Which Table Tennis Player Inspires your Style of play?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I personally would say Wang Liqin and Ma Long for technique, because both of their techniques are probably the best for Shakehand in the world. ZJK has a great BH, but his technique is pretty boring to watch. I feel that Ma and WLQ have the most entertaining shots. ZJK has a more explosive style so it's really hard to enjoy.

But on a professional note, a lot of comments here are about copying this and that, but that's really the wrong way to look at it. Watching someone do something and trying to mimic it as best you can is terrible for your technique. Without a proper understanding of physics and body mechanics it's very hard to copy the proper techniques and causes very bad habits. For instance Timo's forehand is very bad to copy and unless you understand what he's doing typically your technique will produce very bad habits that opponents can take advantage of. Timo has great timing and footwork which allows to loop with his more comfortable style (i.e. near his hip-elbow)

This shot is a very bad thing to copy unless you understand exactly what he's doing. Because his timing and footwork allow him to get to the ball and because he is a lefty it provides the necessary tactics involved for winning the points. The technique itself is poor because he learned to hit that way from personal training. As he didn't have a great system in his earlier years it was too late by the time someone noticed and tried to correct it. Take into account that many of his coaches also would have an inferior complex as he was beating everyone in Europe so to say that he needed to correct something would have been hard to say.

I'm glad to say though that his current practice in China seems to be doing some great things for him because if he can develop that Chinese forehand loop as a lefty player and because he already knows how to hit near his elbow his forehand will no longer be attackable. His backhand is fairly good as is, but take into account his Chinese style footwork and he can just step around if need be. I really think we're just getting started with his career if he continues down this path of correcting his technique.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
The player who inspires me the most without a doubt is Wang Liqin, but as for technique I like to adapt a little bit of everything. For Cpen I really like Ma Lin's services and one of Wang Hao's. The forehand I try to use most often is Wang Hao's, but the flips are Ma Lin's. The traditional block is something I'm trying to get down atm and that would of course be Ma Lin's, but for the RPB I prefer Wang Hao's unless the ball is too wide then Ma's tends to be better. I do however have my paddle Cpen paddle with Skyline 2 and Outlaw on the backhand more of a Ma Lin set up. I also have the blade cut and sanded how he prefers it.

For Shakehand I love WLQ's forehand and his service. The reverse pendulum I prefer to use are mostly ZJK or Kong's. Unless it's a speed service then there's nothing better than Werner Schlager's reverse speed service. I prefer Ma Long's BH Loop but ZJK's blocking ability. Also Ma Long's footwork is the standard right now. For service again there are so many that I pick and choose from. A little from everyone depending on who I play. The goal atm though is to lose some of the weight I've gained from College and get back into shape so I can move faster.

This user has no status.
But on a professional note, a lot of comments here are about copying this and that, but that's really the wrong way to look at it. Watching someone do something and trying to mimic it as best you can is terrible for your technique. Without a proper understanding of physics and body mechanics it's very hard to copy the proper techniques and causes very bad habits. For instance Timo's forehand is very bad to copy and unless you understand what he's doing typically your technique will produce very bad habits that opponents can take advantage of. Timo has great timing and footwork which allows to loop with his more comfortable style (i.e. near his hip-elbow)

This shot is a very bad thing to copy unless you understand exactly what he's doing. Because his timing and footwork allow him to get to the ball and because he is a lefty it provides the necessary tactics involved for winning the points. The technique itself is poor because he learned to hit that way from personal training. As he didn't have a great system in his earlier years it was too late by the time someone noticed and tried to correct it. Take into account that many of his coaches also would have an inferior complex as he was beating everyone in Europe so to say that he needed to correct something would have been hard to say.

I'm glad to say though that his current practice in China seems to be doing some great things for him because if he can develop that Chinese forehand loop as a lefty player and because he already knows how to hit near his elbow his forehand will no longer be attackable. His backhand is fairly good as is, but take into account his Chinese style footwork and he can just step around if need be. I really think we're just getting started with his career if he continues down this path of correcting his technique.

I think Timo's FH is his asset, nobody else except for Ma Lin/ZJK has enough control to counterloop that close to the table. I think his FH is very strong, and he doesn't lose a lot of points when he opens up with his FH. However, he does focus more on speed(I mean recovery and reaction time) and spin, rather than power like the Chinese. IMO I think he uses his BH a bit too much, and his BH loop, especially against underspin is not too good, gets counterlooped easily too often.

This user has no status.
I love ZJK's technique and he inspired me with his playing style. So powerful and yet so much control and stability! I especially love the way he control blocks his opponents to their demise (Even Wang Hao struggled to blast balls past him and made lots of mistakes attacking). I also like his way of loading up balls with so much spin that the other player cannot control it, it is such a beauty to see him loading spin bombs during the World Championships and World Cup.

says Hello guys!!! :) Im new here. I would be happy if...
says Hello guys!!! :) Im new here. I would be happy if...
Jan 2012
Normaly Timo Boll, Ma Long, Hao Shuai,Werner Schlager and Jun Mizutani, Michael Maze :) I like Timo cuz his footwork is great+Talent Like me+Lefthander like me ! :) Hao Shuai: I acualy have his style of play. :p Werner Schlager:I have his syle of play xD Jun Mizutani : I Got his serve movement, Michael Maze : If im lobbing sometimes, im waiting for nice ball and then spiny sidespin :) or normal BH spin. Ma Long: I got his FH and BH power drives when im on the ball. Alot of time 3rd attack. I dont wanna forgot Tokič and Karakasevic : Both of them have nice BH's like me ! :) hehe :D