Next step up from all round evolution

This user has no status.
I’m looking to step up from my current stiga all round evolution to something a bit faster. I’m trying to do things the right way, progress incrementally, and I feel I’m ready to try something new though I recognise I’m not a technically brilliant player and frankly never will be. On a good i day I can play all the basic shots but due to a progressive disability I’m never going to be a textbook advanced player, so I’m looking for a blade and rubber combo that will work with me and my issues as it were! I like to play an attacking game, more and more now further from the table. I was thinking of something like a Xiom offensive x, or perhaps going up to a clipper or similar? Or perhaps wiggle my toes in the starter end of the carbon world? What I would like (need?) is something that’s a noticeable step up from my all round evolution but not silly fast which I clearly don’t need or have the skill set to use. Budget up to £100 but ideally less. Or do I up my rubber instead from vega pro to a faster tensor type option?

Reactions: allfj
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The truth is that sometimes, the reason why you can't hit basic shots consistently is because you aren't using a carbon blade. What some people use to knock a carbon blade (quick rebound) actually helps some players with worse technique play better if they focus on their range of ball control and learn to touch balls better and use their arms more effectively. So the real question is whether you play topspins strokes and how often you train. Because with a disability, you might be surprised that a faster blade like a 7ply (I would start with a clipper clone like the Bernadette Szocs blade) or even a much faster blade makes you play much better if you focus on the control elements as you don't have ti play as hard to get speed. Rubber choice is more critical and I think that finding something like Hybrid MK with tons of control is best when using a fast blade to start

But the main thing is whether you train a lot or not. It takes time to adjust. But some people cant stand the adjustment period.

This user has no status.
If you can't consistently hit basic shots in (on all days), I personally don't recommend a carbon blade. If you want to step up your game you can go for slightly faster rubbers, that might be better then switching out your blade.
Thanks for your reply, would you have a particular rubber in mind, a step up from vega pro? Tbh I’m sure it’s fast enough, and I’m assuming t05 and the like are too fast, is there anything in between you’d suggest?

This user has no status.
A nice OFF- all wood blade with around 6.0mm thickness is probably a good bet. Clipper will feel maybe too thick and stiff coming from a flexy 5.4mm blade.

Xiom Offensive S, Tibhar Stratus Powerwood, Sanwei Fextra are all great.
Thanks for the reply, would you stick with same vega rubbers? And is one of those blades you suggest fastest/slowest? Many thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Thanks for the reply, would you stick with same vega rubbers? And is one of those blades you suggest fastest/slowest? Many thanks

Yeah just stay with the same rubbers so you can take note of the change of characteristics from your old blade.

Between those three blades, they are probably all around the same speed (hardness of each varies between 1300-1400 hz). They are all similar enough where which one you like will come down to your handle preference and the 'feel'

If you're determined to find the perfect one for you, then the Fextra is only $20 so you can use that as a reference. If you want a slightly smaller and flatter handle then go with the Xiom Offensive S. If you want a chunkier handle with less flare then go for the Powerwood. This is just my impressions from holding the flared versions of each (I only played with Fextra and spent a few moments holding the other two blades in a shop). Of course, you can sand down any handle to your liking, so it's better to err on the side of too big unless you have small hands.

This user has no status.
The truth is that sometimes, the reason why you can't hit basic shots consistently is because you aren't using a carbon blade. What some people use to knock a carbon blade (quick rebound) actually helps some players with worse technique play better if they focus on their range of ball control and learn to touch balls better and use their arms more effectively. So the real question is whether you play topspins strokes and how often you train. Because with a disability, you might be surprised that a faster blade like a 7ply (I would start with a clipper clone like the Bernadette Szocs blade) or even a much faster blade makes you play much better if you focus on the control elements as you don't have ti play as hard to get speed. Rubber choice is more critical and I think that finding something like Hybrid MK with tons of control is best when using a fast blade to start

But the main thing is whether you train a lot or not. It takes time to adjust. But some people cant stand the adjustment period.
Thanks for your reply, I try and play twice a week though of course it’s never enough. Interesting perspective, I totally get the attitude of perfecting technique etc before equipment but for some of us that’s never going to happen so we have to make the most of technology to help our physical limitations. So yes I play topspin strokes (but not as consistently as I’d like) and yes I train but not enough!

This user has no status.
Yeah just stay with the same rubbers so you can take note of the change of characteristics from your old blade.

Between those three blades, they are probably all around the same speed (hardness of each varies between 1300-1400 hz). They are all similar enough where which one you like will come down to your handle preference and the 'feel'

If you're determined to find the perfect one for you, then the Fextra is only $20 so you can use that as a reference. If you want a slightly smaller and flatter handle then go with the Xiom Offensive S. If you want a chunkier handle with less flare then go for the Powerwood. This is just my impressions from holding the flared versions of each (I only played with Fextra and spent a few moments holding the other two blades in a shop). Of course, you can sand down any handle to your liking, so it's better to err on the side of too big unless you have small hands.
Yup, makes sense, thanks for the help

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Thanks for your reply, is the Yeo considerably faster than say offensive s?

Never played with an Offensive S but know how the similar Korbel plays... depending on the weight of the blade there can be quite a difference e.g. Korbel can weigh anything from 80g to 100g (Clipper is in the same range), YEO from 86g to way over 90g.
Offensive S and YEO do have a standard head size 157 mm x 150 mm. Stratus Powerwood and Korbel 158 mm x 152 mm. So balance can be a bit different even with the same blade weights.
For me balance is more important than the overall weight. So if possible I would try to get my hands on these blades before buying them.

A very detailed review of the YEO can be found here: https://ttgearlab.com/2023/07/24/yasaka-ma-lin-carbon-ma-lin-extra-offensive-lab-test-report/
Speed wise YEO is a bit faster than a Korbel but this depends also on the blade weights but they are in the same class of all-wood OFF blades.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Two suggestions...

- Do the BEAST MOD on ur Allround Evolution. (this is taking off one of the handles, and filling in the hollow neck and handle pieces with hide glue and tiny wood sliver pieces)

Cost: Whatever a small bottle of hide glue and a heat gun cost... here in USA that is <10 USD for the hide glue and 20 USD for the heat gun. I would be surprised if your material costs are over 30 GBP.

This mod would step you up a level or two of pace and great feel.

- Get a Donic Persson Power Play V1 Senso (lower OFF- range 7 ply all wood blade with feel and spin potential) and slap on soft, modern dynamic rubbers.

At Tabletennis11.com you have an everyday price of 32 USD for the blade, and if you make a larger order, you get 30% off... Donic Bluestorm Z3 costs USD 37 after discount and Aurus Soft costs USD 27 after discount... which bring you under USD 100 for the entire bat new complete delivered... of course you may need to pay VAT being in Europe, so you are looking at right at GBP 100 with tax estimated if you pay 30% tax.

How high can you play with this setup? I would play Div 1 in England if i was there and this bat does EVERYTHING that I need it to. STRONG emphasis on spin (a four letter word that starts with an S) and an often overlooked feature about slower bats and softer rubber is that it is an ABSOLUTE BOSS of COUNTER at the table vs incoming spin or pace.

I personally use the PPP/Z3/Aurus soft combo on one of my main blades and can tell you with truth and firsthand observation that this is a capable setup appropriate for MANY players at MANY levels... if you want to spin more on first attack, this is a great setup... if you want to pound it close to the table, this is a great setup for that too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
Thanks for your reply, would you have a particular rubber in mind, a step up from vega pro? Tbh I’m sure it’s fast enough, and I’m assuming t05 and the like are too fast, is there anything in between you’d suggest?
I just got a nittaku fastarc g-1, its very controllable and is very comfortable for me. About inbetween as you said