Which thickness of rubber would be a good fit for a beginner?

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Masterly, versatile play needs 1.8 or even 1.7 mm sponge.
Yes, the vulgaric lumberjack, blockhead, golem, forrestgump always want a max. 🐘🐑🐏🐐🐫🦍

Last edited:
says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
Nov 2022
Masterly, versatile play needs 1.8 or even 1.7 mm sponge.
Yes, the vulgaric lumberjack, blockhead, golem, forrestgump always want a max. 🐘🐑🐏🐐🐫🦍
2.0 is OK. In fact, all BTY max. rubbers are 2.1 (1.9–2.2). If a player already has some techniques, I think 1.9–2.2 is a practical option.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
My 17-year-old daughter is keen to learn table tennis, so I'm thinking to start off with a slight cheaply beginner setup. I'm considering using Vega Intro on a blade for beginners (have not decided yet) that is between flex and stiff in terms of elasticity.

The question is, which thickness should she start with?

Based on some forums I read, including TTD, it was suggested that beginners should start with thinner rubber, like below 2.0 mm.

But in this article by PingSunday, it says that new players who use thin rubber (below 2.0 mm) will improve slower than players who use maximum rubber (2.0 mm to max.). Using thin rubbers also form a bad habit.

Is this article reliable, or should I follow the suggestions on the forum?

Thank you!
ERT is an advocate of the modern two wing offensive looping style. It is the style most taught by coaches these days.

Hence when you read his recommendation, bear this point in mind.