WTT Feeder Manchester Feb 2024

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Totally agree with everything said - it was a decent event, and for me to see TT live at that level was great, as havent had the opportunity before (i think there was at least double the amount of people you said @Wrighty67 - but even so still nowhere near enough).

But it could be sooooo much better!!!!

This user has no status.
Since last summer you can follow the (male) German Bundesliga online only via paid subscription for 14,50€/month from Dyn and they now got the exclusive rights for two years to stream WTT events starting with the World Team Championships. No more free YouTube streams. I fear WTT is trying to sell the rights now everywhere they can. Good luck trying to grow the sport that way.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Since last summer you can follow the (male) German Bundesliga online only via paid subscription for 14,50€/month from Dyn and they now got the exclusive rights for two years to stream WTT events starting with the World Team Championships. No more free YouTube streams. I fear WTT is trying to sell the rights now everywhere they can. Good luck trying to grow the sport that way.
IT is actually the better way to go if they can make it work, the problem is trusting the people who are doing this. They really do need to commercialize the sport, it is hard for us to complain when they make attempts.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022
Both myself and the guy sitting next to me thought the doubles line call was incorrect. We were sitting in the stand just off centre so had a good view, but without a replay impossible to say for certain. Was a big call from the umpire!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022
Cho’s service game and 3rd ball were really strong. I felt in the rally he was probably slightly weaker than Ranefur, but so few points got that far!

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022
If even winners are only getting $650 then every player is losing money. Let’s hope it’s worth it for their sponsors as otherwise not sustainable. Lily seemed really happy with her win though! Was hard to tell with Cho… I think a lot of what he said may have lost in translation.
A lot of the winners suggested crowd was larger than usual. I think wrighty’s estimate way too low. I think there were 200+ people court side and several times that in the stand…still not really very many.
Anders Lind was really good in the fanzone making selfies with people, having a 10 minute knock with one of the volunteers, and showing us all just how hard a pro hits the ball on the speedgun challenge (119kph backhand)
Apologies for the rash of posts I got home quite late last night and have been working today …

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
More can (and hopefully will!) be done to add to the experience of these events, and the prize money does seem low. But thinking specifically about this event and where it was hosted - you have to start somewhere. TTE should be able to use this as a starting point and build up from there. The next step is an important one, and we have the World Teams to look forward to in London in a few years' time. Will there be another Feeder, can we go bigger / better / invest more next time etc...

About the longer-term, big picture situation with WTT - some things have improved in terms of presentation and quality compared to the ITTF days, but the Feeder events do seem to be small-scale affairs. Is that a sound approach? Wider access, give more players in the top 100 a chance to go further and avoid the bigger fish? It's hard to know without seeing the funds WTT have available, and the audience they're reaching.

All I can say is that we all loved it, but we're all TT people and maybe a bit easily impressed after many years of no major events over here. But I think the staff and volunteers put on a good event overall and I'd go to another one in a heartbeat.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
If even winners are only getting $650 then every player is losing money. Let’s hope it’s worth it for their sponsors as otherwise not sustainable. Lily seemed really happy with her win though! Was hard to tell with Cho… I think a lot of what he said may have lost in translation.
A lot of the winners suggested crowd was larger than usual. I think wrighty’s estimate way too low. I think there were 200+ people court side and several times that in the stand…still not really very many.
Anders Lind was really good in the fanzone making selfies with people, having a 10 minute knock with one of the volunteers, and showing us all just how hard a pro hits the ball on the speedgun challenge (119kph backhand)
Apologies for the rash of posts I got home quite late last night and have been working today …

I think you need to count, how many is real spectators, and then how many are players/coaches, and then a very big amount - the volunteers.

Correct number should be "ticket sold" and ticket holders in the stands.
many of these events, you could have more non ticket holders than ticket holders.
Never the less, there are many problems on why not even 10% or 5% or 1% of the "TT playing population" don't visit WTT events.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
I think you need to count, how many is real spectators, and then how many are players/coaches, and then a very big amount - the volunteers.

Correct number should be "ticket sold" and ticket holders in the stands.
many of these events, you could have more non ticket holders than ticket holders.
Never the less, there are many problems on why not even 10% or 5% or 1% of the "TT playing population" don't visit WTT events.
Agree with this - plenty of non ticket holders present at Manchester I think, although I may have been too pessimistic on my estimates. Stands were pretty sparse and only one small section. Table side was only on finals day and added maybe 100 but a fair few looked to be family and local dignitaries etc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Agree with this - plenty of non ticket holders present at Manchester I think, although I may have been too pessimistic on my estimates. Stands were pretty sparse and only one small section. Table side was only on finals day and added maybe 100 but a fair few looked to be family and local dignitaries etc.

I was courtside - counted 30 seats long and 3 rows deep either side, then some behind the end so I would say 250. There were some family/sponsors/officials but at least 70/80% were tickets i would say. (I used to watch a lot of non-league football so used to estimate smaller crowds :) )

Look at darts in the UK - how that is shown and marketed, and the prize money. And how Luke Little is causing a storm across social media. Thats a sport thats pretty much only played in the UK and some of Europe, and the view at events is terrible but it captures a big market. A lot is through alcohol and people go there to get drunk and have a party, which im not saying it needs to replicate. But it needs to be made fun and exciting as well as the sporting spectacle to get new fans to come back.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I was courtside - counted 30 seats long and 3 rows deep either side, then some behind the end so I would say 250. There were some family/sponsors/officials but at least 70/80% were tickets i would say. (I used to watch a lot of non-league football so used to estimate smaller crowds :) )

Look at darts in the UK - how that is shown and marketed, and the prize money. And how Luke Little is causing a storm across social media. Thats a sport thats pretty much only played in the UK and some of Europe, and the view at events is terrible but it captures a big market. A lot is through alcohol and people go there to get drunk and have a party, which im not saying it needs to replicate. But it needs to be made fun and exciting as well as the sporting spectacle to get new fans to come back.
at Durban WTTC
there was last mins request for "free tickets".
and local clubs was busing in people.

The finals, did get a lot of Chinese people come in (since China made it to the finals).
If there was no Chinese players, I doubt the Chinese locals would have showed up.

Exactly how many tickets was sold at WTTC Durban
i don't have the stats, but I would be very close to accurate if I say, maybe 10% to 20% was ticket purchased, the rest of the locals were either umpires, volunteers, free ticket holders, players/coaches, LOC staff.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022
There were 3 rows of around 30 seats either side of the table on finals day (I counted because I was interested in getting an idea how many people were watching), and then the bank behind the end of the table. So close to 200 by sides of table. Then 50 or so seats at the end of the table in 3 more rows… definitely coaches etc in there though.
We’re debating the difference between a small and a tiny crowd though, I’m not trying to suggest it was like a football match.

Reactions: jammmail

I am big fan of Darts, don't play it myself or only rarely for fun but I always watch all major championships live on television.
Darts is so immensely popular thanks to live TV broadcasts, gambling sites and, of course, excessive alcohol consumption by spectators.
However, I can't imagine that during international table tennis matches there is chanting, shouting and frenzied scenes when points are nicely made (apart from some hand clapping).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
I am big fan of Darts, don't play it myself or only rarely for fun but I always watch all major championships live.
Darts is so immensely popular thanks to live TV broadcasts, gambling sites and, of course, excessive alcohol consumption by spectators.
However, I can't imagine that during international table tennis matches there is chanting, shouting and frenzied scenes when points are nicely made (apart from some hand clapping).

Agreed - not saying copy the model of darts - but be inspired by it. Darts is a truly terrible sport to watch live, much better on the telly in comparison (bit like golf). Yet they create an occasion to draw people in.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Agreed - not saying copy the model of darts - but be inspired by it. Darts is a truly terrible sport to watch live, much better on the telly in comparison (bit like golf). Yet they create an occasion to draw people in.
Darts is a great example - as you say, poor to watch on the face of it, yet draws crowds - commentary is a big part of it in my opinion.

I have watched high level league matches in Germany and France, and these can be loud, exciting and partisan - plenty of booing and cheering and likely some alcohol to help things along. There is very little cheering and engagement from the crowds at our events - Nationals being a case in point where it is just lacking atmosphere despite some fantastic TT.