Types of wood

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
When looking for blades, many different types of wood are advertised. Im no wood expert so I would like to know the characteristics + effects of each of the major types of wood used in table tennis blades.
Are there any types of wood that are outright bad/good?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Stervinou will cover 90%+ of the commonly used woods. If you don't see it there, go to www.wood-database.com and compare the specs.

Comparing the janka hardness is a good place to start (for getting a hypothesis on the feel). Hard outer ply with soft inner/core will give a relatively boxy/hollow/bouncy feel (most common). Soft surface + hard core will feel disproportionately "solid" the harder you hit, single material blades generally feel the cleanest, but rare. Feel preferences is completely subjective, you have to try different types to know what you like.

"Speed" is generally proportional to stiffness (elastic modulus). But it doesn't take much stiffness to max out potential speed because the ball is the general bottleneck. The harder you swing, the less difference in speed between blades, but generally stiffer blades are faster on less than high effort strokes.

I don't think rupture ad crushing strength is relevant to TT. The ball would crack/splatter long before permanent damage is done to the wood. With rubber attached (dampening/dissipating material), I don't think anyone swings fast enough to consistently crack ABS balls (not including edge hits)...hardbat is another story.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vxneji
This user has no status.
Reactions: Vxneji