Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
By the way, Saturday, December 24th, my wife wanted me out of her hair in order to set up everything for Christmas. So after I finished working I played TT from 1pm to 7:30pm. I had a lesson with Paul David. I played an 1.5 hours with one of my main training partners. Then I played the rest of the time with Mark Croitoroo. Frick he is getting good at lefty fast. I think he may be about 2000 lefty now.

We did mostly serve and receive training. He had me working on evil serve receiving vs lefty serves. Previously he has showed me ways to drop the side/top serve short. If the racket is the right angle and the motion is correct from over the ball down on the inside of the spin, you can drop the ball short in an evil way. But Saturday he also showed me this crazy way to flip them that gives a wild junk ball. Totally nasty.

NextLevel, when we hang, I will show you. [emoji2]

The cool thing was that it helped the regular flip as well because you start out touching the same part of the ball for both. You just make two different motions.

When I did it correctly, I needed so little effort and the ball shot off my racket like a rocket because of how I was meeting the spin. Table tennis physics is cool as hell.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
NL , this is not fair , Carl cannot keep talking about all these secret techniques without video evidence and then make a deal with you under the table so that you don't protest ...

By the way, Saturday, December 24th, my wife wanted me out of her hair so after I finished working I played TT from 1pm to 7:30pm. I had a lesson with Paul David. I played an 1.5 hours with one of my main training partners. Then I played the rest of the time with Mark Croitoroo. Frick he is getting good at lefty fast. I think he may be about 2000 lefty now.

We did mostly serve and receive training. He had me working on evil serve receiving vs lefty serves. Previously he has showed me ways to drop the side/top serve short. If the racket is the right angle and the motion is correct from over the ball down on the inside of the spin, you can drop the ball short in an evil way. But Saturday he also showed me this crazy way to flip them that gives a wild junk ball. Totally nasty.

NextLevel, when we hang, I will show you. [emoji2]

The cool thing was that it helped the regular flip as well because you start out touching the same part of the ball for both. You just make two different motions.

When I did it correctly, I needed so little effort and the ball shot off my racket like a rocket because of how I was meeting the spin. Table tennis physics is cool as hell.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
I played in quite a big tournament today, class C which was up to 1750 (german ttr) and got 3rd. Played quite well but lost to a guy who is known to lose games on purpose to lower his rating and be able to play these tournaments, he was over 1850 some time ago...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
NL , this is not fair , Carl cannot keep talking about all these secret techniques without video evidence and then make a deal with you under the table so that you don't protest ...

Hahaha. Not sure if Mark will let me take a video of the secret training. But I will ask.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
That would be awesome , just try to awaken the Christmas spirit within him ...

Hey, I trained for something like 4.5 hours with a guy who, when his right shoulder was good was at least 2400 before he had to stop, who has trained his lefty from ZERO to about 2000 in a matter of months. So, as far as I am concerned, getting that physics level training is in the Xmas spirit.

And Mark is making me work on all that stuff that causes my level to not be as high as it should. All the serve and receive stuff I am weak at, he is getting me to work on. Because that is what he needs lefty too.

The main thing to understand though is something NL says pretty frequently. You want to contact where the spin is not a factor. So for that lefty serve I am talking about, you want to contact the inside of the ball like a fade. With this shot you just slide in and push forward almost like certain penhold receives you punch forward with the correct racket angle. But it is a sort of stroke rather than a punch.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I understand Carl :) , no offense meant and lots of props to him for working with you ..

Trying to understand what you described ... are you saying to soft flip it with the spin or with a little roll , I find that pretty handy especially in returning righty inside out serves short to the forehand corner , normally people don't expect it to come down the line ...

Hey, I trained for something like 4.5 hours with a guy who, when his right shoulder was good was at least 2400 before he had to stop, who has trained his lefty from ZERO to about 2000 in a matter of months. So, as far as I am concerned, getting that physics level training is in the Xmas spirit.

And Mark is making me work on all that stuff that causes my level to not be as high as it should. All the serve and receive stuff I am weak at, he is getting me to work on. Because that is what he needs lefty too.

The main thing to understand though is something NL says pretty frequently. You want to contact where the spin is not a factor. So for that lefty serve I am talking about, you want to contact the inside of the ball like a fade. With this shot you just slide in and push forward almost like certain penhold receives you punch forward with the correct racket angle. But it is a sort of stroke rather than a punch.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I understand Carl :) , no offense meant and lots of props to him for working with you ..

Trying to understand what you described ... are you saying to soft flip it with the spin or with a little roll , I find that pretty handy especially in returning righty inside out serves short to the forehand corner , normally people don't expect it to come down the line ...

Not sure I can describe it any better than I already did. It can be a crosscourt shot and that is more natural for it than down the line. But you are sliding forward on the inside of the ball and letting the spin on the serve sort of do the rest. If the serve was back/side instead of top/side and you did the same motion except under the inside of the ball, you would get a nasty push.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Driving to Kentucky, got about 6 hrs to go. There are a couple of part time clubs I hope to play at. Thought there was a camp close by but it is over 4 hrs away. Hopefully, I will get to play the 2200 who ducked me at the Teams to see whether he made a smart choice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I played in quite a big tournament today, class C which was up to 1750 (german ttr) and got 3rd. Played quite well but lost to a guy who is known to lose games on purpose to lower his rating and be able to play these tournaments, he was over 1850 some time ago...

Congratulations. Well done. Would like to see a vid of you playing.
Class C is quite good. So good job.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Had a customer tell me he wanted me to Beast Mod a Kim Jung Hoon blade for him. I made it a midnight adventure to take it apart and Beast Mod it up on a work night. What the heck, I can worry about being tired tomorrow. Short of it is, after I took all that time to slowly heat it up and take off both handles, the handles and the throat were TOTALLY SOLID.

This guy is getting a rare solid beast from factory, don't see that too often.

20161226_235144[1].jpg

This user has no status.
[QUOTE=Archosaurus;174241)

@Takkyu_wa_inochi

"Now that you mention it, I should probably order a copy of Larry Hodges' book. There's a lot of supposedly good material about table tennis in written form. How useful do you think books really are for improving as a player? In my case I could just misunderstand everything and spend more time reading than actually at the table."

You should absolutely get his book. Taught me almost all I know about Table Tennis Tactics, though I am not actually good enough to appreciate some of it.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Had a customer tell me he wanted me to Beast Mod a Kim Jung Hoon blade for him. I made it a midnight adventure to take it apart and Beast Mod it up on a work night. What the heck, I can worry about being tired tomorrow. Short of it is, after I took all that time to slowly heat it up and take off both handles, the handles and the throat were TOTALLY SOLID.

This guy is getting a rare solid beast from factory, don't see that too often.

View attachment 11677

Maybe they changed the design because of you? Hahaha. I would reglue the handle and keep that one if I was you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I had to cancel my TT session today as my ankle has not recovered yet. Sad times.

ugh, sorry to hear si-hing ... speedy and healthy recovery!

That camera angle at ~1:07 - 1:17!!! you can see the great spin you generated!!

~1:35 - 1:48 / ~2:35-2:42 HULK SMASH! -- great 70% power/speed smashes ... if it was me, i would be 110% all out smashing and probably why i beat myself ... safer controlled smashing from you!!

~ 2:59 - 3:03 SPEEDY FOOTWORK!

~ 4:10 -4:16 THAT RPB!!

Thank you for sharing!

I may not have time to compile my best points from the few videos of my matches :(

Reactions: JeffM and ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Great points Jeff !
I had to cancel my TT session today as my ankle has not recovered yet. Sad times. I probably cant play tomorrow with my friends as well even though I only see them once a year. But I have taken the time to make a review that features a collection of my best points of 2016. To be honest, I did not really believe I actually did it, as it took a considerable amount of time to go through my videos, (ever since I made the bold move of recording all my matches starting very early this year).

I have created a new thread with the video so others can post there too if they decide to make one for themselves. I did it this year because I knew it won't be some time till I will get my skills back to my optimum, as the year ahead is going to be very busy for me to finish my final year of studies, and I am still currently suffering from this ankle injury... (very frustrating). But I will re-post my video here in case my fellow TTD chit chat friends miss that thread.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The post offices all closed early today, leaving me looking like an idiot with rubbers in my hand to main in front of their doors. I am travelling to Kentucky tomorrow or Monday, so I will likely carry the stuff for Richie and RayLazyFo with me to mail there.

By the time I get back, probably on Thursday or Friday, the Karis order I placed would have arrived and I can settle the other prize winners. Thanks again for all your patience.

So I got Richie's and RayLAzyfo's stuff out today - they get two brand new rubbers each. I might not get home until Friday this week but whenever I do, I will work on setting everyone else. Unfortunately, because of the price of international postage, I could not add tracking to the postage but I hope things will work out well. If not, then I will feel bad but I did the best I reasonably could.

And just because they got two brand new rubbers doesn't many anyone or everyone else will...