What is Table Tennis England Doing?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Tom, I really don’t mean this as an insult but you clearly don’t run a club your self.

Speak to anyone involved in running a decent club with any players at a ok National standard and they will tell you that’s what is simple placed on the website is not followed through and certain clubs and coaches get whatever they want regardless of what is set out on the website and paperwork.

The performance pathway isn’t followed by any means with the England number 2 junior not selected for a single international event this year and maybe longer yet he has signed and followed the guidelines and repeatedly over looked. Including being overlooked for a player who was born overseas till they were 15 to two non English parents moves to England and within a few months has a British passport.

Following on from Max’s comment performance staff not at events to see talented players an example is a kid who in March didn’t have a ranking now is top 10 in his age group NOT good enough for a trial at the 10-13 England squad ! Work that out?

Not to mentioned as before the TDCs or national talent centres
saw lots of investment for very little return. With again huge investment at Ackworth on 5 players when Grantham academy has more players including the top juniors getting nothing

I honestly don’t believe that Table Tennis England are currently doing anything to develop Table Tennis there keeping a float and hoping this governance review will help thing change but honestly nothing is different only re packaged

BE-TT the new project. Seriously !! If developing clubs and leagues needs a new fancy project what has been happening for the past number of years.

Where other than a list of very simple questions and answer and a list of funding opportunities ( which is very outdated) is any investment in the club guidance ?

I have as mentioned previously engaged in several conversations about the issues and when they bother to reply the skirt around the issues or very professionally blame another staff member.

I know it’s negative I don’t want it to be but there’s so much secrecy and PR Spin it’s no wonder so many people can’t connect with the NGB as what they say and what they do don’t add up

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
I agree with so much that you say Logicalthinking. Tom clearly does not see the issues you mention for himself.
You mention Grantham in your post who are doing a great job... albeit they have found a great recipe that is attracting students from all over the country gaining a large number of extra students premium funding so self generating funding for coaches with nothing from TTE.
If I am not wrong quite a few actually left Ackworth to go to Grantham and I hear more are on there way.
Why have all the staff at Milton Keynes ? Surely there are lots of people around the country with an infinitely greater understanding of the workings of the sport ie rankings who would gladly work part time to input results... net effect lower staff overheads... no need for the massive overhead at TTE head office and a more efficient system.
As for who to speak to about issues at TTE there begs the question .... as there is nobody at head Office who can answer the query no matter how trivial.
One day I called 9 times and the call was not even answered. It felt like the Mari Celest !
As for conflicts of interest it should be eradicated completely from the NGB.
It’s a disgrace!!

And let’s the figures ..... how much is TTE losing or making from the events which are run ??

Transparency is needed across the board run with staff who are diligent and actually know what they are doing and not simply ticking boxes for an ever larger CV.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Logicalthinking and Maxine - you clearly have specific grievances with TTE and you portray a very negative picture of how the organisation operates. I just don't share your negative feelings. I have been involved with local league table tennis in London and Cambridge for 10+ years and to me TTE genuinely seems to be moving in the right direction.

I think we will have to agree to disagree. I don't think either of us has any chance of persuading the other!

I hope you get some of your issues resolved. It has been fun debating with you.