World #90 Iba Diaw loses to Unranked Female Opponent, Calls Cheating!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022

My personal opinion: I dont care if they microwaved their paddle then rubbed Tom and Jerry grade slippery oil all over it. Not really a match ya should be losing even if they were cheating. Fight me in the comments.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
HE MADE ME HAPPY AGAIN.

Hip-hip hurrah!!! for Mr. Adham Sharara. Не really made the game more playable, the plastic balls give you better chance to return the ball for many long strokes in a sequence. So much accuracy came up in play with the plastic balls, thanks to Adham's innovative introduction.

Last edited:
Reactions: pingpongpaddy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Calling her unranked is selling her a little short. She was a former CNT player and was one of the top US females when she was more active.
Probably someone just trying to bait the uninformed.
Guo Jiangshan has wins against CNT members, so irrespective on how little she plays nowadays, she can probably 11-0 everyone on this forum.

Her style of play also gives her an extra bonus

However, I am amazed in these "star" tournaments in USA, where there isn't racket control and/or umpires.
Even low level basketball matches, you have referees and when I see the highest level USATT domestic tournaments with no umpires,,,, I was a bit surprised.

So with the lack of the above, it won't be surprise if one comes and plays with microwaved rubbers. However, I come across amateur veterans (masters nowadays) who does that way more after. Seldom will see proper pro trained players doing that

Reactions: SamTheMan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
That is one cool video.

Lol, I speak Chinese. I agree the end of the video is shady. I am glad that someone identified the rubber as Dawei 388D-2.

The interviewer asked for the blade. They showed him the Butterfly website. Lol!

I have bought some rubbers from Aliexpress where it has ITTF approval logo on it, but yet there is no approval number, meaning it is no longer approved. I am toooo lazy to find out if Dawei 388D-2 is on the list of approved rubber currently.

I mean, I agree that in the U.S., shockingly you should have some umpires at 4-star or 5-star tournaments checking rubber and checking for the presence of speed glue, etc. After all, if you are going to offer some prize money, you should make some effort.

On the other hand, the amount of prize money is pitiful. There is simply not enough budget for it. So if Iba Diaw wants to enter a tournament in the US, what does he expect?

But back to the other side, Iba Diaw made the effort to enter the tournament and paid the expenses (I don't know if he lives in the US now like Kou Lei, formerly Chinese player and not sure if "formerly" Ukraine player now), he deserves a fair chance.

Westchester Table Tennis definitely went out of the norm and did an awesome click bait video so there is going to be a lot of debate, rightfully so.

I am honestly on the side of Iba Diaw after thinking about both sides while typing up this post.

Reactions: lodro and turbozed
This user has no status.
1699086414530.png

If it is the Dawei 388-D2 it looks like an authorized rubber doesn’t it

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
The racket in question:
IMG_5168.jpeg

Handle is pretty obviously Super Vis, red sponge on fh

388D-2 green:
IMG_5167.jpeg

At 35:40 in the video, dude says D09C fh

Attachments

• IMG_5166.jpeg
    IMG_5166.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Are those 2 sponsored by Butterfly? They could be bound by contract. The dude relayed the question as the following, "...and your BH is, the Butterfly you were using previously?"

The secrecy over equipment is a common practice for combination players. It's like a lifeline of their style.

In the past, Fukuhara used to keep a tight lip on her BH rubber. To this date, it's still not exactly certain what specific model of Armstrong Attack 8 she used (she kept changing) and it was said not available on the market. To add to the confusion, most CNT members, Kong Linghui included, kept saying she was playing long pips.

https://mytabletennis.net/forum/for...tle=kuwait-open-ai-fukuharawang-yue-gu#413231
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61523&PID=732245&title=armstrong-attack-8#732245
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/foru...0&title=medium-pips-rubber-ai-fukuhara#734400
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/foru...28&title=ai-fukuharas-armstrong-attack#885128

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
Are those 2 sponsored by Butterfly? They could be bound by contract. The dude relayed the question as the following, "...and your BH is, the Butterfly you were using previously?"

The secrecy over equipment is a common practice for combination players. It's like a lifeline of their style.

In the past, Fukuhara used to keep a tight lip on her BH rubber. To this date, it's still not exactly certain what specific model of Armstrong Attack 8 she used (she kept changing) and it was said not available on the market. To add to the confusion, most CNT members, Kong Linghui included, kept saying she was playing long pips.

https://mytabletennis.net/forum/for...tle=kuwait-open-ai-fukuharawang-yue-gu#413231
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61523&PID=732245&title=armstrong-attack-8#732245
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/foru...0&title=medium-pips-rubber-ai-fukuhara#734400
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/foru...28&title=ai-fukuharas-armstrong-attack#885128
Another reason why I hate LP. You are playing the equipment and not the player. If one wins from their skill what difference if they show people the equipment? I've always felt that below 2000 they should have tournaments that separate pips players vs inverted. Above that the players would have enough skill and training to counter it.

Reactions: Gozo Aruna
says Aging is a killer
😂 A lot of things being said here.
I have not watched the match. But it's not unusual for females to beat their contemporary male opponents.
Reason; females tend to play a fast game close to the table. It's a style male players are not used to and get caught out all the time.

It happens weekly in every tt league in the world.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Another reason why I hate LP. You are playing the equipment and not the player. If one wins from their skill what difference if they show people the equipment? I've always felt that below 2000 they should have tournaments that separate pips players vs inverted. Above that the players would have enough skill and training to counter it.

Contractually bound is probably a higher cause here
Butterfly sponsored player said I can take photos of his bat...because there is a non butterfly rubber on.
Its very common, so I am not surprised.

and who is the interviewer? a complete stranger?
You think anyone can just rock up to any "pro" player and ask to see his bat?

I think there is a couple of things within merit on why they did need to reply with a Butterfly rubber.

and I saw the matches, that rubber looks very normal to me

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
A lot of things being said here.
I have not watched the match. But it's not unusual for females to beat their male contemporary opponents.
Reason; females tend to play a fast game close to the table. It's a style male players are not used to and get caught out all the time.
she is a high level long pip chop blocker from China who have wins against CNT players.

OP makes it sound like a WR90 playing against an amateur.

So other than a high skilled player, also a unique style.

I recall one of Taiwan's young female junior chop blocker came to USA and beat Mark Hazinski (over 2600).
at best she is a 2300~2400 player, but ends up with 2500 due to wins over 2600 and 2400 male players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi