Throw angle of rubbers

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Tropical, Yasaka tried to do this in the manner you desire with their Extend series of rubbers. On the back of the package they drew a flight chart of ball over table with their three versions.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Here is a pic of the backside of the rubber package showing it.

1248103467.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2017
Baal, you are too old fashioned. People are using blood tests to predict whether they will get a disease with good certainty. One day the TT engineers all be vindicated by an app you can use to scan a rubber from your phone and tell what the throw, spin and speed are.

As opposed to what? Often ambiguous descriptions from players of differing styles/levels. Or whatever product is in fashion.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Here are the options.
1. There is word of mouth (or forums).
2. Some imprecise set of numbers, that can't really capture everything or even all that much about a rubber. Right now we have "speed", "spin" and "control".
3. Or you can try it yourself.

That is all there is. The third option is the best, but expensive unless you just try a friend's blade.

Forum descriptions are sometimes vague and not always very correct, but convey more than the three numbers we get now especially when several people say the same thing. Still far from ideal, I get that. (Even Dan and Tom's video reviews are sometimes hard to evaluate because they always seem to like everything!) Adding one or two more numbers to what we have now isn't going to help much, but good standardized graphs might be ok if the vendors don't double prices in response to a new ITTF mandate (like happened after the speed glue ban and with 40+ balls), and if they cut across manufacturers.

Buyer beware. If you insist on trying to find equipment solutions to weaknesses in your game, you may spend a lot and never find anything but minor variations of what you started with. Manufacturers are counting on this. I have wasted lots of money this way and I know better, but it comes down to I don't mind spending money on my hobby and I like new toys. Good thing I don't race cars or fly planes.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
What is the throw angle of my Butterfly Long III ? :)

You joke but long pips also throw different off blocks and chops. Dtecs and blocking ones throw low, and chopping ones with some grip will throw higher, but still a lot lower than short pips or any inverted. That's why you don't play spin variation into blocking pips, or do that more to chopper FH than BH.

Reactions: tropical and BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
You joke but long pips also throw different off blocks and chops. Dtecs and blocking ones throw low, and chopping ones with some grip will throw higher, but still a lot lower than short pips or any inverted. That's why you don't play spin variation into blocking pips, or do that more to chopper FH than BH.

I agree. Butterfly has Long II and III and I tried both. Differences are subtle for same sponge thickness. Butterfly may want to come with a new term for long pips in chopping, another for pushing, then another for hitting, ahh... too complex for my table tennis engineer mind.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
By the way, on a previous thread, now locked, I reacted badly to something the poster Tenergy 05 wrote that I mistakenly attributed to Tropical. In fact, Tropical did not make make such a cruel statement. I just wanted to make that clear.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
By the way, on a previous thread, now locked, I reacted badly to something the poster Tenergy 05 wrote that I mistakenly attributed to Tropical. In fact, Tropical did not make make such a cruel statement. I just wanted to make that clear.

Thanks for clarification.
[Emoji106]
But was it really necessary to lock down that thread? I think it would have been enough to just delete that insulting insensitive post.

Now it's a bit unfair towards EmRatThich's thread, who actually just posted his vids and has got nothing to do with statements made by others.

Now it makes some people look a little as if they just had been waiting for something like this to happen, so they have a reason to close down a thread with vids they didn't like in the first place. This looks very arbitrarily since there were was more insulting threads, like the one where EmRatThich was accused of being a spammer. Strangely mods have been pretty quiet on that. I always thought mods were here to deescalate and not put more oil to the fire
This makes it look like only threads that don't fit the likes of some mods get closed down! Totally disappointing!

Strange way to deal with things if you ask me!

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
My sis died of ovarian cancer last Nov. She fought the cruel disease for 7 years until her body couldn't stand it any longer. It took a lot of courage not just her but also for the rest of family helplessly watching a loved one who suffered so long.

Sorry to hear. Hopefully, TT helped you cope with it.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Thanks for clarification.
[Emoji106]
But was it really necessary to lock down that thread? I think it would have been enough to just delete that insulting insensitive post.

Now it's a bit unfair towards EmRatThich's thread, who actually just posted his vids and has got nothing to do with statements made by others.

Now it makes some people look a little as if they just had been waiting for something like this to happen, so they have a reason to close down a thread with vids they didn't like in the first place. This looks very arbitrarily since there were was more insulting threads, like the one where EmRatThich was accused of being a spammer. Strangely mods have been pretty quiet on that. I always thought mods were here to deescalate and not put more oil to the fire
This makes it look like only threads that don't fit the likes of some mods get closed down! Totally disappointing!

Strange way to deal with things if you ask me!

I think the answer is clear when people talk bullshit about someone who did nothing wrong for many pages. But when they are criticized play the victim for more pages, then attack their new target. I just said straightforward what I thought for good reason and that makes for a disadvantage, so maybe best to avoid such people.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Actually, what I did was contact EmRatThich and ask if he would post a new thread that hopefully will simply stay on the subject of his videos rather than the personal attacks that kept the old thread going.

I also conferred with Suga D to make sure we were on the same page. Last couple of days I have had an awful lot going on in my personal life that has meant I have not been on line as much. So it has taken longer than usual to respond to certain things.

Now, please, let's let this thread go back to the subject of Throw Angle.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I heard the Mob has outfitted the Goon Squad with ultra Low throw Calibra LT rubbers.

I don't think LOW THROW gets any lower than Calibra LT rubber.

Now if they could only capture Pikachu before the fall down the trap door they would be loving life.