World Table Tennis Championships 2023

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
serving long on crucial stage is a good stredgy at times. depending on the build up to that serve, of course.
CIC was so close, but then if she made it, another Chinese and then another Chinese, then another...
thats too much of a hill to climb
I think serving long when you are up or down match point is begging the opponent to respond with their training. Of course a kick topspin serve when you have three match points is not what I am thinking about. I am thinking about serving fast and long and hoping that the opponent misses or rushing into a rally. I think showing a willing less to fight for your match point is important.

Of course table tennis is never so simple but my main point is that don't try to get the match point over with or look for a 50‐50 play to win one point. Show a desire to fight and win.

Beating one Chinese would have been enough.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think serving long when you are up or down match point is begging the opponent to respond with their training. Of course a kick topspin serve when you have three match points is not what I am thinking about. I am thinking about serving fast and long and hoping that the opponent misses or rushing into a rally. I think showing a willing less to fight for your match point is important.

Of course table tennis is never so simple but my main point is that don't try to get the match point over with or look for a 50‐50 play to win one point. Show a desire to fight and win.

Few years ago, I recall a high profile Chinese coach friend of mine would always tell the players, at crucial stages - serve long.

He has his reasoning
1) serve and get ready to attack or counter attack. First one to attack hard, will win the point
2) crucial stage, serve short has a higher risk of error/making a bad serve, especially service return can be attacked by the bh flick. Don't serve and loose the advantage of first to attack.

I think each has they own merits, hence I say, depending on the build up to the situation

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel and JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Few years ago, I recall one of a high profile Chinese coach friend of mine would always tell the players, at crucial stages - serve long.

He has his reasoning
1) serve and get ready to attack or counter attack. First one to attack hard, will win the point
2) crucial stage, serve short has a higher risk of error/making a bad serve, especially service return can be attacked by the bh flick. Don't serve and loose the advantage of first to attack.

I think each has they own merits, hence I say, depending on the build up to the situation
I agree. Serve long and be ready to see if all the practices you have done will let you win. When you serve long, basically it is all about reflexes and all the hours of practice you have put into your strokes. By then, may the better player win basically.

In addition, I agree. At the crucial stage, the most important thing is to put the ball on the table. And serving long, you can serve backspin, no spin (i.e. let the ball glide on the table and maybe wobble a bit) or top spin. You can serve long to the right, middle or left of the table. So serving long still means that you can keep your opponent guessing.

Finally if you serve long, the opponent will give you a long ball. There is no way he would give you a short ball unless he pops the ball up. Then if that's the case, smash it. So you know once you serve long, you need to take a step back from the table and be ready to rally fast and quick.

If you serve short, the opponent can put it short, with back spin or no spin, or flick it and make it long. It actually becomes somewhat complicated in that situation when you have already been thinking too much prior to putting the ball into play at such a crucial moment of the match.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018

Hirano: Allow me to give you a demonstration.

And some wisdom quotes from Li Ching during Tokyo 2020.
https://www.sportsroad.hk/archives/342670
2. 「不過女仔有時係咁㗎啦,見到幸福要夠膽攞先得。」
港女隊殺入八強後,同樣以局數3:1擊敗羅馬尼亞,歷史性躋身四強。李靜賽後以「爭取幸福」為比喻,望女將們下仗能更放膽地進攻。

3. 「我諗睇多啲鬼片喇,膽生毛就有夠膽贏。」
歷史性晉身女團四強的港隊惜負予日本組合無緣決賽,李靜於賽後強調女將們「膽怯」,因而笑說球員應看更多鬼片,藉此提升膽量。
2. "However, girls are sometimes like that. When happiness pops up, you have to be brave and take it."
After the Hong Kong women's team reached the quarterfinal, they also defeated Romania 3:1, reaching the semifinal for the first time in history. After the match, Li Ching used "fighting for happiness" as a metaphor, hoping that the female players would attack more boldly in the next battle.

3. "Hmm, watch more scary movies? If you dare, you will win."
The Hong Kong team, which made it to the semifinal of the women's team historically, regretted losing to the Japanese team and missed the final. After the match, Li Ching emphasized that the female players were "timid", so he joked and said that the players should watch more horror movies to improve their courage.

Li Sun has also touched on the aspect of courage.
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...ens-game-different-from-men.21464/post-282362
This is how Li Sun thinks of the application of the male style in an interview after Li Xiaoxia won the WTTC 2013.

★李隼认为,女子打法男性化,不仅是指技术方面,“技术一辈子也男性化不了。真正的男性化是指思想方法,解决问题的思路,关键时刻能不能豁得出去。这个得靠平时多练,平时全都练到了,在场上敢出手,胜率肯定就高。”
(★ Li Sun believes that the masculinization of the women's style is not merely technical, "the techniques will never be masculinized. The real masculinization refers to the way of thinking, the solution to the problem, whether you could brave it out when it's make or break. This requires practicing in usual times. Once it becomes second nature, and you dare to attempt the shots in matches, the winning percentage would definitely be high.")

Li Sun mentioned the application of the male style at the mental level(女子技術意識男性化) again in March this year in preparation for the WTTC 2019.

中国女乒主教练李隼表示:“这次男女队在一起练,我觉得氛围非常好,这次主要是把女队的很多主力队员都和男队在一起合练,而且比赛在一起打,我觉得这对于女子技术意识男性化帮助非常大,对抗性非常强,整个训练的强度,包括主动意识方面,对抗方面,我觉得效果非常显著。”
(CNT women's head coach Li Sun stated: "This time the men's and women's team are practicing together, I think the atmosphere is very good. Here, the core players of the women's team are training together with the men's team, and the matches are played together. I think this is very helpful for the masculinization of the women's technical awareness, and the confrontation is very strong. The intensity of the whole training, including the active awareness, and the confrontation, I think the effect is very significant.")

Last edited:
Jan 2018
that was a great win for Miu HIRANO but yesterday she lost 0-4 to WANG Yidi
and it was 1-11 in G4.

humiliation
Hayata: I guess 2 > 1

WTT CS Macao 2023
https://youtu.be/CDasW4Coe3k?t=1001
https://youtu.be/6J0AUDQAN8c?t=293

WTT CS Xinxiang 2023
https://youtu.be/vyhZbP9rzqo?t=3028
https://youtu.be/2u0U0G8xebw?t=715

Given Hirano's condition shortly after her arrival (lost her voice due to the dry air in the fuselage during the flight , haven't looked into whether it is cold, flu or allergy), she played decently to lead most of the time in G2 and G3. She managed to creep back in in G1 after a disastrous start (0:5, 3:9, 7:9, 7:11). Like she said in the mixed-zone interview, she should've called TO in G2.

Whatever the case, reaching the R16 was her minimum goal after the draw. Playing singles only is a double-edge sword as players tend to use the court time in other events to warm up and get used to the main hall tables (training hall conditions are totally different).

Anyway, Kato is "paying the most attention to Hirano", with Ito second and Hayata third. Will see how Hayata fares against WYD next.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
yes, despite HAYATA being the strongest Japanese player by some margin, i do think she's miles away from the top Chinese still.

the only (very) strong hope I have now is Miwa HARIMOTO. Just need to wait 1-2 more years so she finishes her growth and stabilizes even more, while getting even more power than currently.

HAYATA would do well if she wins the mixed doubles (very decent chance IMO). the Miyus have a slight chance in WD.

For Tomokazu HARIMOTO, everything is possible if he gets into the zone, but it doesn't happen that often. Fingers crossed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
On the eve of Anders Lind's match in the quarterfinals, I decided to watch his games and came across this video, which I just couldn't help but share with you

I love how relaxed, loose, he is, also during the match. It is more like a principle worth to pursue. Use the power only when really needed for the shortest amount of time required. I feel very far from it ;-)

Reactions: Choosikick
Jan 2018
Xiao Zhan: 45%? LOL
yuSIszm.jpg

9VmdQr2.jpg

dJw3VJD.jpg

LlMUzrz.jpg

mR1asbF.jpg

sxQA2qe.jpg

Silver medalists WCT/DHK