WTT Finals Men Doha 2023

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Can you show some examples of this "blocking the view", I havent noticed it.
61a4462309f790524e2b93094af3d7ca7bcbd5d6.jpg

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
FZD and WCQ have lost the same number of foreign matches in MS and MT for the Paris 2024 period. Of the top 5 on the CNT, WCQ and LJK have lost the most and FZD the least against top 20 players.

截至多哈,男队本周期外战胜率 (CNT Men's Foreign Matches Win Rate for Paris 2024 period as of WTT Finals Men Doha 2023)
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/8846953815

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Well, we can sum it up. Wang was in excellent form at this tournament and won everyone very convincingly. Only Felix could at least oppose him with something. It's a shame that the meeting between these players took place at the very beginning of the tournament...
Harimoto looked competitive with WCQ, at least in the first two games. Whatever he was doing didn't allow WCQ to break out the heavy artillery or get in a groove (until Game 3 at least) and WCQ to make a lot more unforced errors than in any other match. It was an ugly match all around, but was promising for Harimoto to be able to force that sort of dynamic. A few key balls going his way and he could've been up the first 2 games. The quality of WCQ's play would've eventually shown through for the vast majority of circumstances though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
who can come close to wang chuqin when he is in this form?
FZD could if he was in shape. But apparently he celebrated the New Year holidays well... LYJ could have, but he was also out of shape in this tournament. Ma Long will probably no longer be able to compete with WCQ. The Year of the Dragon will finally take the dragon Ma from the tennis Olympus...
Recently, Korean players, who were not at this tournament, have improved greatly.
As for European players, Felix has potential, but he is still young. Darko also looked and played very well at this tournament.
But still, today Wang is a deserved champion and we must give him his due. Years of training were not in vain.
But everything flows and everything changes, so we will see what happens next.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Harimoto looked competitive with WCQ, at least in the first two games. Whatever he was doing didn't allow WCQ to break out the heavy artillery or get in a groove (until Game 3 at least) and WCQ to make a lot more unforced errors than in any other match. It was an ugly match all around, but was promising for Harimoto to be able to force that sort of dynamic. A few key balls going his way and he could've been up the first 2 games. The quality of WCQ's play would've eventually shown through for the vast majority of circumstances though.
Well, I don’t know, I’m far from a fan of Harimoto’s playing style and his screams 😆. I think his early success in tournaments was based on speed, which he doesn't have now. In return for speed, he gained invaluable experience. Yes, experience is very important and if you want to play better, you have to compete and play with the best players. But to defeat these players you need something more.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Very true, even WCQ admitted it and said he didn't play well in the match. I guess Hari's new tactics confounded him a bit. Maybe if Hari had stuck to what they anticipated, it'll have been an easier 3-0.

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Olympic winner is whoever is in the best form + plays the hardest + easiest draw among the crop of players in the top 20.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
I've always thought his swashbuckling turn the corner counter-drive style looked his Xu Xin's at his best + a backhand that could contest with the best without breaking much sweat or running helter-skelter.

This picture seals it for me. Looks exactly like Xu Xin's posture doing the shovel serve.

China got their shakehand Xu Xin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
This pisses me off.

TT needs something like eagle eye for tennis but it will just keep track of the ball during serve, if it looses sight of it, BEEP BEEP MOTHERFUCKER.
The Chinese already built it and I remember it being tested at a tournament once in China - it could provide stats like ball spin etc. as well. But after it faulted Ma Long fairly often, it was never heard from again. That's my explanation and I am sticking to it.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012

TTR system consisting of 6 cameras is found a somewhat costly attainment, not easy to mount. Again, it gonna to dethrone Chinese all celebrities for abusing the service rule.

Last edited:
Reactions: AchyGeorge
This user has no status.
Fan Zhendong serves too clean tbh. If nobody is actually enforcing the serve rules he might as well learn a few illegal serves. He is the king of the topspin rallies and even got close in most games vs WCQ. If not for all those cheap points from misreading WCQ's serve, I think FZD would have won.

But this FZD definitely seems like a kinda overworked FZD. He doesn't seem to care about this title as much as he does for the Olympics, but he should be very wary about giving confidence to WCQ at this point.

I have a feeling that FZD is keeping most of his weapons up his sleeve to be unleashed closer to the Olympics and is intentionally holding back some stuff as a surprise (kinda like how Ma Long does it). FFS he was trying chopblocks and even a sideunderspin loop in the 4th set. Whereas WCQ is desperate for any wins (to justify his inclusion in the Olympics over Ma Long, as WCQ doesnt have a WTTC title) and is going 120% in every match he plays and using up all of his best weapons (for eg his hook serve)

I doubt WCQ can keep up this form forever.

This user has no status.
Very true, even WCQ admitted it and said he didn't play well in the match. I guess Hari's new tactics confounded him a bit. Maybe if Hari had stuck to what they anticipated, it'll have been an easier 3-0.
Harimoto had a new serve with some serious heavy af underspin and was doing a lot of alternating heavy underspin / no spin pushes. Unfortunately Harimoto also succumbed to the crazy WCQ serve (borderline illegal to downright illegal in most instances already especially serving over the table and hiding ball with his head). WCQ is also smart about it because I've seen plenty of instances where he serves legally once the umpire is on him, and then goes back to illegal serving after a while. So he actually can control how "illegal" he wants to serve.

Reactions: turbozed
This user has no status.
It's easy to ensure you have a legal serve without hiding. Simply take away the left hand, and make sure the ball passes in front of your face as it falls, not behind your head near the ear.

Tbh WCQ is taking a big risk too. What if the Paris Olympics umpires are super strict with ball hiding and pretty much faults every single serve he does? There could be a worse repeat of the Ding Ning saga.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Fan Zhendong serves too clean tbh. If nobody is actually enforcing the serve rules he might as well learn a few illegal serves. He is the king of the topspin rallies and even got close in most games vs WCQ. If not for all those cheap points from misreading WCQ's serve, I think FZD would have won.

But this FZD definitely seems like a kinda overworked FZD. He doesn't seem to care about this title as much as he does for the Olympics, but he should be very wary about giving confidence to WCQ at this point.

I have a feeling that FZD is keeping most of his weapons up his sleeve to be unleashed closer to the Olympics and is intentionally holding back some stuff as a surprise (kinda like how Ma Long does it). FFS he was trying chopblocks and even a sideunderspin loop in the 4th set. Whereas WCQ is desperate for any wins (to justify his inclusion in the Olympics over Ma Long, as WCQ doesnt have a WTTC title) and is going 120% in every match he plays and using up all of his best weapons (for eg his hook serve)

I doubt WCQ can keep up this form forever.
It seems to me that Occam's razor is at work here. If Fan looked and played worse than usual, then he was simply out of shape.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Harimoto had a new serve with some serious heavy af underspin and was doing a lot of alternating heavy underspin / no spin pushes. Unfortunately Harimoto also succumbed to the crazy WCQ serve (borderline illegal to downright illegal in most instances already especially serving over the table and hiding ball with his head). WCQ is also smart about it because I've seen plenty of instances where he serves legally once the umpire is on him, and then goes back to illegal serving after a while. So he actually can control how "illegal" he wants to serve.
Smart