Why is Zhang Jike getting injured so often?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
I'm not too worry about Zhang Jike because i saw his match against Xu Xin right now. He was clearly not injured and was playing like a beast.
I'm worry because he withdraws from World Cup saying he is injured but he is not!

This possibility exists, but you can never draw a absolute conclusion. Yan An is the only person who has qualification to replace ZJK. It's more likely that XX will be the lucky dog. What I'm saying above is to talk about a general situation, not this time. It's a fact that ZJK get injured more often. One reason is his personal habit, the other is his playing style.

Two guesses here:
1. Zjk is punished by CNT for his bad performance on National Games. XX needs a world title, at least a chance. But chance can also be a trap. XX and Yan An are definitely not feeling easy, because it is survival or death battle, especially XX, at least they don't have capitals to lost to foreign players.

2. Zjk's injuries is not so serious but is a time bomb. The game against Shanghai, Shandong has to win or else Shandong will miss the second stage, That's also a reason you can see the beast ZJK. The name list won't change, so I hope he can use this period of time to cure his injury and adjust himself to best. Next year he will have another chance.

Frankly speaking almost every TT player undergoes through such a situation. Talents are much more than chances, so a tendency that World Cup being welfare for recent underdog is not surprising:

Ma Long took 2012 World Cup because he didn't play Olympic's singles.
Liu Shiwen missed 2012 Olympic but was given the chance of World Cup that year.
Li Xiaoxia's 2008 Olympic was taken over by Wang Nan but had a chance to compete with Guo Yue for World Cup title.
(Of course there's also a consideration for non-Olympian players to join in World Cup because they have better conditions.)

Zhang Jike replaced Ma Long to play the 2010 World Cup, though Ma Long had a good performance on Asia-Europe contest days earlier, which wouldn't offset Ma Long's downturn for months that period of time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Difference in personal choices and lifestyle shouldn't have anything to do with his injuries. You work hard, play hard, and train hard...that's how he got to where he is today. Injuries happens to everyone and it's something that cannot be avoided no mater how healthy you are. It's part of being a professional athlete.

I love that he has tattoos because he is expressing himself and showing people that you should have freedom and choices you ca make for yourself. Don't let society or government take that freedom away.

The story of ZJK is that, no big matches, no guarantee of systematic training. And he never take recovery exercises seriously after high-intensity training, and he doesn't like strength training, exposing himself under uncomfortable environment. Playing style is also a reason.

I'm not saying something of freedom or individuality. Tattooing is small example. A singer is supposed toprotect his throat if he wants to stay on the stage. I hope he can fulfill his second grand-slam goal. One day he won't play TT it's ok for him to do whatever he like.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
He has a tattoo on his right arm?? Since when? Never knew that.
d8545785jw1e8873htolrj20hs0dajsy.jpg

Reactions: Ben Larcombe
says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Two guesses here:
1. Zjk is punished by CNT for his bad performance on National Games. XX needs a world title, at least a chance. But chance can also be a trap. XX and Yan An are definitely not feeling easy, because it is survival or death battle, especially XX, at least they don't have capitals to lost to foreign players.
I don't think he is punished because of his performance in China National Games because he was REALLY injured.
I sill can't understand why he withdraws from World Cup BEFORE playing in the 17 round of super league. He was clearly not injured in his matches there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
I don't think he is punished because of his performance in China National Games because he was REALLY injured.
I sill can't understand why he withdraws from World Cup BEFORE playing in the 17 round of super league. He was clearly not injured in his matches there.
Then think about the guess no.2. ZJK having injuries is obvious fact, the problem is how serious his injuries are, and whether his condition is competent for World Cup.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Then think about the guess no.2. ZJK having injuries is obvious fact, the problem is how serious his injuries are, and whether his condition is competent for World Cup.
But it's still not the answer of this question: Why he withdraws form World Cup BEFORE playing in super league against Shang Kun and Xu Xin.
We will see how he will play in the last round of Super League or if he even plays.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
But it's still not the answer of this question: Why he withdraws form World Cup BEFORE playing in super league against Shang Kun and Xu Xin.
The men team of Shandong has only one top-class player, unlike Women team of Shandong. Fangbo's injury is more serious than him. He needs to attend a game of vital importance and play it well, besides he didn't fulfill the mission on the National Games. Li Xiaoxia was also reported to withdraw World cup because of a back injury before a super league match on 9.12 and she got her shoulder injured during the match, and lost that game. But she have done well on National Games, then no one would say a word on her absence of any super league match for a month.

This is it. I think there's a lot of factors for ZJK's absence of World Cup.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Regarding to “the story of ZJK”, it is unfair to Zhang Jike. He has no chance of self- defense. How can we be sure that it is a true story? I just want to say don’t trust the media easily, e.g. news from Sohu Sports, Sina Sports...etc. They are good at making up story. ZJK never seriously take recovery exercises??? ZJK is not that stupid. Don’t forget, he is a professional athlete.

Some of my friends got tattoos. As I know, they live a normal and healthy life. Don’t smoking or gambling. Do exercises in spare time and they have steady jobs. I think tattooing shouldn’t have anything to do with healthy life style or self-care or self-administration.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
ZJK is an explosive type of player so that he gets injured easily. LGL ever said that ZJK’s explosive power often far exceeded his own expectations. That was why he injuried himself easily.

[FONT=&quot]Coach Xiao Zhan ever said that, in order to participating London Olympics, ZJK put a lot of efforts into training. The volume of his daily training is triple comparing to others (Source from “PingPong Word 12/2012”). I think such the high volume of training has caused negative effects on his body.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The CNT always emphasize “collective interest”, “balance out”. Maybe it can explain why ZJK withdrew from the World Cup.

Now, I am worry about ZJK because he played quite well in the round 17 of CTTSL. [/FONT]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Regarding to “the story of ZJK”, it is unfair to Zhang Jike. He has no chance of self- defense. How can we be sure that it is a true story? I just want to say don’t trust the media easily, e.g. news from Sohu Sports, Sina Sports...etc. They are good at making up story. ZJK never seriously take recovery exercises??? ZJK is not that stupid. Don’t forget, he is a professional athlete.

Some of my friends got tattoos. As I know, they live a normal and healthy life. Don’t smoking or gambling. Do exercises in spare time and they have steady jobs. I think tattooing shouldn’t have anything to do with healthy life style or self-care or self-administration.

Hard working for Olympic doesn't explain why he didn't get injured before Olympic but had one injury after another between the Olympic Games and World Championship and after World Championship. Lack of systematic training is ZJK's own words on TV interview, you can think of it as a story made up by himself or he doesn't want to find a cover for his defeat. Others things is based on my own observation on his personality and various information combined together. He once also said players don't know how to be lazy are not good players. You can see one thing from both good and bad sides:clever and "lazy" are two sides of a coin. Freedom and no control are also.

I ain't meant to be unfair to him. It may be a little cruel to criticize him at this situation. Sorry if the words hurt you.

Last edited:
says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012

We will see how he will play in the last round of Super League or if he even plays.

I was completely wrong. Zhang Jike actually withdraws from World Cup after 17th round of Super League. So sorry for giving TTD's members wrong information.
So maybe he is really injured. I will wait until tomorrow and see if he plays good in Super League or even plays.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
I was completely wrong. Zhang Jike actually withdraws from World Cup after 17th round of Super League. So sorry for giving TTD's members wrong information.
So maybe he is really injured. I will wait until tomorrow and see if he plays good in Super League or even plays.

You were not wrong. The timing of ZJK's withdrawal from the World Cup and the match between Shandong and Shanghai has nothing to do with the announcement. The decision was made before the match. According to Liu Guoliang's most recent Weibo post of yesterday in response to people's questions about the news, ZJK withdrew from the World Cup not because of the injury but because he was told to give the chance to other younger players.

The gist of LGL's post is as follows:

He discussed with ZJK a few days ago about the upcoming World Cup and decided that ZJK is not fit to participate and win because

1) ZJK's lack of training recently
2) ZJK's lack of motivation to play in a major event like the World Cup

It said nothing about the injury.

LGL said ZJK will have his shot in 2014 and 2015 World Cup, and should gear himself up for 2016 Rio Olympics, thus completing the second round of Grand Slam.

However, one question remains:

Suppose ZJK for whatever reason failed to clinch 2014 World Cup title, how is he going to qualify for 2015 World Cup if the qualification criteria will still be the same as this year's. Is he expected to win 2015 WTTC? If not, he would have to win 2015 Asian Cup. Either way, it would become extremely difficult for him to even get into 2015 World Cup needless to say to win it if he could not win 2014 World Cup.

Reactions: delirious
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Hard working for Olympic doesn't explain why he didn't get injured before Olympic but had one injury after another between the Olympic Games and World Championship and after World Championship. Lack of systematic training is ZJK's own words on TV interview, you can think of it as a story made up by himself or he doesn't want to find a cover for his defeat. Others things is based on my own observation on his personality and various information combined together. He once also said players don't know how to be lazy are not good players. You can see one thing from both good and bad sides:clever and "lazy" are two sides of a coin. Freedom and no control are also.

I ain't meant to be unfair to him. It may be a little cruel to criticize him at this situation. Sorry if the words hurt you.

I would say shoulder and lower back injuries are old friends of ZJK. Such the bad friends often came to bother him, NOT ONLY came after London Olympics.

Of course I know ZJK said that his training was not systematic. He was arranged to attend many programs or events. Therefore, I was not surprise to hear that he lacked systematic training. Once again, don’t easily trust the information from the media, for example, Sohu Sports, Sina Sports,…etc. Their information often misleads the readers. It is reckless to judge ZJK based on the information from media. About “ZJK never take recovery exercises seriously after high-intensity training, and he doesn't like strength training, exposing himself under uncomfortable environment”, how can you be so sure it is the truth?

[FONT=&quot]ZJK once talked about “loose and tense”, “limited energy”. He used the image of a rubber band to describe. When we pull a rubber band too hard and tight for a long time, eventually it will lose its elasticity. It is about to relax properly, not “lazy”! [/FONT]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012

The announcement did happen about 21:00 Beijing Time or earlier (but not earlier than 17:00). The match between Shandong and Shanghai started at 19:30 and completed at about 21:30.

Alborz, you are not wrong.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
I would say shoulder and lower back injuries are old friends of ZJK. Such the bad friends often came to bother him, NOT ONLY came after London Olympics.

Of course I know ZJK said that his training was not systematic. He was arranged to attend many programs or events. Therefore, I was not surprise to hear that he lacked systematic training. Once again, don’t easily trust the information from the media, for example, Sohu Sports, Sina Sports,…etc. Their information often misleads the readers. It is reckless to judge ZJK based on the information from media. About “ZJK never take recovery exercises seriously after high-intensity training, and he doesn't like strength training, exposing himself under uncomfortable environment”, how can you be so sure it is the truth?

ZJK once talked about “loose and tense”, “limited energy”. He used the image of a rubber band to describe. When we pull a rubber band too hard and tight for a long time, eventually it will lose its elasticity. It is about to relax properly, not “lazy”!

So there's no need to say he works harder than anybody else since it is also reported on the media. His sports career is not longer than others, he don't have more chances for matches than others, he has more activities than others, but he also works three times harder than others. Do you mean he is a superman or sick man with strong willpower?

The words above is a summary of his coach Xiao Zhan. I believe his words because it accords with ZJK's style. If you don't trust media, don't trust ZJK himself on the media. My point of view is that one source of information not reliable, but if there are two, three, or more, you can choose to disbelieve them or ignore them., accepting only positive report of him, which is actually an unfair attitude, not to mention seeing truth beyond praise or blame.

Until now most media are friendly to ZJK, yet they still reveal something not as good as it sounds. I didn't say he is lazy. No players at this level are lazy. My point is that he doesn't pay attention to protect himself well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
The announcement did happen about 21:00 Beijing Time or earlier (but not earlier than 17:00). The match between Shandong and Shanghai started at 19:30 and completed at about 21:30.

Alborz, you are not wrong.

Say annoucment happen at 21:00.
What time was submission then?

I don't know how ITTF works, in terms of time/speed, but I assure you, The submission did not happen at 20:55.
More likely few hours, or even a working day before the annoucement.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

Hey Palvik.
I see you created a new account, but still having the same mentality that people enjoy your spamming?
I suggess you close your fake Ma Long account, because it is identity fraud, and stop spaming on FB, and all internet forums. You can just become a normal youtube poster, with correct ethics.
In case you don't know what I am talking about: https://www.facebook.com/pavlik.pochula

And maybe some other advice.
Please don't use Manhuant and reply post to Palvik89.
We are not stupid, but it is making you look wierd...
http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?6365-Military-Life-Wang-Hao-2013

Reactions: MDanielCRO