Shuki Development and Questions

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There have been a lot of good comments with a lot of good info. Interesting that NextLevel gave the same for playing penholders that I texted you before the thread was made. But NDH gave some good info too. Lots of good info.

I think Archo just misread and misunderstood how you said you struggle with penholders and want to get better and somehow heard that you don't like playing them. We are the oddballs who like playing Vs players who give us trouble. Okay, anyone who wants to improve will probably come to that.

My actual suggestion, these penholders you have access to play, they don't seem totally standard. Play them as much as you can and you will learn ways of playing them. Be creative. Try different things even if you think it won't work.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: ttmonster and Shuki
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
The majority of advice I've gotten from you all against how to approach penholders has been great, I'll be testing quite a bit of it tomorrow night. Thanks for all the help! Especially to TTmonster, ndh, carl, vvk1,and nextlevel

I'll be bumping this thread every week or so when I have questions or uploads wanting critique if you all don't mind

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I'd love to see JP if someone has video of him, Unfortunately since I'm not east coast I've never had the chance to meet such a player. This next year I'll be traveling quite a bit, florida in june, if anyone would like to meet up and hit :)

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Chinese penholders have a switchover point. It's just one of those things that people who don't have the right training can't find easily. It is closer to the elbow or the hip, depending on the particular penholder. You just have to look for it under the armpit and be patient.

The most important strategy I have found when playing penholders is to pull them out of the backhand corner and put the ball back there. If you do that, you will win most of the points.

FIRSTLY THIS IS ONLY SPEAKING OF TRADITIONAL PENHOLD. NO RPB

You told me everyone has a switchover point but after today, I played almost exclusively penholders trying to improve against them. I think you may have misinterpreted what I meant. And I would love for you to try and clarify again if I'm still wrong.

I noticed the penholders switchover point on their more active strokes, but when I attack and they block, they tend to do it right off the bounce with not much activity in their stroke. Do these blocks too have a switchover point?

I was more talking about when I attack at their elbow or hip and they're just blocking right over the table that they have no switchover point. I definitely noticed it on their active strokes though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
FIRSTLY THIS IS ONLY SPEAKING OF TRADITIONAL PENHOLD. NO RPB

You told me everyone has a switchover point but after today, I played almost exclusively penholders trying to improve against them. I think you may have misinterpreted what I meant. And I would love for you to try and clarify again if I'm still wrong.

I noticed the penholders switchover point on their more active strokes, but when I attack and they block, they tend to do it right off the bounce with not much activity in their stroke. Do these blocks too have a switchover point?

I was more talking about when I attack at their elbow or hip and they're just blocking right over the table that they have no switchover point. I definitely noticed it on their active strokes though.

Two points:

1) note that the existence of a switchover point as a weakness depends in part on how trained a player is at making a decision to use a stroke at the switchover point. Some players are so good that they will not look like they have a middle.

2) If someone is comfortably blocking your loops over the table, you need to raise the level of topspin. No one should be consistently able to do that. But yes, there is also a switchover point on blocking. The thing is that it is easy to train away unless they are blocking uncomfortable amounts of sidespin or topspin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
2) If someone is comfortably blocking your loops over the table, you need to raise the level of topspin. No one should be consistently able to do that. But yes, there is also a switchover point on blocking. The thing is that it is easy to train away unless they are blocking uncomfortable amounts of sidespin or topspin.

really interesting point here, haven't heard players say I don't have much topspin too often. And they do this same stuff against high level players we have. One of which that comes to mind is an older gentleman by the name of Parvis, who's right now I think 2350ish +/-100. He also doesn't loop with a lot of spin though so it would make sense that they can do this to him too. He's adapted to them now but the first few times the penholders came they gave him quite the upset considering the level difference.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I'd love to see JP if someone has video of him, Unfortunately since I'm not east coast I've never had the chance to meet such a player. This next year I'll be traveling quite a bit, florida in june, if anyone would like to meet up and hit :)

Here is Edmund taking a match from JP.

Here is JP taking a match from Edmund:

NextLevel has some videos playing JP at tournaments as well.

Reactions: Shuki
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
which of the two is jp?

edit: nevermind I see you saying this is him taking a match from jp

JP is the one who is pointing at the JP on his shoulder.

Kadzinski = not Chinese

Edmund Suen = not Eastern European. :)

Reactions: ttmonster and Shuki
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I would like my shot vs JP... I know E. Seun has a much better rally game and knowledge of this guy, but E Seun doesn't really do a lot to make him miss except keep it on the table... and JP misses damned too little. I wanna see how he handles heavy spin, like NL or me. I wanna see how he would cope with my serves or 3rd ball.

I wanna ROCK, ROCK, I want to ROCK.

Reactions: NextLevel