Who was the 1st player to use boosters?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
We know that Yasaka experimented and patented it: https://patents.google.com/patent/JP2008049094A/en
Patent application in 2006 by Takashi Yaoita and Eiji Kamei.
Hirosi Yaoita, one of Yasaka’s founders, played table tennis. So presumably his son Takashi Yaoita (still Yasaka's president) also played/plays table tennis.
This patent cites an older patent (application) from Juic by Shioda Katsuhiko https://www.j-platpat.inpit.go.jp/c...75544C842D349B05894E15CBD32CB0AA06BC8EE/11/en
"As such an adhesion method, for example, Japanese Patent Application Laid-Open No. 2006-51328 discloses a method using an adhesion aid mainly composed of vegetable oil or mineral oil. According to this adhesion aid, the permeated rubber can be swollen and softened."
Maybe Shioda Katsuhiko from Juic also played/plays table tennis...
(more or less copied from my old post https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/topics/is-baby-oil-a-effective-booster.26408/)
But the fact that mineral oil is a swelling agent for (natural) rubber was known long before these patents.
Chances are high that someone tried this way before these two patents.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Speak of the Devil, and he will pop up. Same is me in person. 👺

Poverty is told to be mother of invention. Mr. Laurent Berenger, Belgian business man., was the first to widely market liquid oily compounds under Falcon label, since around 2008. He is an established member manufacturer for FIT international association.

Be happy.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: IB66 and lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
I’ve read about speed glue and the Yugoslavian player, Dragutin Surbek using bicycle glue, to glue rubbers and then start the speed glue era.

But who is responsible for using boosters, when and how??
The bicycle glue is correct, but it was Tibor Klampar of Hungary who first used it. Surbek also used it once the secret came out.

Reactions: Kolev and IB66
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
We know that Yasaka experimented and patented it: https://patents.google.com/patent/JP2008049094A/en
Patent application in 2006 by Takashi Yaoita and Eiji Kamei.
Hirosi Yaoita, one of Yasaka’s founders, played table tennis. So presumably his son Takashi Yaoita (still Yasaka's president) also played/plays table tennis.
This patent cites an older patent (application) from Juic by Shioda Katsuhiko https://www.j-platpat.inpit.go.jp/c...75544C842D349B05894E15CBD32CB0AA06BC8EE/11/en
"As such an adhesion method, for example, Japanese Patent Application Laid-Open No. 2006-51328 discloses a method using an adhesion aid mainly composed of vegetable oil or mineral oil. According to this adhesion aid, the permeated rubber can be swollen and softened."
Maybe Shioda Katsuhiko from Juic also played/plays table tennis...
(more or less copied from my old post https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/topics/is-baby-oil-a-effective-booster.26408/)
But the fact that mineral oil is a swelling agent for (natural) rubber was known long before these patents.
Chances are high that someone tried this way before these two patents.
i agree it is too difficult to say "who started it"

even the patent holder didn't start it, surely someone within the company was earlier than the boss (patent application owner).

having said that, people have been tweaking rubbers since way before I was even born.
only different now is, people don't really talk about it in the world top 100, but there are a majority that tweaks and a minority that doesn't and people know that "most people" do it.
The manufacturer tweaking is another story too, and if you incorporate that, I'm not sure who isn't using tweaked rubbers. (except for Igor, but he ain't a pro).

Even Dima's stretching his rubber with "brute force" while gluing, is "tweaking too".

I recall using this Yasaka's 1st VOC Free glue before.
Took 1 week to "dry"..... lol
Longer than any booster I know of

Last edited:
Reactions: IB66 and ttarc
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
A wise man word is silver🥈 and @ igorponger's word is gold.🥇

-YI2_VSFpZ4.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: IB66
says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
Jan 2013
I remember someone from the ITTF said (possible Adham Sharara) in response to a question about what players would do after the glue ban, they said that manufacturers would find an alternative to speed glue, one that would pose no health risk. Well, they did, and what did the ITTF do? They banned that as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I remember someone from the ITTF said (possible Adham Sharara) in response to a question about what players would do after the glue ban, they said that manufacturers would find an alternative to speed glue, one that would pose no health risk. Well, they did, and what did the ITTF do? They banned that as well.

Under UN sustainability / 2050 vision and Olympics mission, speed glue had to go, or risk table tennis getting kicked out of the OG.
So they made it "safe" for players.
I find the banning of speed glue valid, since there are higher bodies that require it.

Now... booster ban... there isn't logic other than "players having some fun tweaking equipment"

Jan 2013
Yes I agree completely, speed glue was definitely a health issue and had to go... of course it had been a health issue for decades already, while they turned a blind eye.

Regarding boosters. I agree as well. There's no evidence it causes any health issues (most ingredients are common household goods), and since factory boosting and individual boosting are indistinguishable (one being legal, the other not), it's pretty pointless spending time and effort trying to ban it. Comparing it to 'doping' in other sports is beyond rediculous. Anyway. I digress...

Last edited:
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
An immortal biblical saying to best become to this chapter.
--“For nothing is hidden that shall not become evident, nor anything secret that shall not be known and come to light."

ITTF President Adham Sharara speaking on the Speed Glue Ban. Why and How.

— [id55737130|@The] President’s Views on the Ban of Speed Glue, Part II

— [id55737130|@The] President’s Views on the Ban of Speed Glue, Part I

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yes I agree completely, speed glue was definitely a health issue and had to go... of course it had been a health issue for decades already, while they turned a blind eye.

Regarding boosters. I agree as well. There's no evidence it causes any health issues (most ingredients are common household goods), and since factory boosting and individual boosting are indistinguishable (one being legal, the other not), it's pretty pointless spending time and effort trying to ban it. Comparing it to 'doping' in other sports is beyond rediculous. Anyway. I digress...
yeah, but you know, igor will have a sad life then

Back to serious stuff, there are lots of things that require energy and focus.
Just make boosting legal, and within VOC free regulations + thickness (so it is all controllable) and fix camera angles, prize money, look at the "replacement for wood" for blades that they need to do very soon (UN sustainability requirements) and so much more.
Booster is so last decade topic, the whole world has moved on already (except igor)

Last edited:
  • Love