WTT Finals Women Nagoya 2023

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
WTT-FINALS-QUALIFIED-SUN-CHEN_a77ecbad-f604-4159-abed-5b07d25e3267.jpg

This user has no status.
With 6 CNT playing singles, it seems a bit pointless. Most likely the CNT will occupy the semi finals.
look better, 7 CNT players.

you could be forgiven to add HAN Ying, YANG Xiaoxin, and JOO Cheonhui to them as ex-CNT players.

and based on the gene pool, add Miwa HARIMOTO

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
More seriously, the draw has interesting matchups. Measuring how far Miwa has come in her lifelong quest to topple the CNT is one. Whether Hayata has any hope of beating a top CNT player not named Wang Yidi is another. Whether Shin Yubin is ready to challenge the bottom of the top is another. I wouldn't be surprised if the answers were not ready, not ready, not ready. But it is in Japan, maybe the crowd can do something for the home players. Mima will definitely need it vs Diaz

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
More seriously, the draw has interesting matchups. Measuring how far Miwa has come in her lifelong quest to topple the CNT is one. Whether Hayata has any hope of beating a top CNT player not named Wang Yidi is another. Whether Shin Yubin is ready to challenge the bottom of the top is another. I wouldn't be surprised if the answers were not ready, not ready, not ready. But it is in Japan, maybe the crowd can do something for the home players. Mima will definitely need it vs Diaz
Mima vs Díaz will be a really intereating one! I think Mima's flat pips BH will be tough for Díaz to punch, negating one of her weapons.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
This was the last meeting I believe - the set score doesn't show the degree to which the gap closed:
She's gotten a lot more well rounded, with a deadly FH and a consistent BH loop. That's allowed her to get more consistent results overall. With that said, she's not better at those things than the other top women, and what allows her to pull upsets is her BH punch. If she can't use that and gets into simply a match of service/receive and consistency with other top women then over the course of a match she'd be at a disadvantage still.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
She's gotten a lot more well rounded, with a deadly FH and a consistent BH loop. That's allowed her to get more consistent results overall. With that said, she's not better at those things than the other top women, and what allows her to pull upsets is her BH punch. If she can't use that and gets into simply a match of service/receive and consistency with other top women then over the course of a match she'd be at a disadvantage still.
Diaz's backhand punch is her signature shot, but I think her creative and feeling game (including some potentially illegal/borderline serves) is overall underrated and that she can can win a match of serve/receive and consistency over other top women, especially when she takes special attention to remain fit (I have heard historically they order a lot of food almost everywhere they train so her fitness specific focus drives a lot of variation in her play). She is extremely consistent so I don't agree that she can't beat other top women without her backhand punch, she travels a lot to China for training don't get me wrong, but even with that, there is still a gap between her and the top players for high level training which she has to make up before we know what her final form reasonably is.

This user has no status.
I'll be in Nagoya on Friday ! i will be able to see all the 8 matches ! i hope I can get a photo with Bernadette but it will be difficult i don't have a premium seat...
Can you take pictures of the venue? Would be nice to see what it looks like and what's there for fans.

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
I'll be in Nagoya on Friday ! i will be able to see all the 8 matches ! i hope I can get a photo with Bernadette but it will be difficult i don't have a premium seat...
You got a ticket for the "final day"? I'm so jelly!

Jan 2018
In order of interest and anticipation:
Quarter 4 > 2 > 1 > 3

If Szocs could play like she did at WTT CS Macao 2023 in their first meeting then CXT is gonna be in trouble even if she comes prepared the second time.

YXX actually had a chance to go the distance with WMY at Singapore Smash 2023. Best chance to prove why she is the only "European" inside top 10 without continental points. Anything is possible given Diaz never took 2 games before XTWC 2023 last week.

SYB stands little chance given her condition, unless WYD shoots herself in the foot.

Diaz could beat Ito given her form at XTWC 2023.

CM is the second "easiest" among the top 4 CNT players for Hayata, but her game was a complete mess at XTWC 2023 after the "model change" and will see how the "system restore" helps.

Joo Cheonhui stood no chance against Han Ying last time so not holding my breath here unless she has worked on that.

2nd meeting for SYS and Harimoto (Miwa considers the XD at XTWC 2023 their first meeting WTT SCT Lanzhou 2023 was their first) so will see how far she can push SYS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gozo Aruna