What equipment should I buy (blade/rubbers)?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
Hi everyone,

I would like to make my first custom bat so after six years of playing with pre-made bats I am looking for an optimal blade and rubbers.
Although this will be an exciting and important move relative to my improvement I want to choose the best possible equipment from the available brands and types (my options are limited because there isn't many products in the country).
I have been playing for six, almost seven years now and usually play 12-16 hours every week. I play it as a hobby, however, I participate in some local tournaments so, besides every deficiency, I think I have a solid playing style with steady and accurate (as a nonprofessional) looping both on the forehand and backhand side (of course still miles even from professional level) and above average block (better on the backhand) and serve. I try to take every opportunity to attack or counter-attack (looping and not smashing or flat hitting) and be as aggressive and quick as I can. Usually I am the first who launch the attack so my biggest weakness isn't speed or spin but control. For me, speed and spin are almost equally important but I would rate spin just a tenth higher.
If you don't mind I have three questions: a) I should buy different rubbers on the backhand and forehand side, right?; b) How long should the rubbers and the blade last?; c) Should I buy different rubbers over time or buy the same again and again?
And the big debate...
What should I choose? I am asking you, experienced players, who have been playing with custom bats for a long time and tried many different products.
I tried to narrow the options by some stats and reviews. I don't have the chance to test any of products so I appreciate any help and advice. These are the rubbers from which I should choose two (forehand and backhand side):
- Joola Rhyzm-P
- JoolaMaxxx-P
- JoolaMaxxx 500
- Donic Baracuda
- Tibhar Evolution MX-P
- Tibhar Evolution MX-S
- Yasaka Mark V HPS
- Yasaka Rakza 9
- Yasaka Rakza 7
- Victas VS>402 Double Extra
- Victas V>01 Stiff
- Victas V>01 Limber
- Victas V>15 Extra
- Cornilleau TargetUltim 47.5
- Cornilleau Target Sound 37.5

And these are the possible options for the blade:
- TSP Trinity Carbon
- TSP Reflex 50 Award OFF
- TSP Black Balsa 7.0
- TSP Balsa 6.5 mm OFF/Fitter
- Tibhar Stratus Power Wood
- Tibhar Samsonov Carbon SGS
- Joola Falcon Fast +
- Joola Flame Extreme
- Joola Spirit All+
- Yasaka Advance 3D
- Yasaka Extra Offensive 7 Power
- Yasaka Goiabao 5
- Yasaka Silverline All Wood
- Yasaka Silverline Carbon
- Yasaka Sweden Extra

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Probably not what you want to hear, but get some slower rubbers and work your way up. I don't know your level but premades and some of the rubber/blades you listed are night and day. I would suggest the Sweden extra and a pair of regular mark V rubbers on both sides. Play the rubbers for a year, and then upgrade rubbers only. As you keep improving, you can choose to upgrade rubbers and/or blade. The blade should last you many years as long as you don't abuse it. Rubbers depend on your play style, but I've seen people play mark V for well over a year despite frequent play. Just keep playing until you feel like upgrading or you wear them out. Former will likely happen first :p best wishes!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
In general the blade itself can last 10 years and many more, no need to worry about that.
I play around 8-10 hours per week and usually change my rubbers at least every 6 months, sometimes 4 depending how used they are.

For "hobby" players you probably don't need to change them too often because the changes are more noticeable the higher your level is. There are some differences in the durability of rubbers, Tenergy are usually said to not last very long for example.

If you have access to Tibhar rubbers I can recommend you Tibhar Aurus Soft, it has a lot of control and feeling while being quite cheap and durable (I used it on backhand until recently and I play table tennis in a club for most of my life).

Most of the rubbers you have mentioned are really really fast, I recommend going for something with more control.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
a) doesnt matter, you can choose whatever u like. if u train/playing without coach (just for fun) you can pick the same rubbers for both sides.
b) it depends how you use them. if u have a bag and plastic cover and you clean them with sponge+water after every session, they ll last for year i guess or even longer
c) emm... buy whatever you want ^^ if u r comfortable with something, why change it ..

about the list you posted.. i dont think someone can say GET that or go for this blade/rubber. its all personal.. but my advise is get soft and slower rubber, maybe something like donic vario or tibhar rapid, or maybe acuda s3, xiom vega europe (1.8-2.0). And 5 pply wood (no composite,ar+/off-) would be the best choice

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
Probably not what you want to hear, but get some slower rubbers and work your way up. I don't know your level but premades and some of the rubber/blades you listed are night and day. I would suggest the Sweden extra and a pair of regular mark V rubbers on both sides. Play the rubbers for a year, and then upgrade rubbers only. As you keep improving, you can choose to upgrade rubbers and/or blade. The blade should last you many years as long as you don't abuse it. Rubbers depend on your play style, but I've seen people play mark V for well over a year despite frequent play. Just keep playing until you feel like upgrading or you wear them out. Former will likely happen first :p best wishes!

I completly agree with watcher, start with all wood blade like Yasaka Sweden Extra, and my recommendation are softer rubbers Victas V>01 Limber in 1.8 mm probably should be the best from begining.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Read 1 reviews
From you listed above, yasaka sweden extra is good blade overall, it can really help to improve your technique by high control and feel. And also has a potential to gave power to win. For the rubbers rakza 7 is a still good one even in plastic ball era. Spin, speed, control balanced. Hardness, bounce amount, throw angle is avarage. So to start and go forward it looks good option. After that you may alter rubber for your taste and need.

This user has no status.
I totally agree with above.I have played with mark V for almost 3 year and then sudden changed to T05 ,what a mistake so I have choosen xiom omega asia V and donic baracuda still struggling cause it doesnot give feel ad power like T05 and offcourse T05 is little bit ot uncontrollable

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk