Top 10 Best Backhand Rubbers of All Time

Mr. Kopp Sir,

I respectfully say the author of that list of all time great BH rubbers has hiz HEAD stuck up hiz azz REAL DEEP... I would venture to say so deep that it comes out the other end... and is likely an idealist Millennial or younger with no real experience.... or was gulping down sum powerful meds hiz docs been prescribing for years. Maybe also a zombie fanboy too.

Two off the top, and I am NOT a fanboy of BTY are T05FX and Sriver FX for their eras... another one needing to be on this list is Nittaku HAMMOND... simply a pound it vs that incoming underspin and you can generate ur own spin too... add Aurus or Aurus soft to that list... do it all rubber consistent... much like vega but way better in every way.
No You’re wrong about T05FX. It makes the short game a nightmare. It’s way too catapulty.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I think you really have to keep the blade into consideration.

When I used to play with 5-ply wood blade, I really really enjoyed G-1 on my backhand side.

Now that I am using carbon, I like the softer C-1 much much better on that side.

I don't think one can talk about rubber without taking the blade into consideration.

I also like Rakza 7 soft on the carbon blade. T05 fx is too fast and I keep it on my wood blade.

When I used to play with 5-ply wood blade, I really really enjoyed G-1 on my backhand side.

Now that I am using carbon, I like the softer C-1 much much better on that side.

I don't think one can talk about rubber without taking the blade into consideration.

I also like Rakza 7 soft on the carbon blade. T05 fx is too fast and I keep it on my wood blade.
I only play with 5ply wood blades and T05FX is way too reactive. It’s great at attacking but when pushing it’s like walking on a razors edge. I gave up on it.
Currently I am using Donic Accuda blue P2. Less spin but much more control. (Sorry if this offends you @brokenball 🤣)

Cheers
L-z

Reactions: Choosikick and Kopp
But he left out H3 37 and D09c for bh
I agree - D09C could have been on the list even though for most players it is more suited to FH (as it is relatively more linear and needs constant active engagement and has less of the catapult that is so useful for most people for BH)

Reactions: Kopp
says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
Nov 2022

I agree that a player should consider the blade when choosing rubbers. And your level, whether it's beginner, intermediate, or advanced.

Nov 2022
I am USATT 2000 with a very strong FH (Chinese style power looper) and controlled BH. I play with a rotation of Friendship Battle 2/Power Bloom/Hurricane 3 41 on FH and rotate among the top 5 in this list for BH. This guy's is the best advice I have found on the internet as what he says matches exactly with my experience and learning over the years of playing TT (33 years at the time of this writing) and devoutly following the Chinese style. I can tell you that he knows his stuff and is the absolute real deal. I have tried a lot of BH rubbers and I can confirm that the top 5 mentioned in the list are actually the best by far for intermediate to advanced players and the order in the list is also spot on. For absolute beginners and beginners, a softer rubber like Xiom Vega Europe may be easier to control and to get a feel for the ball. I personally do not like the Rakza series (7, 7 soft and even X) at all as I felt them to be grossly underpowered and mushy but many people like them.
I agree with your comments, but I'm not sure about the person who wrote the blog. He may be a good content writer, but he hasn't proved himself to the table tennis community. He never showed up in his videos. Not only that, he also repurposes a portion of his writing without crediting the original author. Did you know that he used a question and answer from this forum to make a video that looked like his student asked him, and then gave his answer?

Reactions: Spinsanity
I agree with your comments, but I'm not sure about the person who wrote the blog. He may be a good content writer, but he hasn't proved himself to the table tennis community. He never showed up in his videos. Not only that, he also repurposes a portion of his writing without crediting the original author. Did you know that he used a question and answer from this forum to make a video that looked like his student asked him, and then gave his answer?
Lol - I didn't know about that particular instance of plagiarism on his side but I know what you are talking about. He copied one of my YouTube comments verbatim and quoted it in one of his videos without any mention of my name. And yes - he has never shown up in any of his videos. Uses some funky AI voice synthesizer these days as he probably was conscious about his own accent - which, I think shows his exploratory/progressive side in a positive light. Those quirky sides of him aside, I really like the actual net content he presents (I agree that some of it may be composed of excerpts from the internet but the net info (or should I say 'composition') is almost always very good IMHO).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Lol - I didn't know about that particular instance of plagiarism on his side but I know what you are talking about. He copied one of my YouTube comments verbatim and quoted it in one of his videos without any mention of my name. And yes - he has never shown up in any of his videos. Uses some funky AI voice synthesizer these days as he probably was conscious about his own accent - which, I think shows his exploratory/progressive side in a positive light. Those quirky sides of him aside, I really like the actual net content he presents (I agree that some of it may be composed of excerpts from the internet but the net info (or should I say 'composition') is almost always very good IMHO).
I would say 70% of what he says I agree. But I don't agree with the other 30%. Some people believe he is a fraud. Some people say it would be funny if he is a 900 USATT or 1000 USATT ranked player who gives out advise to other people.

I am now following a few Chinese, Vietnamese, and Japanese TT channels. I think they are all more helpful than he is. But honestly at my level, there is really not much to learn. It is about getting into position, faster movement, faster recovery and more stable in your shots. Coach Meng on the Japanese TT channel did open my eyes to some interesting Chiquita backhand strokes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
This thread is only about opinions and not facts.
What impulse can you generate with one that you can't with another rubber?
What can you do with one that you can't do with another rubber?

On my c-pen paddle I put together a RPB rubber using a HRS 1.9mm sponge a LKT Pro XP top sheet from zero pong. It plays well. I could spend more but I don't think I could do more with a faster rubber.

Nov 2022
Those quirky sides of him aside, I really like the actual net content he presents (I agree that some of it may be composed of excerpts from the internet but the net info (or should I say 'composition') is almost always very good IMHO).
Again, I agree with you, but mentioning or giving credit to the source doesn't take as much effort as making those videos. Not doing it is a huge mistake, people will look down on him.

ps. ERT, we know you read TTD forums. If you read this, give your sources credit next time, don't steal, okay.

Reactions: Spinsanity
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Again, I agree with you, but mentioning or giving credit to the source doesn't take as much effort as making those videos. Not doing it is a huge mistake, people will look down on him.

ps. ERT, we know you read TTD forums. If you read this, give your sources credit next time, don't steal, okay.
ERT quoted one of my pieces of advice verbatim from TTD. I took it that he agreed with my reasoning.

I thought it was funny and quirky.

Reactions: Spinsanity and Kopp

Ok. Just noticed something that takes the cake - on his own website articles, he has disabled selection of text (and thus disabled copying) using JavaScript! Atleast from the phone one cannot select any text from his articles! This is unbelievable. NOW I don't like this guy as he thinks it's ok to copy from others but it's not ok for anyone else to copy (his copied stuff lol) from his articles!

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
I read an article on PingSunday about the subject.

He recommended a bouncy, offensive and fast rubber with a hardness of around 41 to 50 or medium-hard. The thickness is between 2.0 to 2.2 mm. The hardness is generally 2 points lower than the FH.

He suggested a list:
  1. Tenergy 05
  2. Dignics 05
  3. Tenergy 64
  4. MX-P
  5. Fastarc G-1
  6. DHS Hurricane 3 H38
  7. Joola Rhyzm-P
  8. Rakza Z
  9. Vega Europe
  10. Bluefire M-2
What do you think of the writer's list?

It seems like newer or improving players have to spend a lot of money and try a lot of rubbers before they can decide which one will work best for them.

You can read the full article here.
He's a coach with chinese philosophy, these would be good choices for chinese players, but for us most of them would be unusable. You could use the g1 and vega europe very easily, and maybe you could get away with an mxp or t05, but nothing else. Dignics is out of the question, cause it's too expensive and can be too hard for some.

Better choices would be the 05fx, elp and fxp, bluestorm z3 and bluefire m3, in general softer rubbers with lower throw.

While for hard tacky and hard rubbers on the forehand you need a big and strong move, at the backhand they need short move and a lot of explosive power, and soft high tension rubbers perform much better in that department, that's why even the chinese use them for backhand. Even Kreanga, one of the best backhands, uses t05 fx. It allows you to rip through the ball with the backhand, has excellent control, speed and spin. But also slow down without loosing safety and give venomous spin, or play with no spin.

Also, it is good for the backhand rubber to have a lower throw that forehand to help with blocking, punching and countering. The move of the backhand supports a lower throw.

Sorry for the essay...😅

Reactions: Kopp
Mr. Kopp Sir,

I respectfully say the author of that list of all time great BH rubbers has hiz HEAD stuck up hiz azz REAL DEEP... I would venture to say so deep that it comes out the other end... and is likely an idealist Millennial or younger with no real experience.... or was gulping down sum powerful meds hiz docs been prescribing for years. Maybe also a zombie fanboy too.

Two off the top, and I am NOT a fanboy of BTY are T05FX and Sriver FX for their eras... another one needing to be on this list is Nittaku HAMMOND... simply a pound it vs that incoming underspin and you can generate ur own spin too... add Aurus or Aurus soft to that list... do it all rubber consistent... much like vega but way better in every way.
I'm wondering why you talk in that respectless way about a person, it seems you don't know. Only because of a list, that was cited by a member here!?

I started following "EmRatThich" some month before I returned to table tennis 2,5 years ago (after COV lockdown). As I was a youth coach 35 years ago, I learned a lot from his online coaching, related to modern TT, that had changed a lot. And he also put my view to the Chinese understanding of my sport. When you read his blog, you will find a person, that's far away from "I know everything". He is giving his opinions and his knowledge - for free. There is no need to follow every idea of ERT, but his work deserves acknowledgement.

m2c

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi