A Better Rubber for Spin+Speed?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I'm quite new to table tennis equipment, and I have started using Donic Bluefire M1 Forehand and Bluefire M2 backhand for around 3 months now. I find the speed very astonishing with the M1 rubber paired with the Donic Perrson exclusive off blade. My forehand drives and forehand topspins easily land on the table, showing that my control is decent. But the spin of the M1 is not what I was hoping for. It takes a lot of effort to have spin with this rubber. I'm now hoping to find a rubber that has similar speed but more spin than the bluefire M1. As I said, I'm quite new to equipment, so I don't know if my blade doesn't provide the spin or if it's the rubber that needs more spin. What rubber should I try? (For Forehand)

Is MX-P a good rubber for this?
(I have a play style of mid-distance from the table, and sometimes lobbing with counter smashes.)

Also, I would want a better backhand rubber for consistency. Many of my shots go on the net or off the table with the M2 rubber. With consistency, it could have less speed but definitely some amount of spin in my shots. What backhand rubber should I get?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
I suggest not changing the rubber too fast 3 months is honestly a short time and you would just be wasting your money imo. Of course if you have lots of money to spare or you play on the national level/train often you do need to change rubbers frequently.

It seems like for your forehand it is more of a technique. You have to change your technique if you want more spin with the same speed but it takes lots of practice. Id suggest slowly making changes to your current technique but dont give up your speed. Changing to a new rubber will just make you feel like you have more spin when its new before it loses its grip slowly and you go back to square 1. Another way is to make use of your speed aiming the extreme corners is very effective and if you ask me i rather have speed than spin. Spin is easily controlled by mid level opponents. Of course both would be great but like i said it comes with practice not equipment.

For your backhand if it goes of the table close your bat angle more when blocking. Or if counter attacking do more of a “covering” motion above the ball to “press” it down onto the table.

Of course this is just my thoughts but I hope it helps!

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ahmad Arnous
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
If we disregard technique problem, what are some good rubbers than bluefire m1 that fits the above requirements of speed and spin? :confused:

I would just like some suggestions, but thanks for the feedback, I would see what's wrong with my technique.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
it totally depends on your level of play. those hard rubbers have MORE spin than soft ones if you have a good stroke.
if your stroke is not that developed you will find it easier to generate SOME spin with softer rubbers. so something like rasanter r42 will probably be easier for you to play with.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
To answer your basic question MXP and Tenergy 05 are the best rubbers (Spin + Speed) on both FH & BH. Yes you must have very good skills and played for many yesrs to handle rubbers like Tenergy. Bluefire is a good rubber. You can try Tenergy 05 FX that is softer and provides more spin and control. At early stages Yasaka Mark V is a classic.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
I wouldn’t say there is anything wrong with your technique. But if you like more spin you can make some micro-adjustments.
Dont waste your money buying new rubbers now. Why not try it for another 3-6 more months (depending on how frequent you train) and then changing the rubber based on your performance then and you could upgrade to tenergy or tibhar MXP then.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I'm quite new to table tennis equipment, and I have started using Donic Bluefire M1 Forehand and Bluefire M2 backhand for around 3 months now. I find the speed very astonishing with the M1 rubber paired with the Donic Perrson exclusive off blade. My forehand drives and forehand topspins easily land on the table, showing that my control is decent. But the spin of the M1 is not what I was hoping for. […]

Also, I would want a better backhand rubber for consistency. Many of my shots go on the net or off the table with the M2 rubber. With consistency, it could have less speed but definitely some amount of spin in my shots. What backhand rubber should I get?

Perhaps you could shoot some footage of your gameplay? You're using equipment that is targeted to advanced players, and if your skill level isn't quite there yet your mastery over it will be the limiting factor.

Reactions: Suga D
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
There are many ways to approach this. Some discussed.

You could keep the setup and give it more time. Whether we realize it or not, we adjust to our equipment and opponents.

You could go for this rubber or that. I have no fundamental opposition to a player selecting equipment that makes it easier to control what they do most. Why needlessly fight against equipment? I use a no frills control rubber on by and a modern off rubber on fh with a controllable blade. That setup has a balance of feel control spin speed... for all of what I do.

You could improve feel and whip to allow yourself to use most anything. TT is not easy and there are several differing paths of progress.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I'm quite new to table tennis equipment, and I have started using Donic Bluefire M1 Forehand and Bluefire M2 backhand for around 3 months now. I find the speed very astonishing with the M1 rubber paired with the Donic Perrson exclusive off blade. My forehand drives and forehand topspins easily land on the table, showing that my control is decent. But the spin of the M1 is not what I was hoping for. It takes a lot of effort to have spin with this rubber. I'm now hoping to find a rubber that has similar speed but more spin than the bluefire M1. As I said, I'm quite new to equipment, so I don't know if my blade doesn't provide the spin or if it's the rubber that needs more spin. What rubber should I try? (For Forehand)

(I have a play style of mid-distance from the table, and sometimes lobbing with counter smashes.)

Others have correctly pointed out that this is more likely an issue of technique than rubber. As far as equipment goes, I'd recommend looking into a different blade before changing rubber: get a flexible allround-ish 5 ply wood with a classic construction - like a Stiga Allround.

With a reasonably spinny, modern offensive rubber (which the m1 is) you should be able to generate good spin. Sure, some rubbers might help get more - esp relative to how much speed they generate. But unless you're already getting good spin, it won't be a magic bullet. And it may not help you all that much with improving your technique.

A flexy, not too fast looping blade, on the other hand, will help you improve your spin technique. You're having no trouble generating speed, but are struggling with getting good spin. Chances are that with your setup the ball leaves your blade before you've had the time you need to apply strong spin, using full, fast but relaxed strokes. A slower, flexible looping blade will probably be more help for that than a different rubber - and it should help your development a lot. (By the same logic, a slower rubber can help too, of course. But IMO changing the blade first is important.)

There are lots of good blades for that: Stiga Allround Classic, Stiga Allround Evolution, Yasaka Extra, Xiom Allround S, Bty Primorac, etc.

Last edited:
This user has no status.

Try Bluestone Z2 it has a great balance of everything

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
MXP is NO beginner's rubber, yogi.

I would rather recommend MarkV on a middle of the road All+ blade and learn proper looping first.
If you need more spin and speed learn body usage (hips, legs) and see how easy it is generating proper spin and speed without having to sacrifice lack of control in the first three balls.

If you're able to make little to no mistakes THEN it will make sense thinking about different equipment.

There are no shortcuts in TT. It's tricky. Everything that looks like a shortcut is actually a detour.

There only is one shortcut in TT and that's practice, practice, practice!

Last edited:
Reactions: Badger and Shifu
MXP is NO beginner's rubber, yogi.

I would rather recommend MarkV on a middle of the road All+ blade and learn proper looping first.
If you need more spin and speed learn body usage (hips, legs) and see how easy it is generating proper spin and speed without having to sacrifice lack of control in the first three balls.

If you're able to make little to no mistakes THEN it will make sense thinking about different equipment.

There are no shortcuts in TT. It's tricky. Everything that looks like a shortcut is actually a detour.

There only is one shortcut in TT and that's practice, practice, practice!

NOt if he uses the thinner version like 1.7mm

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
NOt if he uses the thinner version like 1.7mm

There are different philosophies about this, so i will not argue. Even some coaches over here recommend starting out with high-end rubbers like mxp, t80, t05 etc. and i even see one point in doing so.
Once the player develops he could still use the same rubber just in different sponge thickness and the switch wouldn't be so drastic, as if he would start with rather classical rubbers and then switch to high-end rubbers.

However, i think first focus on technique and then on equipment. Just imagine how much more someone who already gets very good speed and spin out of classic material would get if he then switches to something like t05 after having the basics down.
I've seen players at 2000 TTR (equivalent about 2300 - 2400 USATT) play succesfully with sriver and Donic Vario.

Reactions: BeGo