactions: Tinykin
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Stiga Tube Allround , very good feel and control , still fast enough (i would rate it AR+)

You can't go wrong with this one , in general the Stiga wood range has a great quality !

( I also know the Andro Super Core cell All+ is a great allround wood blade, it is faster than the Tube Allround, so less controlled, but better offensive potential, it has 7 wood layers).

Philly, the Andro OFF wood blade I have as a 5th backup to use in Army rec centers is indeed the super core cell series. Good feel and control with recycled Aurus and a sheet of decade old Bryce that is still playable. Control and a bit of pace, not like my TBS or Arirang, but good enough to be a rec center hero...

says Aging is a killer
Tinykin, if you like one ply Hinoki, you should try Darker Speed 90. Way better quality than the American Hinoki blades. They are still really good, but the Darker Speed 90 is just outrageous. If you did not like the 7P-2A's handle, think about getting a straight handle. They are thicker. The Darker Speed 90 is the most amazing all wood blade I have felt. Only problem with One Ply Hinoki blades, they break easily because they are one ply and the blades split at the grains in the wood. I recommend one of those metal cases fully supported if you are going to use a One Ply.

My favorite all wood blade for practical purposes remains the Stiga Clipper. One Ply blades are too thick at 9-12mm. A Clipper, at 7mm is manageable.

Yes, I will get the speed 90 one day. It will be my next deliberate purchase, hopefully.
Since my post, I have been using the 7P almost exclusively and I've got to grips with the slim handle (get it). It's interesting as it causes me to use a more close to the blade grip which is then used for all strokes rather than the slight change of grip that I usually do.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yes, I will get the speed 90 one day. It will be my next deliberate purchase, hopefully.
Since my post, I have been using the 7P almost exclusively and I've got to grips with the slim handle (get it). It's interesting as it causes me to use a more close to the blade grip which is then used for all strokes rather than the slight change of grip that I usually do.

Interesting. That was one thing that I thought was not great, at first about the my Timo Boll ZLF. I was used to a Stiga Legend Flair and the Butterfly flairs feel like popsicle sticks next to the legend flair. At this point, I don't even fully use the handle. I am controlling the blade face with how I hold my index finger and thumb on the base of the blade face at the bottom of the rubber. It is how I always held for my backhand but now I am doing it with my forehand as well which does end up meaning I am higher up on the handle. The grip does sort of change. But I am not changing it. It just happens as a result of how I adjust my wrist for forehand and backhand.

Anyway, glad you started liking the Darker 7 ply. My sister has the Darker 7P-2a.7T and that one is a beast. But the best all wood blade I have ever felt, hands down, at least for ripping the ball with, is the Darker Speed 90. But I am pretty sure the reason the top shakehand players don't use one ply Hinoki blades is that 9mm starts to interfere with how you serve for a shakehand player. Whereas, it would not for a penhold player.

Last edited:
says Aging is a killer
I think they don't use the 1-ply as they don't actually see one until they are already near-pro and the change would be too great at that stage. Plus, according to Forum wisdom, the big player-sponsors don't have a 1-ply comparable in quality to the Darker (but the player could swap handles, I suppose). But if they tried it when they were a competent player at say, 12yo, then more might have taken it on.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
I love wood blades! What's the difference between YEO and Stiga Clipper? I would like to know just in case if I want to upgrade or change up.

With walnut outer layer the blade is stiffer so harder to lift the ball and YEO has a quite long trajectory so it is a very difficult blade to master and I wouldn't recommend using tenergy on FH.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I love wood blades! What's the difference between YEO and Stiga Clipper? I would like to know just in case if I want to upgrade or change up.

These are the wood plies on a Clipper:

Limba-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Limba

A Clipper is 7mm thick.

I believe these are the plies for a Yasaka Extra Offensive:

Walnut-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Walnut

I don't know how thick but I believe it is about 6mm or under which would mean it has more flex than the Clipper.

The Walnut top ply is much harder than the Limba outer ply of the Clipper. The Spruce ply is much softer and springier than the Ayous plies of the Clipper, and 5 plies is usually slower and more flexy than 7 plies (not aways, it depends on the combination of woods, the thickness of the plies). But those two blades should not feel similar at all.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think they don't use the 1-ply as they don't actually see one until they are already near-pro and the change would be too great at that stage. Plus, according to Forum wisdom, the big player-sponsors don't have a 1-ply comparable in quality to the Darker (but the player could swap handles, I suppose). But if they tried it when they were a competent player at say, 12yo, then more might have taken it on.

I actually think there are different reasons. And there are still top penhold players who use one ply blades like Ryu Seung Min.

But no matter what, they are amazing to hit with and it is amazing how many gears you get from a one ply Hinoki blade that has high quality Hinoki in it.