Advice for intermediate player needed

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Hi,
I am knew to the forum (although I looked for similar topics and found only one).

I wanted to ask you for a suggestion. I am looking for a new bat and I don’t know which to buy. I played TT as a kid wih friends. Then in secondary school for four years I played TT quite a lot (almost everyday) and also attended tournaments for amateurs. I played with primorac off- and srivers rubbers. I never played in club with trainer (although during tournaments I played against teenagers from clubs). I think I am an intermediate player.
Now after 15 years I want to get back to TT and play it once, twice a week with friends and kids. I recently borrowed a blade primorac off- with rigans but that seem’s to have not to much spin and generally seems quite slow. I also played with grubba all + and tenergy 64 (old rubber after a pro use) but that combination did not work for me either.
Maybe you have any suggestions? I would prefer sth from butterfly or yasaka as those shops are near my home.
Thank you in advance for help.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
The Primorac is still a good blade and fast enough. Just wait a little bit until your ball feeling, technique, muscles etc. are back again or get some training lessons to speed that process up.
Butterfly: Rozena is somewhat between Sriver and Tenergy (much closer to Tenergy).
Yasaka: Rakza 7 both sides or maybe the softer Rakza 7 Soft for backhand. If you want to switch blades: Yasaka Sweden Extra.
Other manufacturers: Xiom Vega Pro both sides or Vega Pro forehand and Vega Asia for backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
The Primorac is still a good blade and fast enough. Just wait a little bit until your ball feeling, technique, muscles etc. are back again or get some training lessons to speed that process up.
Butterfly: Rozena is somewhat between Sriver and Tenergy (much closer to Tenergy).
Yasaka: Rakza 7 both sides or maybe the softer Rakza 7 Soft for backhand. If you want to switch blades: Yasaka Sweden Extra.
Other manufacturers: Xiom Vega Pro both sides or Vega Pro forehand and Vega Asia for backhand.

Thank you very much! I do not have any blade now, so if I ware to buy new would you stay with primorac? take any other from butterfly? (if so which one?) or go with sweden extra?
And how thick should the rubbers be?

Any other opinions?

Last edited:
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Opinions are like, erm, earlobes. Everybody’s got one or two.

That said, yay for the Sweden Extra, and as the butter flies I’d choose the Korbel over the Primorac by a narrow margin. Xiom’s Offensive S is also a fine blade, a close kin. Vega Pro: excellent.

Last edited:
Opinions are like, erm, earlobes. Everybody’s got one or two.

That said, yay for the Sweden Extra, and as the butter flies I’d choose the Korbel over the Primorac by a narrow margin. Xiom’s Offensive S is also a fine blade a close kin.
+1 for the blades.

+1 for Vega Pro both sides, Asia is so flat, it will be good when you knows you BH is more flat hits and blocks. I think the guy will developing this stroke so is better a rubber with more spin potentital.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Wow I can see that after those years nothing changed and best community is still around table tennis :) Thanx for your advices. After some reading I am looking more and more into direction of korbel? sweden extra?
But no idea which rubbers :)) from all those you suggested. And how thic as for now?

"Opinions are like, erm, earlobes. Everybody’s got one or two." - hehe best :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Yasaka Sweden Extra with Rakza 7 on both sides is an excellent choice. That's currently my primary blade and I'm very happy with it. If you want something faster, you could switch the blade to Yasaka Extra Offensive or Yakaka Ma Lin soft carbon. One of my prior setups was Yasaka Extra Offensive with Nittaku G-1 on both sides, but that was too fast for me.

Reactions: peplo and Ktandean
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I have Primorqc and Korbel both in black tags. I don’t like the Korbel as much because the feedback to my hands is quite muted. Primorac on the other hand has much more clear feedback and control.

If you have the money I high recommend either OSP Virtuoso OFF- (OFF+ doesn’t feel good) or Nittaku Acoustic. No other blade beat them with feel and control yet they are fast enough for the intermediate level.

Reactions: peplo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I think most of the time a blade is "too slow" for a beginner to intermediate level player it is more of a technique issue than a too slow blade issue.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
Hi, I was in exactly the same situation as you a few months ago. I was able to test a lot of woods and rubbers and here are my recommendations:

If your forehand gesture resembles that of the Chinese do not ask yourself any questions and try a DHS Hurricane 3 or a hybrid rubber (Rakza Z, Dignics 09C, Stiga Dragon Grip, etc...). Otherwise I recommend: Fastarc G-1, Rakza 7 or Vega Pro which are indeed very good choices. I preferred the G-1 even though they are all very similar.
On the backhand you can choose the same thing or take a slightly softer rubber like Fastarc C-1, avoid Vega Europe and Rakza 7 Soft which are too soft and sometimes lead to laziness in your movements.

The most decisive will be the blade here from slowest to fastest:
- Yasaka Sweden Extra: An incredible blade with which I progressed 10 times faster than with my others.
- Butterfly Korbel: Please note there are two versions (EU/JP). Excellent wood with a head weight and a (too) thin handle.
- Xiom Offensive S: Also excellent wood, more speed but less control than the Yasaka, also less feeling.
- Tibhar Stratus Power Wood: Faster version of the Xiom, larger dimensions and wider handle.

You can also aim for more expensive woods like the Nittaku Acoustic or even take an interest in composite woods: Xiom HAL, Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon, Timo Boll ZLF, ... but it's hard to recommend them to you without trying since they are for the mostly very expensive.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Thank you for all the advices! I believe that this topic may give some value for other intermediate players (I see not that many simillar discussions) not everyone likes to make a post but quite a few wish to find quick advice with google :) I am heading more and more into one of those two directions:
1. Butterfly korbel with Rozena 2mm
2. Yasaka Sweden Extra, Rakza 7 2mm

Do you have any experiences with that kind of set ups?
Which from those two would you choose?
Thanks a lot!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Read 1 reviews
Thank you for all the advices! I believe that this topic may give some value for other intermediate players (I see not that many simillar discussions) not everyone likes to make a post but quite a few wish to find quick advice with google :) I am heading more and more into one of those two directions:
1. Butterfly korbel with Rozena 2mm
2. Yasaka Sweden Extra, Rakza 7 2mm

Do you have any experiences with that kind of set ups?
Which from those two would you choose?
Thanks a lot!

Two great choices. It won’t matter really, which one of them you choose. The Korbel will be a little bit faster with a smaller handle. The Sweden Extra will be a litttle bit slower with a comfier handle. Both will have great spin possibilities.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
Rozena feels great, really easy to do anything, like all rubbers from 42° to 45°.
Rakza 7 is way more demanding, but it's a great rubber in all aspects.
For me, the right path could be the Rozenas and then Rakza on FH at least, but you never know, maybe you feel great playing mid hard rubbers...
Don't overthink about it, just grab the stuff and play, you can always buy and try other equipment because the rubbers wears off quickly.But my advice is to start with 42°/45° rubbers, like Rakza 7 soft both sides or Rozena both sides and then see if you feel the need of change.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
Rozena feels great, really easy to do anything, like all rubbers from 42° to 45°.
Rakza 7 is way more demanding, but it's a great rubber in all aspects.
For me, the right path could be the Rozenas and then Rakza on FH at least, but you never know, maybe you feel great playing mid hard rubbers...
Don't overthink about it, just grab the stuff and play, you can always buy and try other equipment because the rubbers wears off quickly.But my advice is to start with 42°/45° rubbers, like Rakza 7 soft both sides or Rozena both sides and then see if you feel the need of change.

Rakza 7 Soft is 40° but yes, Rozena with 45° will be perfect too, same hardness as Fastarc C-1.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Ok thank you all for your support! I will start with:
Yasaka Sweden Extra, Rakza 7 2mm.
Later on I do not want to start new topic so I will ask here as well. Did you stick with Yasaka Sweden Extra for a longer period and just changed rubbers (if so than which after Rakza 7?) or blade as well and to which?

Reactions: Godrules500