WTT Singapore Smash 2023

M51

says Poly balls still suck.

M51

says Poly balls still suck.
Sep 2012
He did make FZD look almost as bad in the WTTC trials, dude is just in the zone right now.
Nah. Ma Long wrecked FZD in the trials, but that right there was masterclass at how you dominate over a peer.

Dang was no peer. Ding literally did not look like a man who does this for a living.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Aruna kind of fell apart after dropping the lead in the 2nd game...

One of things I really enjoy about Aruna is that he seldom (ever?) throws tantrums at the table when he's losing.

It looked to me like, in this match, Hugo played very well and Aruna was not having his best day. Even so, there were no outbursts of frustration, no staring at his bat as if it did something wrong (like so many players do), no petulance directed at anyone. He just accepted that he was being beaten by the better player on the day, and that was that.

A model professional sportsman!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Well you can say that, but the record speaks a different language. While Darko won barely once, he got shit on 3 times by Hugo at the international stage.
On top Darko loses in the Bundesliga on a regular basis against Hugo. I suppose you underestimate the difference between these 2 players.
Darkos fh is way weaker and inconsistent compared with Hugos. Even if you might say Darkso bh is better than Hugos, that is by far not enough to get on his level. Just quicky compare their TTBL matches and you see what i am talking about.
Yet Darko plays Ma Long way better than Hugo ever has and even Harimoto as well. I think you are misreading the dynamics of a particular matchup and using it to deprecate a player whose style you don't like. The issue is in the specifics on the matchup, even Darko's backhand vs topspin wasn't so good until recently.

In any case, they will play again.

I have watched Alexis Lebrun vs Aruna @ WS R32, I noticed this trend. I was not sure and perhaps I think it is a fluke. Now I will share my observation, empirically of course:

1. Youngster play-style always go for speed & power ( modern TT strategy ). There is a more emphasis on power and speed over spin. They rely a lot on borrowed power.
2. Aruna always slow down the game with slow spinny shot.
3. This messes up these youngster's rhythm and timing causing a lot of unforced errors.
4. When player like Aruna go for slower stroke, there is less opportunity to borrow power for youngster to play with.
I've written it here before, a long time ago, but Harimoto's reaction time is a lot slower than his colleagues. Certainly his RH > FH movement is noticeably lower than his opponents of the same level

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
Great performance by Moregard there despite falling short. The highest level and most competitive men's match of the tournament so far. FZD had two amazing returns in the 6th when Moregard had him dead to rights or we might've went to a game 7.
Moregardh had some chances there - his BH sidespin chopblock was amazingly effective - FZD even went to the extents of just looping to his FH to avoid that chopblock...

Damn that sidespin chopblock is such a good stroke to have!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Fan looks injured so I would bet on Wang. But otherwise, I always bet on Fan. He is just too consistent for most of his compatriots when he is on.
FZD had a tough time against Truls. You have to give glory to Truls. He has improved so much.

Compared to 2021 Houston champ where FZD won 4-1, FZD had a much tougher time.

FZD used to hit the ball much earlier, closer to the table. He's looping more from a further distance. His old style worked much more effectively.

Once FZD backs off away from the table, WCQ will eat him alive

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
FZD had a tough time against Truls. You have to give glory to Truls. He has improved so much.

FZD used to hit the ball much earlier, closer to the table. He's looping more from a further distance. His old style worked much more effectively.

FZD won 4-0 in Houston.

It is more important for Fan to peak in Durban - he has done his job. In fact, all the top CNT players have done their job. Only Ma Long has a match vs Hugo.

I almost feel as if Wang Hao coaching Ma Long has given Ma Long an edge/fix to his backhand that he didn't have before. I wish there was more reporting on this.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
FZD won 4-0 in Houston.

It is more important for Fan to peak in Durban - he has done his job. In fact, all the top CNT players have done their job. Only Ma Long has a match vs Hugo.

I almost feel as if Wang Hao coaching Ma Long has given Ma Long an edge/fix to his backhand that he didn't have before. I wish there was more reporting on this.

Ops you are right,4-0.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011

I think Fan's current style would suit a switch to a 968 type blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Не можете знайти потік тут, у Великобританії?

I've written it here before, a long time ago, but Harimoto's reaction time is a lot slower than his colleagues. Certainly his RH > FH movement is noticeably lower than his opponents of the same level
Yes, that is right. He has grown, gained weight and can no longer play fast tennis at the table as he did in childhood. At the same time, he has not gained power yet. I think that he will gradually be pushed out of the top 10 players in the world, but not that far, because the experience of competing at the highest level is far from every player, and this means a lot.

Reactions: Metaxa
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
I think that in Ma Long's game with Hugo Calderano, Ma Long will win, because he has much more variation in spin and speed, including through the use of sticky rubber, which will force Hugo to make more mistakes than usual. In addition, Ma Long is a thinking and flexible player who has already come up with tactics and strategy to play with Hugo, who plays in the same style, which is why Ma Long has been so high all these years. Although I myself am far from a fan of Ma Long and consider the most talented player to be Zhāng Jìkē, who was eliminated by the chinese communist party for his flamboyance and brash character, nevertheless, it is worth recognizing Ma Long's ability to find weaknesses in the enemy's defense.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
I think that in Ma Long's game with Hugo Calderano, Ma Long will win, because he has much more variation in spin and speed, including through the use of sticky rubber, which will force Hugo to make more mistakes than usual. In addition, Ma Long is a thinking and flexible player who has already come up with tactics and strategy to play with Hugo, who plays in the same style, which is why Ma Long has been so high all these years. Although I myself am far from a fan of Ma Long and consider the most talented player to be Zhāng Jìkē, who was eliminated by the chinese communist party for his flamboyance and brash character, nevertheless, it is worth recognizing Ma Long's ability to find weaknesses in the enemy's defense.
I think that Hugo can beat Ma Long and also win the final match in this tournament.

Reactions: Metaxa