Choosing my next rubber as an all round player and a step up from mark v? Roughly 1.8

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Well I have had a set up of ALL blade Donic Allplay and Mark V 1.8 mm both sides. I like this set up but now I want to see if I can go a bit further and try myself at some other rubber while being an all round player, as a context I might prefer chopping and cutting in the long haul but I do enjoy my top spins or waiting for a mistake, I play differently with some people. My biggest thing is waiting for the mistake though, but as someone that would like to continue being all-round what rubber can I get from this rough selection? Oh I haven't mentioned I would like it to be 1.8 mm if possible because I want to still be able to cut but still have speed/power in my smashes and top spins.

So the rubbers are in order of preference Donic bluefire M3(Since this is the softest rubber but still faster than mark v right?), Rakza 7/7 soft ( I don't know which really), Mark V HPS, Yasaka Rising Dragon, and lastly a Donic Acuda/coppa but I think these are just offensive rubbers. I was going to say Xiom Vega Pro/Europe but many reviews say it's bad for chopping and that's something I enjoy doing. I was going to add in Marder 1 or 2 but these rubbers have next to no reviews and know no one with them, being under defensive section a 2.0 would be good for all round but I wouldn't know, I've seen people with 1.0 mm smash/top spin really well on a mistake.

My first choice as of right now is Donic Bluefire M3 from reviews and how they say it plays and being all round type, I would get it at 1.8, maybe 2.0 but I have no clue if I should or shouldn't. My second choicd is Rakza 7 either regular or soft, I'm not sure which one but they both have good reviews and I believe the 1.8 rubber is described as having control and being all round, and it's hard to beat the good things they say about it, but do you guys recommend it over the bluefire M3? If you guys have any other rubber suggestions I would greatly appreciate hearing them out. I have my eyes set on my first 2 options and any advice is greatly appreciated!

P.S. I forgot to mention I have only used ALL type blades, should I keep sticking with that? I guess it depends if I get a fast rubber or a slow one?

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I went from Mark V/Mendo to Rakza 7 and 7 soft. Great rubbers but I can't really say how they are to chop with. Personally I would have gone with Xiom Vega if I could choose again when I switched from Mark V. But I also don't chop, if you like chopping why aren't you playing with a defensive rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I went from Mark V/Mendo to Rakza 7 and 7 soft. Great rubbers but I can't really say how they are to chop with. Personally I would have gone with Xiom Vega if I could choose again when I switched from Mark V. But I also don't chop, if you like chopping why aren't you playing with a defensive rubber?

I would but I believe that defensive rubbers tend to be slow, I wouldn't know how a defensive rubbers plays to be honest, even less that there are very few rubbers labeled defensive I know of that I would get. The only one that comes to mind would be like Marder I or II but there are so little reviews I have barley heard of what people think of the rubber so far. Thanks for your mentioning of Rakza 7, people do say they can chop with it, can you say whats the difference sbetween the two if you have to give some? Is one slower in the sense?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I would but I believe that defensive rubbers tend to be slow, I wouldn't know how a defensive rubbers plays to be honest, even less that there are very few rubbers labeled defensive I know of that I would get. The only one that comes to mind would be like Marder I or II but there are so little reviews I have barley heard of what people think of the rubber so far. Thanks for your mentioning of Rakza 7, people do say they can chop with it, can you say whats the difference sbetween the two if you have to give some? Is one slower in the sense?

Sounds like your type of game would benefit from using long pips on one side and a regular rubber on the other side. You could then fiddle with the bat and chose the side of the bat that suits the stroke you want to play. Chop with pips and loop and serve with the regular rubber. If you want to step up one notch with the regular rubbers you could either take the small step and get MAX thickness sponge MarkV or as you yourself suggested get one of the softer tensors (Stiga Calibra Sound, Rakza7 soft, Tenergy 05FX, Xiom Vega Europe ).

When I was younger and we played with the 38mm ball I used to play with an Antiloop/MarkV-combo. Now I am playing more of an OFF game an using Rakza 7 and Tenergy 64 and can confirm that tensor style rubbers are not that good for chopping.

This user has no status.
Well I have had a set up of ALL blade Donic Allplay and Mark V 1.8 mm both sides. I like this set up but now I want to see if I can go a bit further and try myself at some other rubber while being an all round player, as a context I might prefer chopping and cutting in the long haul but I do enjoy my top spins or waiting for a mistake, I play differently with some people. My biggest thing is waiting for the mistake though, but as someone that would like to continue being all-round what rubber can I get from this rough selection? Oh I haven't mentioned I would like it to be 1.8 mm if possible because I want to still be able to cut but still have speed/power in my smashes and top spins.

So the rubbers are in order of preference Donic bluefire M3(Since this is the softest rubber but still faster than mark v right?), Rakza 7/7 soft ( I don't know which really), Mark V HPS, Yasaka Rising Dragon, and lastly a Donic Acuda/coppa but I think these are just offensive rubbers. I was going to say Xiom Vega Pro/Europe but many reviews say it's bad for chopping and that's something I enjoy doing. I was going to add in Marder 1 or 2 but these rubbers have next to no reviews and know no one with them, being under defensive section a 2.0 would be good for all round but I wouldn't know, I've seen people with 1.0 mm smash/top spin really well on a mistake.

My first choice as of right now is Donic Bluefire M3 from reviews and how they say it plays and being all round type, I would get it at 1.8, maybe 2.0 but I have no clue if I should or shouldn't. My second choicd is Rakza 7 either regular or soft, I'm not sure which one but they both have good reviews and I believe the 1.8 rubber is described as having control and being all round, and it's hard to beat the good things they say about it, but do you guys recommend it over the bluefire M3? If you guys have any other rubber suggestions I would greatly appreciate hearing them out. I have my eyes set on my first 2 options and any advice is greatly appreciated!

P.S. I forgot to mention I have only used ALL type blades, should I keep sticking with that? I guess it depends if I get a fast rubber or a slow one?
fezz? [emoji4]

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The rubbers you are using are actually great for your purposes. Truthfully, they are better than any of the rubbers you are thinking of for what you actually do.

What I would do is keep the same rubbers and up the blade 1/2 notch. Blades like:

Yasaka Sweden Extra
Stiga Allround Evolution

Or a little more expensive but a there is something that would make it worth it:

OSP Virtuoso Off-

The option to get that blade with the larger head size gives you much more feel and control. A larger head size is something that most real choppers use and want but it gives you extra offensive potential and way more feel as well as added control.

The first two options are great and pretty inexpensive. The OSP option is may really help both your chopping and your Offense.

The large head size on the OSP Virtuoso Off- is 150x159mm. I would even consider asking them if they can make one with a head size of 152x159mm. That option may cost a few extra $$, or really €€, but a head size like that with a blade that had the feel and control of an OSP Virtuoso Off- would be an amazing asset to how you play. And that blade would work really well with your current rubbers. It would play like a dream for you.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:

MDP

This user has no status.

MDP

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 1 reviews
Marder I is really slow, so this is a good defensive rubber. Compared to mark V : more spin, less speed/catapult (some compare it to butterfly Tackiness C).
Marder II is faster and more in line with the other rubbers you mentioned. Compared to mark V : more spin, more speed.

Rubbers like vega europe, rakza, bluefire, ... are not that great for chopping, but it's possible, just not their strongest asset. Marder II would be a tad bit better for chopping, but is still an offensive rubber. Either way you'll need to adjust to the extra spin and spin-sensitivity of all the rubbers. As an allround player all these rubbers will be ok. If you want to focus more on defense, go marder I, if you want to focus more on offense go Vega Europe, Marder II (or Rakza soft). The other ones (bluefire, vega pro, Rakza) have less control and are a lot heavier.

(I have personal experience with Mark V, Vega Europe, Vega Pro, Bluefire M3, Marder II, butterfly tackiness C (~marder I), ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Sounds like your type of game would benefit from using long pips on one side and a regular rubber on the other side. You could then fiddle with the bat and chose the side of the bat that suits the stroke you want to play. Chop with pips and loop and serve with the regular rubber. If you want to step up one notch with the regular rubbers you could either take the small step and get MAX thickness sponge MarkV or as you yourself suggested get one of the softer tensors (Stiga Calibra Sound, Rakza7 soft, Tenergy 05FX, Xiom Vega Europe ).

When I was younger and we played with the 38mm ball I used to play with an Antiloop/MarkV-combo. Now I am playing more of an OFF game an using Rakza 7 and Tenergy 64 and can confirm that tensor style rubbers are not that good for chopping.

I was thinking having one side defensive and one aggresive but my strongest hand is also my best chopping/cutting hand which is my back hand lol. I might have made a mistake focusing on chopping so much but it's what's giving me my most wins by chopping and cutting the ball. I even a game out by cutting and top spinning around the same. My only issue right now is top spinning an underspin which when I do manage to get I will be doing that a bit more. I thank you for saying that the newer tenser rubbers aren't great for chopping and might just go for something softer like the M3 or Rakza 7 soft, but I am also looking into the defensive rubber marder I but the only thing is the ball is going to be slower so I'm deciding.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Rakza 7 soft is a great rubber but clearly faster and bouncier than Mark V. It seems something like a modern, tensioned-Markv V GPS. In 1.8 you'll probably be able to chop consistently with an allround blade but I don't think that rubber is meant to chop with.

Thanks for the reply, I might be leaning for this Rakza 7 soft or Bluefire M3 since they are both soft and I want to be able to still chop/cut but I do want to lean more on aggressive top spins and then chop a top spin at a moments notice in the middle of it. But I don't want to give up the ability to cut/shop 3-4 times in a row, thanks for the reply. Leaning on M3 Rakza 7 soft maybe a defensive like Marder 1 but I will be giving up speed for this rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016

I mean I want to top spin someones chops and be aggressive, but I don't want to give up chopping/cutting when I can, I would get a defensive rubber but getting a slower rubber makes me hesitant and don't want to adopt the complete defensive style.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Marder I is really slow, so this is a good defensive rubber. Compared to mark V : more spin, less speed/catapult (some compare it to butterfly Tackiness C).
Marder II is faster and more in line with the other rubbers you mentioned. Compared to mark V : more spin, more speed.

Rubbers like vega europe, rakza, bluefire, ... are not that great for chopping, but it's possible, just not their strongest asset. Marder II would be a tad bit better for chopping, but is still an offensive rubber. Either way you'll need to adjust to the extra spin and spin-sensitivity of all the rubbers. As an allround player all these rubbers will be ok. If you want to focus more on defense, go marder I, if you want to focus more on offense go Vega Europe, Marder II (or Rakza soft). The other ones (bluefire, vega pro, Rakza) have less control and are a lot heavier.

(I have personal experience with Mark V, Vega Europe, Vega Pro, Bluefire M3, Marder II, butterfly tackiness C (~marder I), ...

Sounds awesome, Honestly I want to try and be an all round aggressive player, I could go with the bluefire M3, Rakza 7 soft, or Marder II. I would be sticking with the 1.8 mm unless you would recommend otherwise? Which would you recommend from these 3 if you had a choice? I don't want to include Vega because they say chopping isn't great on it.

MDP

This user has no status.

MDP

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 1 reviews
I have no experience with rakza soft.
Bluefire m3 i wouldnt recommend (if you want donic rubber then go for acuda, more control).
So that leaves marder I or marder II...

But anyway, reading about rubbers can be misleading and make things overly complex. Reviews and advice from people you dont know, can only take you so far... So just follow your gut feeling and buy something and stick to it.(or play with a racket of a clubmate and decide if you like it or not).

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Aging is a killer
Tenergy is always the answer!

But seriously, I know of 3 strong players with your game. they all used Mark V for years then moved to Tenergy (1.9 I think) on an allround blade. The best chopper in England is Joanna Parker, now on a long sabbatical, she uses tenergy in her mostly chopping game.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
But seriously, I know of 3 strong players with your game. they all used Mark V for years then moved to Tenergy (1.9 I think) on an allround blade. The best chopper in England is Joanna Parker, now on a long sabbatical, she uses tenergy in her mostly chopping game.

Haha Tenergy, I wouldn't have thought that it was good to chop with those rubbers and the whole cutting with tensior or tension rubbers has made it a bit tougher, if I had more confidence I would use 1.9 but I wouldn't do that as of now, I might go half way, the above posts are telling me to go with my gut and something tells me since I like Mark V I would like to play with Rakza 7 or Rakza 7 soft in 1.8. Just my gut feeling since it's also possible to cut with those. I didn't know there were good players with this type of game style. Once I'm able to top spin an underspin though thats when I might top spin everything a bit more. So using an offensive rubber like Rakza 7 could be good to progress.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016

After some thought I might be convinced with an allround defensive kind of play but not sure what kind of rubbers to go for that are inverted? You have any recommendations? A rubber I've seen recommended is the Xiom Yanus DF which sounds good as a hybrid with speed and control but only comes in 1.5 and 2.0 so I'll just have to see whcih. If anything I have looked into the Nittaku Moristo DF which looks good as well, not a fan of having a slow rubber but it is labeled as a bit faster than regular defense rubbers, I do like chopping and hitting their mistake, but still retaining some top spin and loops.

Last edited:
says Aging is a killer
The key is in the blade

Haha Tenergy, I wouldn't have thought that it was good to chop with those rubbers and the whole cutting with tensior or tension rubbers has made it a bit tougher, if I had more confidence I would use 1.9 but I wouldn't do that as of now, I might go half way, the above posts are telling me to go with my gut and something tells me since I like Mark V I would like to play with Rakza 7 or Rakza 7 soft in 1.8. Just my gut feeling since it's also possible to cut with those. I didn't know there were good players with this type of game style. Once I'm able to top spin an underspin though thats when I might top spin everything a bit more. So using an offensive rubber like Rakza 7 could be good to progress.

I was surprised at first but it appears that Tenergy is very controllable against incoming shots when paired with a control blade. But didn't Joo also chop with his FH using Tenergy?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I was surprised at first but it appears that Tenergy is very controllable against incoming shots when paired with a control blade. But didn't Joo also chop with his FH using Tenergy?

I was tempted to mention that Joo chops with Tenergy and seems to do pretty well.

Also, I have a friend who chops pretty darn well with Tenergy.

Last edited: