Why some player dint like anti and pimple player

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Hye all ... I don't understand why there are few players who look down on the player player anti spin also pimple player..

Some call them coward, ...

Some even thought they use the pimple or anti because don't know to receive serve from the opponent.

Do they not know anti pimple also has its own art ... the unique art of ... their own toil to had themselves.

It is not professional for me that may look cynical to anti pimple player and..

Yes, I am a anti player.. I voiced my disappointment in. ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
I knew an anti-spin player who slowly developed his craft until he became recognized as the top player in his state. It didn't hurt that he was also a very physically fit athlete and intensely competitive. It also didn't hurt that no one else used anti-spin except him. Out of curiosity, I started looking up anti-spin information and couldn't find very much. Even Larry Hodge's Tactics book has scant information. But we need variety in table tennis so I wish anti-spin players good luck and, no offense, I hope I never play you. Haha!

Reactions: Arif panamera
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Hye all ... I don't understand why there are few players who look down on the player player anti spin also pimple player..

Some even thought they use the pimple or anti because don't know to receive serve from the opponent.

Do they not know anti pimple also has its own art ... the unique art of ... their own toil to had themselves.

As is said elsewhere, variety the spice of life is.

Moreover, anti and pimples-out rubbers do offer different possibilities and challenges, both to those that use them and those that meet them in matchplay.

Yes, they can be disturbing and break your rhythm, but with most opponents I’ve encountered relying on these aspects they did so for want of masquerading a weakness. Add to this that the material itself imposes its limits and has exploitable disadvantages, the challenge becomes not merely outgunning the opponent, but finding that tactic that turns his strength into a weakness.

Once you do that, the table turns in your advantage. And all it takes is the willingness to gain an understanding of the effects these rubbers have – and experience playing it. Practice

I once encountered a much higher-rated opponent in a tournament. Still recovering from injury, my FH topspin was not sustainable against his LP blocks and chops. However, slow, spinless balls into wherever his LP were (he twiddled) forced many errors on his part, and I won without breaking a sweat. It disturbed me to win that way, and still feel like that; like many, I much prefer killing it over leading my oppo into unforced error country.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
As is saud elsewhere, variety the spice of life is.

Moreover, anti and pimples-out rubbers do offer different possibilities and challenges, both to those that use them and those that meet them in matchplay.

Yes, they can be disturbing and break your rhythm, but with most opponents I’ve encountered relying on these aspects they did so for want of masquerading a weakness. Add to this that the material itself imposes its limits and has exploitable disadvantages, the challenge becomes not merely outgunning the opponent, but finding that tactic that turns his strength into a weakness.

Once you do that, the table turns in your advantage. And all it takes is the willingness to gain an understanding of the effects these rubbers have – and experience playing it. Practice

I once encountered a much higher-rated opponent in a tournament. Still recovering from injury, my FH topspin was not sustainable against his LP blocks and chops. However, slow, spinless balls into wherever his LP were (he twiddled) forced many errors on his oart, and I won without breaking a sweat. It disturbed me to win that way, and still feel that way; like mant, I much prefer killing it over leading my oppo into unforced error country.

Hye Yoass

your statement is true and some a part of them is originally inverted but because like to hide their weaknesses and also goes the anti and pimple ... it was so desperate and so sad ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The last two American players to reach the world top 30 were anti players on one side. Back in the 80s., before the two cokor rule. You give up a lot with anti and nowadays it would probably put a ceiling on your development. Rare styles can be effective especially at low to mid amateur levels. People will complain but so what? If it helps you, use it.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
As for some people switching to anti or LP to cover a weakness, especially in serve return, there is no denying that this is true in many cases. However it only helps those players up to certain level and a decent server will easily make them pay for it. There are many ways to deal with those kinds of rubbers,. You need to have good control of the depth of your serve.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
The last two American players to reach the world top 30 were anti players on one side. Back in the 80s., before the two cokor rule. You give up a lot with anti and nowadays it would probably put a ceiling on your development. Rare styles can be effective especially at low to mid amateur levels. People will complain but so what? If it helps you, use it.

I remember John Hilton vividly. Black and black, stamping or grinting when hitting. Hard to tell what he hit with, and you could not watch the greats (Sécretin comes to mind) collapse in desperation without a cringe.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews

Most people who moan about pips or anti simply do not understand how to play against such rubber surfaces and also have no idea just how difficult it is and how much actual skill is required to use pips or anti effectively, especially as you encounter better and better opponents.

Hence the complaints about "ugly" playing style or lucky net balls, etc.

Just ignore them and enjoy easy wins.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
says STAX X9000 is the BEST!
In my local table tennis community there is a lot of players that openly don't like players with pimples or anti rubbers, they say mostly "it's not table tennis!!" "they should play among themselves!", some of them even forfeits matches against players with pimples/anti rubbers... There are even a regular (every week) tournament which doesn't allow to participate players with pimples/anti rubbers (I never was there, itsgoes against my principles, this is a form of discrimination IMO)... IMO all this player's don't want to learn or even think when they play, for them table tennis is simple, most of them plays total attacking style with no compromise, almost no "soft" control play at all, and of course the overall level of this players is not high... it's just IMHO table tennis is not that simple, so this people will never advance with the way they are thinking, I'm kinda pity them... that is only IMHO though, I played LP for about a year, tried anti, played with MP and SP, but for now returned to inverted rubbers and at a moment I'm having great troubles playing against pimples/anti rubbers, but that is entirely MY problem and it's for ME to solve...

P.S. Sorry for my bad english...

This user has no status.
As for the "coward" thing. First of all I'd never call anyone names due to their playing style. But players exist who change to pips because they suck so hard with "regular" rubbers so they change as a last resort. They have no idea about how to play with pips but still win a match here and there against opponents who have no clue how to play against pips. That is why some people say that playing pips is only for people that cannot play table tennis with normal rubbers. Sometimes it is true. Most times not.

And if you lose against someone who has no clue of what he is doing, well, I guess you must be even worse then :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
According to some of this logic, world class choppers are "masking" a weakness because they play with pips on one side. I don't think that is true. I think many who play with pips, anti, or whatever rubber, do so because it fits their style and preference. There are many types of inverted rubber, too, with fairly substantial differences. Imagine if people would say, "Oh, I don't want to play you, you play with that fast Chinese rubber. You should play with more traditional rubber."

A friend of mine used to say, "It is just a ball with spin. It doesn't really matter how the spin got there - deal with it."

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
"Oh, I don't want to play you, you play with that fast Chinese rubber. You should play with more traditional rubber."

A friend of mine used to say, "It is just a ball with spin. It doesn't really matter how the spin got there - deal with it."

This is so true it is not funny. Whenever I see someone using Hurricane or Tenergy, I want to complain. Seriously. Especially Hurricane.

As for spin, even world class players who have been playing all their lives sometimes make mistakes in spin read on serve return. If it can happen to them, it can happen to you.

This user has no status.
According to some of this logic, world class choppers are "masking" a weakness because they play with pips on one side. I don't think that is true.
If you are referring to my post, I have said that SOMETIMES it is true, but MOST TIMES not.

Moreover, we have a young man in our club who struggled hard to learn a decent backhand. Therefore our trainer decided to give him long pips on his backhand. This guy right now is our best player with a German TTR of 2000. Add the 300-400 points and you have your estimated USATT of about 2400. He is awesome with pips but at the very beginning they were meant to "hide" his backhand weakness. Sure, no doubt he would be an awesome player right now even without pips as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
As for the "coward" thing. First of all I'd never call anyone names due to their playing style. But players exist who change to pips because they suck so hard with "regular" rubbers so they change as a last resort. They have no idea about how to play with pips but still win a match here and there against opponents who have no clue how to play against pips. That is why some people say that playing pips is only for people that cannot play table tennis with normal rubbers. Sometimes it is true. Most times not.

And if you lose against someone who has no clue of what he is doing, well, I guess you must be even worse then :p

I find this post pathetic. I myself could still play inverted very well, as good as LP, at least in the 1st 40 years until my arm/wrist/body too slow to play aggressively. So I decided to slow my game a bit and LP suited me well to handle young and quick players.

The reason people choose a certain style because it suits them; certain strokes need inverted some need SP, anti, LP. Be it attacking with 2 wings BH and FH or chopping with LP and attacking with inverted FH or chopping/blocking with LP or attacking with SP and BH with LP, or you name it ... these styles suit certain people.

Please don't call them they try to hide a weakness. Weakness so what? Can you play LP so that you can beat others? You can't, right? we may say you have a weakness against LP player and if we see you in a tournament we will use LP to beat you. The best way to deal with LP is to play more with them then you will find a way to beat them consistently like many folks here already said. It is pathetic to say this person has a weakness to hide. A good tactic is play more against the LP side! We LP players know this LP side is the weakness and must try to adapt to it.

Reactions: suds79 and vvk1
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Arif, learn to twiddle and people will hate playing you. You opponents will have to always be paying attention to your BH rubber that hit the ball. Difference between a slow backspin anti return and a fast top spin inverted return is extreme and will win many points for the twiddler when the opponent assumes wrong spin on the ball.

Reactions: Arif panamera
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
This is so true it is not funny. Whenever I see someone using Hurricane or Tenergy, I want to complain. Seriously. Especially Hurricane.

As for spin, even world class players who have been playing all their lives sometimes make mistakes in spin read on serve return. If it can happen to them, it can happen to you.

Just out of curiosity, what makes Hurricane so relatively troubling for you?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
In my local table tennis community there is a lot of players that openly don't like players with pimples or anti rubbers, they say mostly "it's not table tennis!!" "they should play among themselves!", some of them even forfeits matches against players with pimples/anti rubbers... There are even a regular (every week) tournament which doesn't allow to participate players with pimples/anti rubbers (I never was there, itsgoes against my principles, this is a form of discrimination IMO)... IMO all this player's don't want to learn or even think when they play, for them table tennis is simple, most of them plays total attacking style with no compromise, almost no "soft" control play at all, and of course the overall level of this players is not high... it's just IMHO table tennis is not that simple, so this people will never advance with the way they are thinking, I'm kinda pity them... that is only IMHO though, I played LP for about a year, tried anti, played with MP and SP, but for now returned to inverted rubbers and at a moment I'm having great troubles playing against pimples/anti rubbers, but that is entirely MY problem and it's for ME to solve...

P.S. Sorry for my bad english...

Your English is fine and easy to understand. Also - nice to see you here (I've read your thread on ttsport.ru, all 70+ pages of it :cool:)

Reactions: DragonOwen
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Just out of curiosity, what makes Hurricane so relatively troubling for you?

The slow release of the ball. Throws off my timing especially on pushes. Sometimes the arc does as well, as it comes through the table with more spin than the arc tends to communicate until I adjust.