Wait for tackiness to wear off?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I just glued a new sheet of Sanwei Target National onto a blade. I find that with a film sheet on, it is very bouncy, almost like a tensor rubber. But with the film sheet off, it sticks to the rubber and has almost no bounce.

I'm trying to imagine the end result of this rubber, do I need to boost it to get enough speed/rebound? Or will it naturally be bouncy when the tackiness wears off?

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
Clean it really aggressively, then beat it up with several sessions. If it stays tacky then it stays tacky, and if it's not bouncy enough for you then you should boost it, but I'd wait until you have worn it in a little bit

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
@OP, I think your train of thought on this is logical and makes sense. The tackiness helps with keeping the ball short in the short over the table strokes and gives you good spin on brushing loop strokes and the bounciness of the rubber helps when you hit hard enough to overcome the tackiness. Sounds like an absolute win to me if the tackiness is retained over time. If you did not want the tackiness you would be getting some other rubber.

Reactions: blahness
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
@OP, I think your train of thought on this is logical and makes sense. The tackiness helps with keeping the ball short in the short over the table strokes and gives you good spin on brushing loop strokes and the bounciness of the rubber helps when you hit hard enough to overcome the tackiness. Sounds like an absolute win to me if the tackiness is retained over time. If you did not want the tackiness you would be getting some other rubber.
😂
😂 😂 I hear what you are saying and of course you are correct.
But some rubbers can come so tacky that when we do the old "pickup the ball" - trick , the ball
just stays stuck for like 15 seconds or one has to literally shake the ball off the rubber.
That then would be IMO tooooo sticky.

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
Yes, don't boost Stn, after a bit it will break in and turn into an ultra grippy state and then you will have a deadly spin and consistency machine, no booster needed.

Just got Jupiter 3 in, going to try it out soon.

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Yes, don't boost Stn, after a bit it will break in and turn into an ultra grippy state and then you will have a deadly spin and consistency machine, no booster needed.

Just got Jupiter 3 in, going to try it out soon.
have you tried STN? How bouncy will it eventually become?

Does it still benefit from booster? even if it doesn't need it.

Jupiter 3 doesn't need booster, but I think it still benefits.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Well I tried the STN today, its not as dead as i thought it might be. When you hit through, its got somewhat average speed. But its very tacky.

And the biggest thing is that its got a ridiculously low throw angle. You have to make a huge upward change to your stroke. After 5 or 10 minutes my shoulder was hurting.

Also, i was told the sponge is 39 or 40 hardness, but it seems quite a bit softer. When i push down, it seems about the same hardness as R47.

So i think this one might really need booster. Its hurting my arm without it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Over the course of just 1 session, the tackiness decreased a fair amount. The rubber gradually sped up a bit. But it seems like it only fast on hard shots. If you are slightly late or mis-time your shot, it doesn't seem very fast or forgiving.

Also the arc is quite terrible. It has very low throw angle and that makes it feel very weird. It's ok hitting the ball in front of you, but if the ball is slightly behind, it makes it very difficult to hit the ball.

I think I may need to boost this rubber and hope it improves a bit. But the sponge isn't very hard, so I don't know how it will respond to booster.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
I just glued a new sheet of Sanwei Target National onto a blade. I find that with a film sheet on, it is very bouncy, almost like a tensor rubber. But with the film sheet off, it sticks to the rubber and has almost no bounce.

I'm trying to imagine the end result of this rubber, do I need to boost it to get enough speed/rebound? Or will it naturally be bouncy when the tackiness wears off?
what I usually do after gluing new chinese rubber is removing the protective film and leave it out the air overnight, the tackiness will wear off the next day, enough that you can play with it comfortably

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
You have got a bunch of troubles, man. Too much adhesion brings an eternal headache on you. My sincere condolence.
As a general rule, Europeans would prefer rubbers with tempered adhesiveness.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
There is no secret technique to really "breaking through rubber" Just play, do your normal training backhand and forehand counters, smack a few balls into the net maybe, if you play for a few months it will definitely loosen up the rubber and become faster, eg. wont stick to the racket as much. Youll put in little to no effort but somehow you can still control it. This is called gears, and this might be an unpopular opinion but i feel like the tacky rubbers like DHS hurricane 3 gain more control the more you play with them as its unpredictable when its so sticky

• Haha
Reactions: blahness and lodro
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
There is no secret technique to really "breaking through rubber" Just play, do your normal training backhand and forehand counters, smack a few balls into the net maybe, if you play for a few months it will definitely loosen up the rubber and become faster, eg. wont stick to the racket as much. Youll put in little to no effort but somehow you can still control it. This is called gears, and this might be an unpopular opinion but i feel like the tacky rubbers like DHS hurricane 3 gain more control the more you play with them as its unpredictable when its so sticky
why torture yourself ""for a few months"" as you say, when a tiny bit of talcum powder will make the rubber perfectly playable ??
Life is short !!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
Hurting your arm is a bit alarming, I have tried bad rubbers but never something that has hurt my arm.

Give it a several more sessions to get used to, trust me it will break in.

Also it sounds like you need to adjust your technique to use the rubber. Keep a closed bat angle with good brush, but hit through the ball more with good weight transfer and body rotation for more power, that should fix you up.

Don't boost it!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I really regret buying these Sanwei Target rubbers. They are so infuriating to use. The target national seems to have a pretty good bouncy sponge, but maybe the pips structure makes the throw angle absurdly low. Its so difficult to loop against heavy underspin push or chop. Especially when the spin is heavy, and the ball is deep and low, this rubber stands no chance. I cant understand what made this rubber so popular.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
There just happened to be a guy with rakza z there, so i tested his rubber. There is way more arc and spin and way easier to control. Rakza z is closer to jupiter 3.

STN belongs in its own category, its the worst control rubber i have ever seen. Maybe after the tackiness wears off it might be easier to use

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Question, is the heavy tackiness what makes the rubber have such a low throw?

Or is it more innate feature of the rubber due to its pimple structure?
do the talcum powder trick and you will find out.
What have you got to loose, you already hate the bloody thing so do a bit of experimenting.