What size edge tape and where to get?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
My racket is a Yasaka Ma lin Extra offensive with Xiom vega europe rubbers on both sides with a thickness of 2.0. What size edge tape would i get that covers the racket? Currently, i have 9mm edge tape however, it is not covering the whole bat like it is suppose too. Do i get 10mm edge tape or 12mm? Also, i like the looks of the xiom 12mm edge tape but, i do not know where to get it? Does anyone know where to get it online?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
6mm edge tape, you should only cover until the area of the sponge not the entire rubber allowing the pores to breath as you constantly hit the ball. I personally dont use any sidetape.. its just a matter of calculating your spin and deciding wether to hit or not to hit the ball with a piece of the table hehehe

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
12mm Xiom edge tape is also available here :- http://www.customtabletennis.co.uk/XIOM-12mm-Bat-Edge-Tape-5m-Roll-p-16900.html
although I don't know if they will ship to the USA - might be disproportionately expensive for a small item too.

Don't forget you can take edge tape off again, so if you want to try 12mm - which is what you'll need to cover the whole width of the rubbers, and then only if your blade is a reasonably thin one - just do it. You'll soon know if it's not for you. I have a thick balsa racket as my backup, 12mm edge tape on that barely covers the sponge never mind the whole of the edge of the rubbers !!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
12mm may be a little too thick for your blade + rubber combindation.

I think 10mm will be the safest

BTW, I must disagree with you - who said that the tape must cover everything - like it suppose to?

You get tape that only cover wood, tape that only cover wood + sponge, then tape to cover wood + sponge + rubber, then you get no tape - like me :)

Reactions: Rajah*
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
12mm may be a little too thick for your blade + rubber combindation.

I think 10mm will be the safest

BTW, I must disagree with you - who said that the tape must cover everything - like it suppose to?

You get tape that only cover wood, tape that only cover wood + sponge, then tape to cover wood + sponge + rubber, then you get no tape - like me :)

Hi Tony. When looking at some peoples racket, i saw that the edge tape covered the whole side the racket, meaning the wood part of the blade and sponge. I thought all rackets were suppose to be like that but, then i saw some peoples bats were and the tape only covered the wood part.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hi Tony. When looking at some peoples racket, i saw that the edge tape covered the whole side the racket, meaning the wood part of the blade and sponge. I thought all rackets were suppose to be like that but, then i saw some peoples bats were and the tape only covered the wood part.

Yeah,
There is no rule for this.

In fact, the only benefit for edgetape is to protect the rubber from physical contact (ie table), other than that, I can't think of anything else.
I know some choppers (higher chance of physical contact) has thicker edge tape, it is like padded.

But note, all edge tape add weight to the setup.
Some "pros" do it as it is marketing for the sponsor. Many pros don't put edge tape (as it is hassle)

For my customers, I don't mind putting edge tape on, but I think 12mm may over throw your blade plus 2 rubbers. I'm saying from experience as I sell both the blade and rubbers (in fact i'm also using that blade too :) )

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
A bit of basic maths, guys. If you have a 2.0 or a Max sponge then the total thickness of each rubber is going to be around 4 mm. I haven't come across a blade that is less than 4mm thick - not sure I'd want to either - and many (most ??) of them seem to be 5-6mm with some few being considerably thicker. Anyway two sheets of rubber on a 5mm blade will take you up to a 12mm edge tape, however if you only want to cover the sponge rather than the whole width then you'd be better off with 9mm or 10mm edge tape. Hence my advice of "suck it and see."

In the UK at least I've only seen edge tape available in 9mm and 12mm widths. I think I did once see 15mm tape on a non-UK site but I can't find it now ! As for the Pros, well if I were changing my rubbers every couple of days I wouldn't bother with tape and if I wasn't paying for them either then I wouldn't care what I did to them !

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
In one haz the ca$h or is sponsored very well, then Damn the Torpedos, full speed ahead. Change out Ur rubberz moar often. 12 mm tape is just the right size for this dude. Covers the blade edge, the sponge, and just enough of the pips to slow down the gassing out and still make the bat look moar professional.

I agree though, if I had unlimited budget or stuff tossed at me every week, it wouldn't matter.

My racket is a Yasaka Ma lin Extra offensive with Xiom vega europe rubbers on both sides with a thickness of 2.0. What size edge tape would i get that covers the racket? Currently, i have 9mm edge tape however, it is not covering the whole bat like it is suppose too. Do i get 10mm edge tape or 12mm? Also, i like the looks of the xiom 12mm edge tape but, i do not know where to get it? Does anyone know where to get it online?

Yasaka Ma lin Extra offensive : 6.0mm, both of your rubbers 2.0mm = just go for 10mm edge tape..
you're looking for xiom.
http://www.presports.com/13-edge-tapes

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
Ditto the comment about doing a little math.

The edge table doesn't need to come from a TT source. It may be cheaper to buy tape from a hardware store. It just won't look as good or have a TT logo on it.

Some TT distributors like fastpaddle provide or sell padded edge tape. It isn't that wide. I use these edge tapes on my thinner looping and chopping paddles. I have two Firewall Plus paddles. I use fiberglass reinforced tape to protect the balsa wood. I don't see much point in using edge tape unless it can protect the edge of the blade. Some people simply do without and cut their rubber just a little bigger than the blade to protect the blade.