Using Hide Glue for Table Tennis Blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I thought I'd make a separate topic for this so it's easier to find for those who may be interested in trying this or just to compare methods.

Firstly, there are loads of information on the internet about using hide glue. Here are a few links that I found useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Ubb659iXc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raq3pbGmmOg

If you are going to try using hide glue there are a few tips I would suggest:
1) Get the right equipment - this is essential. It needs to be heated in a water bath and the margins for error are small.
2) Buy high quality glue - look for what luthiers use. It comes in different strengths so go for the higher one.
3) As always, practice a few times first.
4) You need time and patience.
5) By the way it smells so do it outside. Personally I don't mind the smell but my kids always moan about it!

Step 1:
Here are the parts for the blade which will be a kiri - mahogany - birch composition with mahogany and maple burr handle.
IMG_0084.jpg

Step 2: Prepare your glue. You need to soak the pearls in water for at least 3 hours, I do it the day before. I put them in an old jam jar. Add just enough water to cover the pearls. After a few hours the water is soaked up and the glue will look like fish eggs.

IMG_0078.jpg

Step 3 - Cook the glue. This is where you need a water bath, I am lucky to have an old double boiler which is designed for this purpose. You can pick these up on auction sites or I am sure you could create something similar with an old pan of water with the jar suspended off the bottom of the pan. You can also buy electric versions too.

Here is my set up. I use an electric hob (cost about £15) and a thermometer which is crucial.
IMG_0079.jpg

This is where it can go wrong! You need to cook the glue at around 155 degrees fahrenheit (approx 70 degrees C) for at least 30 mins. If you don't get it hot enough or it gets too hot it will affect it's adherence. You need to cook it until it's starts to foam or bubble, sometimes a skin forms. Just stir all this back in. You also need to get the consistency right too, something similar to cream or paint. Too thin and you'll loose adherence and too thick and it's hard to spread. Add water or cook for longer to reduce- I have a water bottle on hand.

Step 3: Apply to your veneer. I've found that a small paint brush works best. Obviously make sure the coverage is even and complete.

IMG_0088.jpg

Press as normal. Clean up is easy, you just need hot water, I tend to use the hot water in the outside boiler. When you get it right the bond is superb, strong and as you can see from the weight of the final blade one of the lightest glues. If you have any left it will keep in the fridge or outside for a few days. It does seem to get stronger when it's reheated. It can develop mould, in which case it needs to be discarded.

Here's the final blade, 6.1mm; 82g flared handle. Off minus to off - I'll find out when I stick some rubbers on and give it a go. Happy to answer any questions and hopefully this is of some use.

Birch blade.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
There is definitely a different feel to blades with hide glue. I think the touch in the short game and close to the table is brilliant but they can lack power further away from the table - but that's just my opinion based on the blades I've made. I am currently working on an inner carbon blade but with hide glue between the medial and top plies to see if I can get the same close to the table feeling but with greater power.

Many top quality hand made classical string instruments use hide glue as it's thought that the sound waves are transmitted more efficiently with less dampening. They also use it as it's reversible so can easily be repaired.
I heard that Nittaku uses the hide glue for Violin and Acoustic blades. Many people say the feel of those two blades are very special due to the hide glue.

I haven't played any of those blades although i would love to.

Passionate about TT

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
From a Chinese forum I learned that the newer inner carbon blades DHS N301 and H301 have a thinner ALC layer than the classic Long V. Yet they use koto as top ply wood for N301 and H301 as compared to limba in Long V. They said because of this N301 and H301 have improved wooden feel (thinner ALC) without compromising speed (hard koto top ply). It could be the new trend in DHS.

I wonder if hide glue would work with hinoki wood as a thick top ply. The magic of hinoki earns a good reputation of Photino and Amultart blades.

Passionate about TT

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There is definitely a different feel to blades with hide glue. I think the touch in the short game and close to the table is brilliant but they can lack power further away from the table - but that's just my opinion based on the blades I've made. I am currently working on an inner carbon blade but with hide glue between the medial and top plies to see if I can get the same close to the table feeling but with greater power.

Many top quality hand made classical string instruments use hide glue as it's thought that the sound waves are transmitted more efficiently with less dampening. They also use it as it's reversible so can easily be repaired.

So, have you tried this new blade yet? Is that what you felt with the blade you just made with the hide glue?

It will be interesting to hear about how the blade with Carbon near the core and hide blue between the top and second plies. Good stuff.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
So, have you tried this new blade yet? Is that what you felt with the blade you just made with the hide glue?

It will be interesting to hear about how the blade with Carbon near the core and hide blue between the top and second plies. Good stuff.

I've made 4 or 5 blades with hide glue now so my thoughts are based on playing with those and feedback I've had from others. My club facility is closed for the Christmas period so I haven't been able to test this new blade yet, although I did get chance to play with a similar composition before I sold it.

I'm just putting the finishing touches to a kiri - aramid carbon - walnut - ash composition with hide glue between the walnut and the ash. It's inspired by Nittaku's Violin but designed to have greater speed and power. In order to compensate for the aramid carbon layer I substituted the ash medial ply for the slightly softer and lighter walnut sheet. It's 5.5mm and 90g. I'm happy with a bounce test but this is a very limited indication of how a blade will actually play. I'll post pictures when complete with feedback on how it plays once it's been tested.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
From a Chinese forum I learned that the newer inner carbon blades DHS N301 and H301 have a thinner ALC layer than the classic Long V. Yet they use koto as top ply wood for N301 and H301 as compared to limba in Long V. They said because of this N301 and H301 have improved wooden feel (thinner ALC) without compromising speed (hard koto top ply). It could be the new trend in DHS.

I wonder if hide glue would work with hinoki wood as a thick top ply. The magic of hinoki earns a good reputation of Photino and Amultart blades.

Passionate about TT

I'd love to be able to get hold of hinoki veneer but unfortunately not. If anyone can signpost me - it would be much appreciated.

I have found that the thickness and weight of the carbon have a huge impact on how a blade plays and feels in the same way as different woods do. A 200 gram per square metre carbon/aramid cloth is approx 2 to 3 times thicker than a 70g per square metre cloth. Also heavier cloths need more glue therefore affecting weight and feel.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Finished blade - ash - walnut - ac - kiri - ac - walnut - ash 5.5mm 90g. Rosewood/basswood/cherry handle. Hide glue used between ash and walnut plies. I'm happy with how this has come out and looking forward to trying it! I'll post some feedback when I get chance for others to try and get their opinion. The AB on the insert are my initials - I print the label and then cover with clear casting resin which means I can add any design I want. It's a tricky process which is quite time-consuming and the smell of the resin is unpleasant. I'm just in the process of adding someone else's initials and someone's family crest to their custom blades!!

ash2 copy.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
A work of art!

Finished blade - ash - walnut - ac - kiri - ac - walnut - ash 5.5mm 90g. Rosewood/basswood/cherry handle. Hide glue used between ash and walnut plies. I'm happy with how this has come out and looking forward to trying it! I'll post some feedback when I get chance for others to try and get their opinion. The AB on the insert are my initials - I print the label and then cover with clear casting resin which means I can add any design I want. It's a tricky process which is quite time-consuming and the smell of the resin is unpleasant. I'm just in the process of adding someone else's initials and someone's family crest to their custom blades!!

View attachment 15098

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
I realized I had some catching up to do when it comes to the creative people on this forum. Apparently there are some more people that also went on a blade making journey (with great results!), which is really nice to see. Ginja, I have been following you since the beginning of your journey and I am really impressed by your creations.

OT now: I find this whole hide glue process pretty fascinating and have a few questions about it:

You wrote that high quality hide glue needs to be used (which makes sense), but I read that higher quality glue gives you an even shorter open time.
How you were able to glue the medial plies to the core, outer plies to medial plies (and that on both sides), put it between the press plates, and then clamp it up before the glue started to cure? Or did you have to do it in more than one step?

I guess it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing to go for slightly lower quality hide glue, considering the bond will be strong enough anyway, right?

Since hide glue contains quite a lot of water, how do you deal with possible curling veneer sheets? I can imagine that this can happen.

I read in another topic that you're going to focus on making guitars, I wish you all the luck. I assume making guitars isn't anything like building blades, but with your perseverance (which we have seen from your blade making journey) you'll get there!

Reactions: Suga D