WTT Feeder Manchester Feb 2024

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Huang just absolutely destroyed by Bajor - unbelievable performance by Bajor with world class BH and Huang very poor in not avoiding it!
Bajor sometimes plays like the best women's player in Europe, and then sometimes plays like a very good player - I think as you pointed out, it is probably something about the backhand rally and whether you can use tactics to constrain her. It was probably a case of strength against strength and Bajor just won out. After all, she has beaten Miwa Harimoto before.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Cho Daeseong - what a player, was levels above!!!!!. Lilly came back strong after the first end. Was great to watch up close!

Happy Lily could take it all, and Cho was just building his ego for future events.
He was incredible - but I was super impressed with Ranefur from coming though qualifying to the final. Great attitude and one of the best BH’s I have seen for a long time. I think he will go far..
Ranfeur is a bit older already (late 20s), and with the Swedish logjam on the top team, it is unlikely he will ever get major burn. But crazier things have happened. I believe the current men's team is Truls, Anton, Mattias, Kristian and Jon. Ranfeur was the other semi-finalist at the last Swedish nationals, so he isn't completely out of the mix, but unlikely to get in without something changing.

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Happy Lily could take it all, and Cho was just building his ego for future events.

Ranfeur is a bit older already (late 20s), and with the Swedish logjam on the top team, it is unlikely he will ever get major burn. But crazier things have happened. I believe the current men's team is Truls, Anton, Mattias, Kristian and Jon. Ranfeur was the other semi-finalist at the last Swedish nationals, so he isn't completely out of the mix, but unlikely to get in without something changing.
You may be right regards Ranefur - I saw the vert close semi vs Anton last year. In my opinion he has more in his arsenal, both in shots and mentally than Anton and Jon and better touch than Kristian so I would be putting him in the mix as he continues to develop.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Ranefur was so relaxed - like he had turned up just for a knock :)

Agree his touch was incredible, and his backhand serve really gave everyone trouble with the variation.

As i said Cho - was just a different level - approach, his play, temperament - hes obviously played at a higher level and in that next bracket above of top players. But he went out and got the job done - even if something went against him he was focused on that next point. I think your right the occasion got to a lot of the Brits. Even before his injury Pitchford wasn't looking great and it felt like Drinkhall was keeping him in the doubles. Pauls game really lends itself to doubles. Pitchford was walking through on crutches and a moonboot on the Sunday so I hope he isnt to badly injured.

I was in the seats right by where Lily (and Cho) coach was - she was struggling after that first end, you could tell it wasnt going to plan - but something clicked after the second and she got it done comfortably in the end.
Maybe as it was mainly Europeans playing - the amount of yellow and red cards being dished out on the Saturday was funny. A lot of passion on display! :). The Saturday was almost more fun - lots of close games.

The prize money sucks big time, like really really bad - like the sport needs to pay more and a way to generate more income for these tournaments.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Ranefur was so relaxed - like he had turned up just for a knock :)

Agree his touch was incredible, and his backhand serve really gave everyone trouble with the variation.

As i said Cho - was just a different level - approach, his play, temperament - hes obviously played at a higher level and in that next bracket above of top players. But he went out and got the job done - even if something went against him he was focused on that next point. I think your right the occasion got to a lot of the Brits. Even before his injury Pitchford wasn't looking great and it felt like Drinkhall was keeping him in the doubles. Pauls game really lends itself to doubles. Pitchford was walking through on crutches and a moonboot on the Sunday so I hope he isnt to badly injured.

I was in the seats right by where Lily (and Cho) coach was - she was struggling after that first end, you could tell it wasnt going to plan - but something clicked after the second and she got it done comfortably in the end.
Maybe as it was mainly Europeans playing - the amount of yellow and red cards being dished out on the Saturday was funny. A lot of passion on display! :). The Saturday was almost more fun - lots of close games.

The prize money sucks big time, like really really bad - like the sport needs to pay more and a way to generate more income for these tournaments.
Agree with your thinking and think Pitch wouldn’t have got the job done and Drinkhall was nowhere near Ranefur never mind Cho. We said the same - Sat probably better!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Lily was excellent, fantastic performance, adapted really well when under pressure in both the semi and the final. She was also top drawer off the table, gave the fans lots of time for selfies and signatures after the matches and in the fanzone. A class act, crowd loved her.

Cho was really high quality, just seemed to have levels he could dig into when the points got intense. And he did a great job managing Ranfeur's serve / 3rd ball, unlike almost everyone else.

Great event, hope WTT come back soon!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Lily was excellent, fantastic performance, adapted really well when under pressure in both the semi and the final. She was also top drawer off the table, gave the fans lots of time for selfies and signatures after the matches and in the fanzone. A class act, crowd loved her.

Cho was really high quality, just seemed to have levels he could dig into when the points got intense. And he did a great job managing Ranfeur's serve / 3rd ball, unlike almost everyone else.

Great event, hope WTT come back soon!
Cho’s service game was also a cut above I thought.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I read on a friends post (not on TTD) that around 10% of the total prize winnings (usd22500) goes to the 4 winners (2 x singes and 2 x double pairs)

so Lily walks away with 650USD (and 125 points)

The 125 points worth way more than the 650USD (I doubt if the 650 is enough to cover Lily's entry fee/costs + coaches cost for the tournament, yet alone flying there)
125 point would be Lily's second highest point, and push her to 125-10= + 115 on her 520 and push her to almost top 30.
Not much of a climb, but at least she can take away 125 points, but I can't say the same about the cash prize.
Edit: I worked out, after deduction entry fee, hotel costs + withholding tax, I reckon Lily owes WTT more money than she won. haha.

oh, and also, Lily's first world championship title (according to her club), so well done Lily

1707139693925.png

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I read on a friends post (not on TTD) that around 10% of the total prize winnings (usd22500) goes to the 4 winners (2 x singes and 2 x double pairs)

so Lily walks away with 650USD (and 125 points)

The 125 points worth way more than the 650USD (I doubt if the 650 is enough to cover Lily's entry fee/costs + coaches cost for the tournament, yet alone flying there)
125 point would be Lily's second highest point, and push her to 125-10= + 115 on her 520 and push her to almost top 30.
Not much of a climb, but at least she can take away 125 points, but I can't say the same about the cash prize.
Edit: I worked out, after deduction entry fee, hotel costs + withholding tax, I reckon Lily owes WTT more money than she won. haha.

oh, and also, Lily's first world championship title (according to her club), so well done Lily

View attachment 28313
Wow that's depressing.. 650 for an international tournament

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Why would anyone encourage their kid to become a professional table tennis player for that pittance?

This sport does itself no favours.
I also think that TT does itself no favours in terms of commercial promotion - the WTT Manchester was attended by maybe 2-300 people (die hard fans mostly) and there is not a lot of fun activity to keep things interesting, no bars, no action replays, commentary etc.

In all honesty if you weren't a die hard fan there's no way you would be entertained. I look to MLTT to see how well these events can be run and how well they are promoting TT as a fun event to go to. Even the format is better and more entertaining IMO. Without the commercials and better promotion then the prize money will always be low.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I also think that TT does itself no favours in terms of commercial promotion - the WTT Manchester was attended by maybe 2-300 people (die hard fans mostly) and there is not a lot of fun activity to keep things interesting, no bars, no action replays, commentary etc.

In all honesty if you weren't a die hard fan there's no way you would be entertained. I look to MLTT to see how well these events can be run and how well they are promoting TT as a fun event to go to. Even the format is better and more entertaining IMO. Without the commercials and better promotion then the prize money will always be low.
you see, you saw the real problem

people all think with Ma Long or FZD or WCQ,, that is table tennis.
you take out 20 males and 20 females, the rest of the structure is a joke.

England is the home of TT and for a feeder to be there with so little of everything is really a massive concern
but obviously, the big guys only want the smashes, the champions, the finals and the world cups, which is 90% in Asia and mostly in 1 country or where that 1 country has good relationships with.
The rest of the world and the rest of the 1000s of players, are literally just window dressers.

Back then, it used to be 1 country dominating the playing field, but nowadays, it is 1 country dominating the playing field and dominating hosting rights to the "majors".
They tried to copy tennis, but imagine if your 4 majors is all in Asia....think about that

There are a lot more good things within domestic structures, but sadly for players like Lily, she needs WR points for Olympics.
no one aims to go to feeder to earn money and I can say the same for contender.
without support or sponsors, taking part in WTT is a get poor scheme

This user has no status.

Completely agree mate.

I took my wife on Friday, by lunch she was so bored she decided to get a metrolink home.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
you see, you saw the real problem

people all think with Ma Long or FZD or WCQ,, that is table tennis.
you take out 20 males and 20 females, the rest of the structure is a joke.

England is the home of TT and for a feeder to be there with so little of everything is really a massive concern
but obviously, the big guys only want the smashes, the champions, the finals and the world cups, which is 90% in Asia and mostly in 1 country or where that 1 country has good relationships with.
The rest of the world and the rest of the 1000s of players, are literally just window dressers.

Back then, it used to be 1 country dominating the playing field, but nowadays, it is 1 country dominating the playing field and dominating hosting rights to the "majors".
They tried to copy tennis, but imagine if your 4 majors is all in Asia....think about that

There are a lot more good things within domestic structures, but sadly for players like Lily, she needs WR points for Olympics.
no one aims to go to feeder to earn money and I can say the same for contender.
without support or sponsors, taking part in WTT is a get poor scheme
Makes sense, but needs to change. Even in UK, our top premier league is managed very poorly - it is shown on TTE (Table tennis England TV) - if you are lucky you see every other point as the feed is dropping in and out constantly and the quality is no better than an iPhone court side. Commentary, if there is any is laughable. The surrounding structure and support to build this league is laughable and so even die hard fans don't bother with it and not many would know what is going on or who is winning unless they have a specific interest (for me I like to watch my coach play)

If we can't get that right, bigger events are just not going to happen. The National champs is the same, just no energy or excitement.

Reactions: mikeytt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Completely agree mate.

I took my wife on Friday, by lunch she was so bored she decided to get a metrolink home.
ITTF needs to get rid of so many WTT events.
Most of them are useless and are so small, it shouldn't even hold the "WTT" badge.

ITTF should just focus on world champs and world majors.
not national opens.

if we look at sports, the biggest sports base are all domestic leagues.
ITTF is trying to do something that is impossible. TT can never become like Tennis and TT's biggest fan base or money, outside of China, is all club table tennis circuit.

So, ITTF should rather bring, say, Japanese or Korean, or Chinese domestics leagues to say England, or USA.
Do what the NBA or soccer guys are doing with international fixtures between two clubs.
This will grow the sport way faster than hosting these, feeders or contenders.

the brand/image must be the club teams. and ITTF should use these brands and not trying to create a new brand (WTT). Without Chinese corporate spending on WTT "majors", WTT is really an empty shell