What’s your most satisfying moment in table tennis?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Quite a few candidates, but I keep coming back to this particular match, which was a bet for $50 with my late coach, God bless him, to beat a player higher rated than I was after I made fun of one of his tournament performances which included a match against this player.

This user has no status.
Quite a few candidates, but I keep coming back to this particular match, which was a bet for $50 with my late coach, God bless him, to beat a player higher rated than I was after I made fun of one of his tournament performances which included a match against this player.

you were much younger right ? you look very slim and fit in this video.

BH is very special. The form looks very original to me, but was very effective in this match. the sound of it is very strong.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
you were much younger right ? you look very slim and fit in this video.

BH is very special. The form looks very original to me, but was very effective in this match. the sound of it is very strong.
I was a vegan then, had some good (low weight) and bad (arthritis) side effects. And yes, almost 50-60 lbs lighter than I am now. This was about 10 to 11 years ago. I really should try to lose the weight and I will at some point, but I have learned more towards trying to develop muscle.

Yes, my backhand was developed before my forehand, I could do everything with it, I hadn't developed my loop then, but my backhand was advanced before my forehand became better, it is still more my natural side, if my knees were good, I would be attacking much more serves. Forehand came much later as a result of explicit training after I broke USATT 2200. But this mix of flat and spin was how I used to play before I started trying to spin everything. I really need to get some of it back.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Maybe i'm a simpleton.....but i'm a regular forehand looper, but lately I've been loving it when I can win some points from several well placed backhand blocks. Little effort, but high satisfaction watching my opponent hustle around a lot only to lose the points.
No you are not a simpleton at all, I played like that for years, especially with the old ball. Enjoy it while it lasts, when they get better, the ball comes back with interest because the footwork, the ball quality and the opponent positioning means the blocks have to be higher quality, better placed and more consistent to survive doing that. But it is still a legitimate way to play, especially against an opponent who isn't extremely consistent (lower rated, not very powerful) and is a good strategy to mix in between points if you have the skill.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
No you are not a simpleton at all, I played like that for years, especially with the old ball. Enjoy it while it lasts, when they get better, the ball comes back with interest because the footwork, the ball quality and the opponent positioning means the blocks have to be higher quality, better placed and more consistent to survive doing that. But it is still a legitimate way to play, especially against an opponent who isn't extremely consistent (lower rated, not very powerful) and is a good strategy to mix in between points if you have the skill.
Totally...i'm starting to play guys that are rated 1700+. Sometimes the blocking works, other times not so much. I've seen the pros be effective in their blocking. Obviously not every point. you still need to be able to loop....but damn is a good block so satisfying lol.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
The most memorable for me was playing at the club with hard bats. My opponent was visiting from the Netherlands and was a good guy and a little better than me. My opponent had a hard bat too with illegal rubbers for US hard bat play but I didn't care. My attitude is that the ball doesn't care what hit it or how it was hit after it leaves the paddle.
My opponent mostly chopped and I "looped". You can't really loop with a hard bat but what was happening is that each time we returned the ball, we added more spin to the ball. By the time I hit the ball for the third time it had enough top spin so the ball acted like it was hit with a lot of top spin and the ball would tend to dive due to the Magnus effect like real loop would. We sometimes would hit the ball back and forth 10 times. Eventually we would either screw up and miss or we would reach the limit as to how much spin we could add to the ball. It was fun. I missed him when he went back to the Netherlands.

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
what happens if it is a terrible rubber to use?
Well, it will be later and it will be a completely different story. :)
In fact, frankly bad rubber, which I would buy new, I have not yet met. It may or may not suit my style of play. If it doesn’t fit, then I always have the option of finding a person who will suit it more than me, or in the end give it to the children, from which, again, you experience only positive emotions. So it's a win-win
PS And yes, no one canceled the booster 😂

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Maybe i'm a simpleton.....but i'm a regular forehand looper, but lately I've been loving it when I can win some points from several well placed backhand blocks. Little effort, but high satisfaction watching my opponent hustle around a lot only to lose the points.
It's very simple - you grow up or you're getting old ;)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The most satisfying moment is buying and using every H3 variant, boosting them, then talking about it on the TT forums every day every week, no matter how many threads have been started on the subject.

Well, anyone reading the forums would think 98% of the people on the forums feel that way :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023

What’s your most satisfying moment in table tennis?​

Actually I've had 2 very satisfying moments that were almost identical to each other...
Many years ago, while still in hi school, I typically played as a 2-3 seed in regional tournaments. One day in gym class, I was lounging around watching the local basement players play on the school table. They barely knew how to hold a paddle. One guy was much better than the others (he knew how to put a tiny spin on the ball) and was beating everyone easily and running his mouth like the idiot he was. A guy who was sitting next to me said "wow, he's Good" to which I causally replied "all he's doing is putting some underspin on the ball".
"Do you think you could beat him?"
"well, yeah...."
"HEY [idiot], THIS GUY SAYS HE CAN BEAT YOU"
at which point the loudmouth starts in on me. Finally, I've listened to enough, get up, and embarrass the crap out of him making him look silly with spins no one sees.

A couple of years later at a summer job in my town's Rec Dept, same thing happens. This time when I get up, the idiot realizes he's never seen me play (and dayum dont he look confident), and starts mouthing how we have to play for paychecks- trying to scare me. I just said "I dont want your money, just your pride" and made him look silly as well.

Despite everyone clammoring to play me after those wins, I never played anyone at either place tho I did offer to teach anyone interested how to properly play.

Reactions: JJ Ng and ben1229
I actually have 2.
A very, very long time ago we had the chance to play 3 official matches against Jean-Michel Saive. I was only able to win the first of them.:giggle: He was then 9 years old I, 19. I had been playing table tennis for just under 3 years. The next season they lost 2 times.
My last satisfying moment dates back to October 2020. My very last competition game so far. Then Corona started. That evening, our team drew 8-8 against a team that was much stronger than us on paper. I had the lowest ranking of the 8 players, yet I won against all 4 players with a ranking that was 2 rankings higher.
Unfortunately, the competition has been shut down for 2 seasons and we have also moved abroad in the meantime.