What do you call this?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Looks like a game style he developed himself, as this style is not normally trained by a coach.
Huh?It's a pretty common LP penhold style. In fact, that's really the only style I see LP penholders play.

Here's a video on Fang Bo's channel with him demonstrating some strategies against such a player. His opponent is a former CNT 1st team member, Zhou Xintong, who I'm sure had a lot of coaching and is coaching herself.

Here's a video of her doing the coaching:

And here's a video of her during her playing days:

Reactions: NextLevel
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Arguably our metro area (Sacramento) best player plays this style (JZ of Folsom TT) he just won a pile of medals at 2023 US Open.

JZ uses OX LP on BH on a shakehand bat with short pips FH. He takes the ball off the bounce with great touch and troubles many players... these players rarely make more than 1-2 consecutive attacks land on the table. he is very efficient, does not have to move except a step around FH on a high slow ball. He is in his 60s retired engineer.

There is another 60s Chinese gent he plays like this LP both sides and LP pick hits loose balls, prolly 1800+ Cali level at his age.

JZ is 2100+ level and makes many inverted attacking players his level feel awkward. This is a viable play style and not new under the sun.

Reactions: NextLevel
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021

I just noticed this unusual style. What is this? It loops like Long pips, but he does a lot of crazy stuff.

He blocks, he chop blocks, he punches, and even smashes a bit.

A real nightmare to deal with.
This style is called 'That's it! I'm gonna play Pickleball! "

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Huh?It's a pretty common LP penhold style. In fact, that's really the only style I see LP penholders play.

huh + 1, lol
This style been around for decades
Maybe even before I was born
Just ask the famous granny what age she started this style, then answer is there

CP SP
CP LP Twiddle
CP RPB
case close

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
It used to be a very common style in East Asia up until the 90s.

王秋伊/Wang Qiuyi (Zhang Yining's sparring partner) vs Wong Chun Ting

齊寶華/Chai Bo Wah (former HKG player from mainland China) vs Yang Mengting

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Arguably our metro area (Sacramento) best player plays this style (JZ of Folsom TT) he just won a pile of medals at 2023 US Open.

JZ uses OX LP on BH on a shakehand bat with short pips FH. He takes the ball off the bounce with great touch and troubles many players... these players rarely make more than 1-2 consecutive attacks land on the table. he is very efficient, does not have to move except a step around FH on a high slow ball. He is in his 60s retired engineer.

There is another 60s Chinese gent he plays like this LP both sides and LP pick hits loose balls, prolly 1800+ Cali level at his age.

JZ is 2100+ level and makes many inverted attacking players his level feel awkward. This is a viable play style and not new under the sun.
It seems like this style is better suited for penhold, right? That way you can use the same LP from both sides, and you can kinda punch-block easily

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022

Here's a video on Fang Bo's channel with him demonstrating some strategies against such a player. His opponent is a former CNT 1st team member, Zhou Xintong, who I'm sure had a lot of coaching and is coaching herself.

Here's a video of her doing the coaching:

And here's a video of her during her playing days:
didn’t she use pips on both sides?

This user has no status.
It seems like this style is better suited for penhold, right? That way you can use the same LP from both sides, and you can kinda punch-block easily
Yes imo one of the strongest styles on the amateur circuit is the inverted/LP twiddling penholder. You already have the penhold inverted nasty serves and strong short game + they're almost immune to good serves due to the LP + no middle weakness + on their BH side they can do all the TPB variations as well as introduce the RPB LP variations (sideswipe attack, chopblock, etc...), and not to mention the strong af penhold inverted FH (a traditional strength) to punish any loose balls and even stuff that goes into their FH.

imo this is one of the ultimate styles to play.