hybrid rubbers for backhand

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Hello everyone :)

I recently started using ktl pro xt on my backhand because I like the increased dwell time of a soft tacky rubber. Open ups, close to the table loops and third ball attacks are as good as ever but a lot of my passive blocks are now quite vulnerable to counterloops. I know that there are no magic rubbers but is there a chinese/hybrid rubber which has just a little bit more catapult and is not way heavier ? Or should I go hybrid to obtain these characteristics?

I have thought of 3 alternatives for myself in the hybrid category
1)DonicBluegrip S2
2)Tibhar Hybrid MK
3)Butterfly Glayzer 09C

As of now I am leaning towards the bluegrip S2. I would greatly appreciate it if you guys can compare any two (or all three) of these choices in terms of these parameters

1) Spin on serves
2) Spin on loops
3) General feeling of dwell time
4) Catapult and throw angle

Also if there is a chinese rubber that meets the above stated needs - I would be very happy if you let me know its name as well :)

Thanks a lot !

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
a lot of my passive blocks are now quite vulnerable to counterloops. I know that there are no magic rubbers but is there a chinese/hybrid rubber which has just a little bit more catapult
Funny logic . I would think that a rubber with more catapult will give you even less control over your passive blocks. I would try a hard sticky rubber instead.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

I recently started using ktl pro xt on my backhand because I like the increased dwell time of a soft tacky rubber. Open ups, close to the table loops and third ball attacks are as good as ever but a lot of my passive blocks are now quite vulnerable to counterloops. I know that there are no magic rubbers but is there a chinese/hybrid rubber which has just a little bit more catapult and is not way heavier ? Or should I go hybrid to obtain these characteristics?

1)DonicBluegrip S2
2)Tibhar Hybrid MK
3)Butterfly Glayzer 09C

As of now I am leaning towards the bluegrip S2. I would greatly appreciate it if you guys can compare any two (or all three) of these choices in terms of these parameters

1) Spin on serves
2) Spin on loops

Also if there is a chinese rubber that meets the above stated needs - I would be very happy if you let me know its name as well :)

Thanks a lot !

H8-80 37 degree is a real winner. For $25USD its performance is pretty much on par with most ESN rubbers. It's a hybrid rubber.

Another option is TG3-60 37 degree. $20USD and it's slightly faster than H8-80. But I find H8-80 a bit better in control.

1)DonicBluegrip S2
2)Tibhar Hybrid MK
3)Butterfly Glayzer 09C

1) Spin on serves
2) Spin on loops

Thanks a lot !
Tibhar Hybrid MK is very much like an ordinary ESN rubber. A teeny weeny bit tacky and a little bit less catapult. One of my favorite FH rubbers actually.

G09C is a harder and slower than Hybrid MK, and very little catapult. Too slow for a BH rubber imho.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Tibhar Hybrid MK is very much like an ordinary ESN rubber. A teeny weeny bit tacky and a little bit less catapult. One of my favorite FH rubbers actually.

G09C is a harder and slower than Hybrid MK, and very little catapult. Too slow for a BH rubber imho.

Cheers
L-zr
yeah you're right. I boosted my G09c, and it is permanently transformed into something similar to Andro C53

Hybrid MK is a bit slow, but maybe it also reacts well to booster?

Rhyzen ZGR is quite slow rubber but reacts well to booster, and becomes very similar to Dragon Grip.

yeah you're right. I boosted my G09c, and it is permanently transformed into something similar to Andro C53

Hybrid MK is a bit slow, but maybe it also reacts well to booster?

Rhyzen ZGR is quite slow rubber but reacts well to booster, and becomes very similar to Dragon Grip.
I wouldn't try boosting Hybrid MK. Its good as it is a lot faster than any Chinese type rubber. And almost as spinny.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: job59
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
1) Spin on serves
2) Spin on loops
I highly recommend H8-80 boosted.

It has every thing you need and want.

It made me fall in love with it and my backhand is better than ever before.

I am using 38° with 2 layers seamoon.

Unboosted 37 is also Fine but sometimes I dropped it into the net.

Depends on your preference.

Gives you all good parts of a Chinese rubber while still being speedy enough.

Great control in passive and defensive game.

Open up loops, Follow Ups, counters, Rally loops, everything easy, spinny, always arcing downwards, allows you to play confidently and it is fast enough.

Your description Matches my experience very Well.

Price and durability unbeatable.

I got my next sheet incoming for 19 Euros.

Can be a little heavy so try to get a light sheet and not use so much glue.

I use 1 layer glue, 2 layer seamoon, 1 layer glue.

It is on my Outer Alc side but should work for inner as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I highly recommend H8-80 boosted.

It has every thing you need and want.

It made me fall in love with it and my backhand is better than ever before.

I am using 38° with 2 layers seamoon.

Unboosted 37 is also Fine but sometimes I dropped it into the net.

Depends on your preference.

Gives you all good parts of a Chinese rubber while still being speedy enough.

Great control in passive and defensive game.

Open up loops, Follow Ups, counters, Rally loops, everything easy, spinny, always arcing downwards, allows you to play confidently and it is fast enough.

Your description Matches my experience very Well.

Price and durability unbeatable.

I got my next sheet incoming for 19 Euros.

Can be a little heavy so try to get a light sheet and not use so much glue.

I use 1 layer glue, 2 layer seamoon, 1 layer glue.

It is on my Outer Alc side but should work for inner as well.
I just took off H8-80 boosted today.

It was OK, but it never really felt quite right to me. The grip and tackiness was quite good, so I got quite good lift on my loops. But it's a little slow, not much catapult, feels hard to control blocks with. And just in general, I find myself missing a lot of powerful punch backhand shots with it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Have you Tried it on an Outer Alc blade?
Viscaria type structure really makes a big difference for backhand.
When i had the 8 80 on inner blades i had a strange feeling with it as well.
Whenever I didnt Loop or at least made an upwards movement i dropped the ball in the net.
Now I have no such issues.
Can punch, smash Power Loop and all that.
Obviously technique, power, playstyle and all that can differ.
Thats why recommending Equipment like this can go many ways.
Before getting a rubber for 40 euro or more esn type hybrid I would say go for a 20-25 H8 80. My experience with those hybrids Was limited so far but İ feel like they often lack the very high gears when you swing hard and give a lot of Power.

Reactions: TT Lover
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Thank you everyone for your valuable input. I have the possibility to buy a sheet of bluegrip S2 for a super cheap price, so I also wanted to ask also if anyone has any experience with it. I will otherwise go with the hurricane 8 80

mil

This user has no status.

mil

This user has no status.
Nov 2012
Rakza Z might be exactly the right option if you use a very fast carbon blade.

1) Spin on serves YES
2) Spin on loops YES
3) General feeling of dwell time YES
4) Catapult and throw angle - has a high arc and a good catapult for a tacky rubber.

It just is not uncompromising, therefore it is not a very good FH rubber, but for a controlled BH with your criteria, it should be ideal.

This user has no status.
Not sure what to make of this, since hybrid rubbers are designed to have less catapult then bouncy tensor rubbers, so that they have less speed on passive strokes.

When you say your passive block is vulnerable for attacks, my first thought is: passive blocks are always vulnerable for attacks. Especially if you play it right into the opponents forehand (or backhand, depending on their strong side). Then its like saying: "Yeah boy, hit me harder!"

You should work more on sharper placement, active blocking or even countering the attack all together. Hybrid rubbers excel in countering attacks. I have been using Stiga DNA Hybrid M on the backhand for a little over a month now, and I sometimes surprise myself just being able to SMACK back these topspins like Truls Moregard himself.

If you still want to switch to a different rubber, and it has to be one of the 3 you listed then I think the Hybrid MK will be the best one.

mil

This user has no status.

mil

This user has no status.
Nov 2012
MKpro - it is not sticky but is a hybrid - inbetween sticky and ESN rubbers - has the best of both worlds. Thanks to its versatility it is very good both for flat hitting/blocking and spinning and can be played with short strokes but does not mind long strokes - an ideal rubber for BH, not too spin sensitive but can generate good spin, not too bouncy but can be really fast, 51 degrees but does not feel hard...

Reactions: job59