weirdest blade out?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Mar 2011
Read 3 reviews
Check out this blade. What do you think? I saw it on ebay. Link below

$_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sanwei-NO...ports_TableTennis_RL&var=&hash=item3cda9d8204

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Dude I faced was mid to upper 1800s playing a looping game with a slow-azz 729 Super FX rubber, so it's got to have enough potential at the amature level anyway. I surely would not forget my first official sanctioned match as my opponent clocked me upside my head (figuratively !!) using that thing.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
I've got one of these - the 5 wood 2 carbon version. It's a lot of fun to use, and I often think about using it seriously (meaning local league level). I did have to use it for one match after I broke my main blade, and it was the only spare I had in my bag. Won my matches with it, but it was a mad experience. Things worth noting:

1. The 5w+2c version I have is VERY fast. There is an all-wood one available as well, so that might be more sensible.
  2. The forehand side is awesome. You have a massive range of bat angle adjustment. Brilliant for close-in loop/drive. Was excellent with Skyling TG3, and would probably suit most chinese rubbers.
  3. The backhand side is strange. Coming from shakehand, a big adjustment in technique is needed. It feel a bit like a penholder's RPB stroke. Loop and hit are OK, pushing and chopping feel very awkward. Would need to work on this.
  4. Can be a bit confusing when receiving a ball to the cross-over point. Hard to cover the hip with the backhand side. Best to move and use the forehand for as much as you can. Again, similar to a penholder's game I suppose.
  5. Serving requires a lot of thought. I found it difficult to use most of my current serving options.
  6. Hard to fit rubbers to the blade face. If I'm honest, this is the main thing which stops me using this blade. Regulations say that the rubber logos should be visible, but it's very hard to avoid cutting the logos off the rubber when fitting to the blade. Especially on the backhand side. I don't want to have to pick rubbers based on how they have the logos printed on them!

I do toy with the idea of having a custom blade maker (Ross Leidy?) produce a similar blade. A similar grip layout, but with a regular blade face shape. I think Yasaka had a pistol design like this many years ago, so it's possible to do. And like I said, it's a lot of fun to use!

Reactions: VinceG
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I've got one of these - the 5 wood 2 carbon version. It's a lot of fun to use, and I often think about using it seriously (meaning local league level). I did have to use it for one match after I broke my main blade, and it was the only spare I had in my bag. Won my matches with it, but it was a mad experience. Things worth noting:

1. The 5w+2c version I have is VERY fast. There is an all-wood one available as well, so that might be more sensible.
  2. The forehand side is awesome. You have a massive range of bat angle adjustment. Brilliant for close-in loop/drive. Was excellent with Skyling TG3, and would probably suit most chinese rubbers.
  3. The backhand side is strange. Coming from shakehand, a big adjustment in technique is needed. It feel a bit like a penholder's RPB stroke. Loop and hit are OK, pushing and chopping feel very awkward. Would need to work on this.
  4. Can be a bit confusing when receiving a ball to the cross-over point. Hard to cover the hip with the backhand side. Best to move and use the forehand for as much as you can. Again, similar to a penholder's game I suppose.
  5. Serving requires a lot of thought. I found it difficult to use most of my current serving options.
  6. Hard to fit rubbers to the blade face. If I'm honest, this is the main thing which stops me using this blade. Regulations say that the rubber logos should be visible, but it's very hard to avoid cutting the logos off the rubber when fitting to the blade. Especially on the backhand side. I don't want to have to pick rubbers based on how they have the logos printed on them!
I do toy with the idea of having a custom blade maker (Ross Leidy?) produce a similar blade. A similar grip layout, but with a regular blade face shape. I think Yasaka had a pistol design like this many years ago, so it's possible to do. And like I said, it's a lot of fun to use!

All this makes total sense to me. Very interesting. Great post.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Possibly glue the rubbers sideways? Even though it gives a chance of hitting the logos... Is that legal to glue it that way?
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

My gut feeling is no. The playing surface should be "continuous", although there is a chance of existing shakehand configurations breaking that rule too. This is one of those situations where you could use it in a match, and an umpire could intervene. Or a disgruntled opponent could complain to your league officials (my main worry, personally).

Inspired by this thead, I had a quick 30 minutes with mine last night. It's still a barrel of laughs to use.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
Looks really interesting chaps and I'd love to give it a serious go.

One thing that puzzles me is that my grip is constantly changing: tight/relaxed; soft, gentle rotation around the handle (I used an anatomic as a kid for a few years but a straight one since); different for serving (backhand/forehand), pushing/blocking/looping/smashing and the very, very occasional chop.

Anyone else have have a view on the grip and its constant evolution during each point?