Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says what [IMG]
Suds, though it likely applies to both of you.
In my experience, a very fast grazing movement will produce more spin than a hit. However, if you hit hard enough, there is still a good level of spin, so maybe I just need to hit harder. It's especially evident against backspin that I just basically smash into tangentially and the ball comes out very heavy. How much of that is just the backspin helping, I don't know.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
What people think is grazing so usually much more than that. But there is no need to make this about language.

It's really the turning aspect of the stroke that adds the spin. Rubbers with higher throw can add this turning effect into their design so you get it on hits. I prefer Rubbers that are linear so I create my own turning effect. Lower level play but at least it is compatible with my brain.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Hey guys, how are you all doing?

So the league Season is finished and our team got third in the group of eight. Sadly not enough for the rank up into the 3. league.

However my stats weren't all that bad. In the individual ranking of the league I placed third in about 50 people with 32:6 stats. 19:2 in the second part of the season ( we play every team twice).

I lost to a much higher rated player twice and in the last match I lost a very close match against a counter hitter who played his A game. He killed every slow and spiny topspin threw at him. At 0:2 i realized he couldn't loop all that well against backspin. So i got up to 2:2 but lost in the fifth due to 4 freaking net balls!In a row, from 6:6 to 6:10 and then he killed my long fast serve.

Still i am happy with my season. On the weekend of the 8. april im going to play a team tournament on Saturday and a singles on Sunday. Maybe I can get some more points to get up to 930 - wich is about 1750 usttr.

Another good thing is that i feel like i am improving a lot in the last couple weeks. I got a very good hint about the backhand flick from a good player and it really helped me! Gotta get some new video on that! I am curious on how it looks!

Plus a woman from Germany is staying at Bern for about half a year. She has a ttr rating of about 1500-1600 and plays in Köln. I learn a lot from playing with her. And today i even managed to beat her for the first time! Those fast games with super cool topspin rally are just so much fun!! Next time i will ask her if i can record a match against her.

Cheers!

Edit: The individual Ranking of my league:
http://click-tt.ch/cgi-bin/WebObjec...ingTotal&championship=MTTV+16/17&group=199340

Wow. Glückwunsch Noël, bisch guät gsii.
[EMOJI6]
Drittbeschter vom Bärnpiet!
[Emoji106]
Well done. I'm sure if you keep on you'll be advancing next season.

says what [IMG]
What people think is grazing so usually much more than that. But there is no need to make this about language.

It's really the turning aspect of the stroke that adds the spin. Rubbers with higher throw can add this turning effect into their design so you get it on hits. I prefer Rubbers that are linear so I create my own turning effect. Lower level play but at least it is compatible with my brain.
To be honest, I kind of understand what you mean, but at the same time, I don't.

I think instead of really thinking about these things too much, I will just try to do the best I can on the table. I think I am reaching a respectable level of spin. If only my partner could get even one real loop back: he kept throwing brush loops off the end today and it drove me mad. :rolleyes:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
How much longer after a point are you allowed to touch the table?

Are you ever able to touch it? Even after the point somewhat? What's the rule on this?

I was watching this match with He Zhi Wen and he clearly touches the table at this point.

Go to 8:00 I tried linking directly to that time however it didn't work.

Even his opponent doesn't seem to like it. However the video at the point was cut and onto the next point where they scored it for He Zhi Wen.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
How much longer after a point are you allowed to touch the table?

Are you ever able to touch it? Even after the point somewhat? What's the rule on this?

I was watching this match with He Zhi Wen and he clearly touches the table at this point.

Go to 8:00 I tried linking directly to that time however it didn't work.

Even his opponent doesn't seem to like it. However the video at the point was cut and onto the next point where they scored it for He Zhi Wen.

As long as you don't move the table, the only part of your body that cannot touch the table is your non-racket hand. If you a) move the table with any part of your body or b) touch the table with your non-racket hand, you lose the point.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
To be honest, I kind of understand what you mean, but at the same time, I don't.

I think instead of really thinking about these things too much, I will just try to do the best I can on the table. I think I am reaching a respectable level of spin. If only my partner could get even one real loop back: he kept throwing brush loops off the end today and it drove me mad. :rolleyes:

Can you graze something and make it rebound off your racket? Of course not. It is really the tangential element of the stroke that creates the spin, and that tangential element has to turn the ball. The grazing is thicker than it seems to be, and thick grazing may actually get more spin if the turning effect on the ball is higher.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Especially so today, if the impact graze is too thin, particularly on a serve return, the ball will slip off the rubber. Many of us call this a plastic ball slip. There is a little different impact required with the plastic ball to spin it well, you need to get the ball into the topsheet before flinging it. This was always true with 40mm celluloid ball, but you could get away with a little less on the celluloid ball. Your impact firming is ever so slightly delayed. You think about this and try to hit, you will be messed up. This is one of those tiny adjustments one makes and doesn't consciously think about. That is why it can be easy or difficult to adjust to new equipment.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Wow. Glückwunsch Noël, bisch guät gsii.
[EMOJI6]
Drittbeschter vom Bärnpiet!
[Emoji106]
Well done. I'm sure if you keep on you'll be advancing next season.

Hahah :D Thanks Suga D :)

Jea I am really motivated!
How is your league pay going?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
Is there a rule about how long the server can take to make his serve? Today I had to play against the most annoying opponent ever. For every of his serve, he would first wait a couple of seconds (2-4) while looking at me, then go into position to serving but before serving he would spin his blade around 2-6 times. Sometimes he would spin it two times, wait some moments and then spin another 2 times. This was a horror show to me.

I know that some people here do not see it that way but I think this was completely unsportsmanlike. When you get ready to serve you may bounce the ball 1 or 2 times to think about what you want to do but beyond that it is just plain bs.#

As a receiver when you see someone getting ready to serve you can only keep the tension up for a couple of moments.

If at least he was consistent in what he was doing I could have dealt with it, but not with this. I haven't felt this amount of hatred for a player in a very long time (sorry :mad: ).

Needlessly to say he was way below my rating. If I would have been able to get some rhythm into my play such a player does not make 5 points in a set against me.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Garrison, a very irritating act I often see is someone gives the ball back, then takes 4 to 6 seconds to wipe and get set. Why give ball back if one is not ready? I understand 1 to 3 seconds, it takes that long to take a micro step and squat into ready position.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
This is a very common phenomena in amateur settings , I know better players who do this and frustrate higher rated opponents and even manage to beat them , I completely agree with the consistency part, and unless you have an umpire overseeing the match there is little you can do. There are even other varieties who start serving when you get the ball back for them and is yet to get into ready position. For those kind I have a solution, I first into my ready position and then give the ball back :p , but there is no real solution to deal with the problem you have stated . The only thing you could do is in case you feel you are not in your rhythm just pull up with hands raised and make them go through the motions again and again ... see if this works and they understand to behave better

So I would say , don't let it get to you , just figure out a way to deal with it.

Is there a rule about how long the server can take to make his serve? Today I had to play against the most annoying opponent ever. For every of his serve, he would first wait a couple of seconds (2-4) while looking at me, then go into position to serving but before serving he would spin his blade around 2-6 times. Sometimes he would spin it two times, wait some moments and then spin another 2 times. This was a horror show to me.

I know that some people here do not see it that way but I think this was completely unsportsmanlike. When you get ready to serve you may bounce the ball 1 or 2 times to think about what you want to do but beyond that it is just plain bs.#

As a receiver when you see someone getting ready to serve you can only keep the tension up for a couple of moments.

If at least he was consistent in what he was doing I could have dealt with it, but not with this. I haven't felt this amount of hatred for a player in a very long time (sorry :mad: ).

Needlessly to say he was way below my rating. If I would have been able to get some rhythm into my play such a player does not make 5 points in a set against me.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Anyways , just wanted to share my happiness , just played too good today against my regular opponent, after a long long time. Played in total 4 matches , it went 3-0, 3-1 , 1-3 , 3-2 on my favor. After losing the third match , a little rest and a banana helped.
Looking back, the few things I did that helped
1. disciplined serving , my opponent is a japanese pen hold so combination of short , half long , heavy and light underspin with the occassional no spin , most of it to the backhand corber , with mixtures of corkscrew sidespin kept him honest. Did not try my fancy reverse serves, because I have been missing the third ball too much too often and the sidespin was making the return too unpredictable. I guess I have resigned to follow NL's path in serving strategy and it seems to be working for now ...

2. kept my stroke shorter , especially my backhand was just rocking today. keeping the ball on the table with spin and being mentally ready to get into rallies without overshooting the power really helped

3. tried to remain as close to the table as possible , especially on the backhand taking the ball early ...

Anyways , hopefully will be able to maintain the level . generally my legs are too tired to play this well on friday , not sure how I pulled it out today ..... I guess I have finally figured a stock game plan to beat my friend consistently now ... hopefully it will only help in raising both our levels going forward ..

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
@Garrison

I get this a lot in the venue I play at, a public highschool.

Just get used to it and be ready to return. Don't think about it too much. It's a tactic to annoy you: and it's working.

If they serve and you're not ready, just hold your hand up and explain to the umpire why. Whatever you do, don't hit the ball especially if they serve early! Then it's in play officially and you can't just say you're "not ready".

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Hahah :D Thanks Suga D :)

Jea I am really motivated!
Yeah, i can see. Great.
:)
Keep it up, man.
How is your league pay going?

Well it could be better, but it also could be a lot worse, so i'm grateful for every little thing.
We still have one last league match to go, but already secured second place a week ago. The team Ranking number three can't catch up anymore. So we made it to Relegation!
[Emoji2]
Not sure if i told you that our club got two new players last year. So we formed a whole new team this season and had to start from scratch in the lowest league. I used to play a little higher so most opponents weren't my level. Still i had two unexpected losses. Two too many

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Garrison, a very irritating act I often see is someone gives the ball back, then takes 4 to 6 seconds to wipe and get set. Why give ball back if one is not ready? I understand 1 to 3 seconds, it takes that long to take a micro step and squat into ready position.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I've done this when my opponent takes too long to serve. I'll be the receiver in the ready position, they do a bunch of nonsense to mess with my patience/readiness, then I stand up and go wipe my hand on the table.

I need to reset simply because THEY took too long and caused me to not be ready again.