WTT Champions Xinxiang 2023

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
So, this tournament has been going on. Top seeds, bo5, upsets galore, the usual stuff. And for a change, actually packed arena.

And to top it all off, a 1996 Liu Guoliang supporting his guys
1681054066300.png

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Harimoto won against Franziska 3-1.
Harimoto has so many ups and downs, I wasn't so confident...
he was something like 1-6 in the 4th as well, could easily have gone to decider and then it's anyone's game. Bo5 is a bit too random for my liking.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Close call for Ma Long, Anton Kalleberg played very well.
Kallberg has that potential but is still looking for that win in the last two years or so. His game quality looks so obviously top 10 with the close to the table sperd and quality and he really should have more scalps from Vhina. I guess being Swedish and having so much competition is a good thing and a bad thing.

This user has no status.
I didn’t do a count. Anton failed to return 2/5 of ML’s serve. Then he returned too high for half of the time.

Anton could’ve won if he had better return and short game
Ma Long also strangely struggled against Anton's serve especially the old hook/tomahawk serve.

Tbh Anton already has one of the best short games in Europe (imo Truls Moregardh is no.1 there) but still it wasn't enough against Ma Long.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Kallberg has that potential but is still looking for that win in the last two years or so. His game quality looks so obviously top 10 with the close to the table sperd and quality and he really should have more scalps from Vhina. I guess being Swedish and having so much competition is a good thing and a bad thing.
At the same time, for all that, he has one obvious problem - the lack of feeling for the ball and flexibility. His tennis is robotic and works well in standard situations, but the top 10 is played by people who can arrange a lot of unusual situations, so in my opinion he will not get into the top 10 of the world in the near future.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
At the same time, for all that, he has one obvious problem - the lack of feeling for the ball and flexibility. His tennis is robotic and works well in standard situations, but the top 10 is played by people who can arrange a lot of unusual situations, so in my opinion he will not get into the top 10 of the world in the near future.
I think we assume a bit too much based on watching players styles when we use terms like "robotic". You don't get anywhere close to the top 100 without having a complete game, it is just that the the things that players display at the table vary. Chuang Chi Yuan is probably the most robotic player ever yet no one brings that up because of his size. I think from where I sit, the issue is more likely mental and maybe instead of robotic, I would say lacking variations apart from speed. Maybe it is something his coaches are working in but I respect Persson so he can't have completely overlooked it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Wow! LYJ won Ma Long! He looks matured, gaining strength, while maintaining his speed. Apparently, he will have to meet with Hugo Calderano, who, in my opinion, should beat Filus. It will be a very interesting match! Who has any predictions?
I think he’s too fast and strong for Hugo..

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I think we assume a bit too much based on watching players styles when we use terms like "robotic". You don't get anywhere close to the top 100 without having a complete game, it is just that the the things that players display at the table vary. Chuang Chi Yuan is probably the most robotic player ever yet no one brings that up because of his size. I think from where I sit, the issue is more likely mental and maybe instead of robotic, I would say lacking variations apart from speed. Maybe it is something his coaches are working in but I respect Persson so he can't have completely overlooked it.
Well I had the good fortune of seeing CCY In person in Fremont feeder .. to me he felt like somebody who never loses his form .. under pressure or not .. so does holding form ( which is a good thing and probabaly because his footwork and anticipation is pretty much "on point" most of the times ) seems robotic :unsure: sometimes ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Well I had the good fortune of seeing CCY In person in Fremont feeder .. to me he felt like somebody who never loses his form .. under pressure or not .. so does holding form ( which is a good thing and probabaly because his footwork and anticipation is pretty much "on point" most of the times ) seems robotic :unsure: sometimes ?
You're alive too? Shuki first, ttmonster now? Beautiful days are ahead! Great to hear from you, how are you?

I made the robotic point mostly in response to JOOLA, partly because a high level coach told me that many lower level players had told him that CCY was the easiest higher level player they had ever played against, that he basically was a WYSIWYG player with no disturbing elements to his game. Kallberg was/is a notorious server but I was using CCY to make a point . Watch the video with him and Saive playing a match that transformed into an exhibition match, you will see that he like just about every top player is capable of things that they never do in a real match.

Great to hear from you!

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
You're alive too? Shuki first, ttmonster now? Beautiful days are ahead! Great to hear from you, how are you?

I made the robotic point mostly in response to JOOLA, partly because a high level coach told me that many lower level players had told him that CCY was the easiest higher level player they had ever played against, that he basically was a WYSIWYG player with no disturbing elements to his game. Kallberg was/is a notorious server but I was using CCY to make a point . Watch the video with him and Saive playing a match that transformed into an exhibition match, you will see that he like just about every top player is capable of things that they never do in a real match.

Great to hear from you!
I am doing good NL .. good to hear from you ! Indeed beautiful days are ahead ! ha ha . ! ....

Got the context now .. by the way do you know the nickname of CCY in taiwan is something like "The Professor or The teacher" .. because his technique is so pure ... I have always found it easier to play with WYSIWYG players .. but normally they beat you with their consistency ... and I am guessing CCY just does it on another level !

I was trying to comment on the possible perception bias that just because somebody has good footwork and is able to anticipate and execute their strokes with consistent form does not mean they are robotic.. case in point many have made the same allegations about tons of CNT players .. but its just not true

Reactions: Choosikick