Returning player needs help identifying equipment

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
Several years ago, I played table tennis at a club for about a year. I recently moved to a new city and discovered a new club right next to my apartment.

I took some lessons previously and got a paddle through a coach at the old club. I can't seem to find out any details about the blade though. The staff at the new club say that I need to replace the rubber, but I don't know if this blade is of high enough quality to do that.

Should I just buy something new, or can I reuse what I have?

IMG-1232.jpg

IMG-1233.jpg

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What rubber is on the other side?

Can you take photos of both rubbers?

You likely can take those rubbers off and get new rubbers. But you may not need to. H3 last a really long time.

When you play with the blade and rubbers how they are, how does it feel to you? Do you like it? Does it feel like you need new rubbers? Does the blade feel good?

It is hard to tell if the guys at the club are giving you good info or trying to make some extra money from you if we can't see the state of the rubbers; the wear on the hitting surface.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Guoqiu = national sport, a brand based in Beijing, est. 1997.

This brand is choke full of nationalism, with a product line full of memes - A-bomb, Supersonic, Future Fighter(literally Terminator), Model for All People Exercise...

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
What rubber is on the other side?

Can you take photos of both rubbers?

You likely can take those rubbers off and get new rubbers. But you may not need to. H3 last a really long time.

When you play with the blade and rubbers how they are, how does it feel to you? Do you like it? Does it feel like you need new rubbers? Does the blade feel good?

It is hard to tell if the guys at the club are giving you good info or trying to make some extra money from you if we can't see the state of the rubbers; the wear on the hitting surface.

The rubber is the same on both sides, DHS Hurricane 3. I probably got the blade+rubber 8 years ago and played for 1-2 years or so. I didn't realize you had to change the rubber. I don't have it with me at the moment, but from just a picture the staff at the club said the rubber needs to be changed.

Having said that, I liked this setup a lot when I was practicing. I started with a carbon blade initially, and I think I can feel the ball better with the Chinese blade. I'd like to either keep this setup or replace it with something similar.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The rubber is the same on both sides, DHS Hurricane 3. I probably got the blade+rubber 8 years ago and played for 1-2 years or so. I didn't realize you had to change the rubber. I don't have it with me at the moment, but from just a picture the staff at the club said the rubber needs to be changed.

Having said that, I liked this setup a lot when I was practicing. I started with a carbon blade initially, and I think I can feel the ball better with the Chinese blade. I'd like to either keep this setup or replace it with something similar.

Next time you have the blade in hand, feel the top sheet of each rubber an see how it feels. If it feels grippy, you may be able to use it. If it feels slippery instead of grippy, you should change it.

You could also try this:

The first thing the guy does where he bounces the ball up and then gets the rubber to grip the ball and go back up. Try that. If the rubber can send the ball up instead of to the side when the racket is angled, the rubber has some grip and you can use it.

But, if you want to just get 2 sheets of H3 they are not expensive. They should be about $20.00 each.

Be careful when/if you take the old rubber off. You have to do it slowly and carefully so as not to damage the blade face. When rubbers have been on a blade for a long time, it becomes hard to take them off without damaging the blade.